• Tweets

• The Letter of Claim information is not absolutely essential, but it would be useful for two reasons. Firstly, judges take a dim view of companies or individuals who rush to court without giving the other party notice and a chance to settle - the Letter of Claim.  If they didn't send it we could include this point in your defence and it would be detrimental to them. Secondly, we know Countrywide.  They are a very small cowboy company.  The are reluctant to do court, simply becasue they are very bad  at it.  Their record of beating Caggers in front of a judge is exactly 0%.  They have lost every time.  They send the Letter of Claim also to look for people who don't reply, thinking that the person might not reply to a claim form either, giving them an easy default win.  Conclusion - always best to reply to a Letter of Claim and ridicule the PPC's case.
    • Any update here? I ask as we have someone in a similar situation.
    • Thanks!  I already sent the acknowledgement as i panicked and thought today was the last day to respond.  Then i remembered this wonderful forum.  I'll follow the steps in the sticky next.
    • It's possible.  I suffer from ADHD and also anxiety and depression currently and struggle with paperwork.  I'll have a search around to see if i can find anything.  If they did send something I haven't replied.  I thought there's no way that they will pursue this because I know for a fact i didn't park in a private space and the evidence they have sent is so ridiculous.  What impact does this other paperwork have?
    • The particulars of claim doesn’t mention statement of accounts.  Should I include that in the cpr letter?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A little owed from the Alliance & Leicester

reduk054
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thought that I would join this group as currently am owed a little from Alliance & Leicester.

Being a very new customer (infact this was a parachute account from Lloyds my main account) I have all of my charges, totalling £102.00 for non payment of DD (three in total)

Sent a letter giving them 14 days to put money back into account (deadline yesterday) from the Library section of this website. This was the letter before action. I only did this because I knew how much they owed and did not need to contact them for any further statements (which most people seem to have to).

Now I am on the Money claim website to start the next part of my claim.

Alliance & Leicester did acknowledge my letter (kind of) by sending a standard " we are sorry to hear you are not happy with the service you have received, ....we will get back to you" blah blah.

Will keep you all posted......

27th April 06, Claim 6QZ26588

Notice that Acknowledgement of Service has been filed. Defendant has 28 days from the date of service of the claim form to file a defence.

Jackie McGuirk (busy lady) intending as (defendant') Solicitor to defend all of the claim.

Saw a familiar typeface on a white envelope in my mail this morning - that of Alliance & Leicester. Got excited as with all of these quick turn arounds of full refunds occuring on this site (well done all!) I was hoping for the same.

Mind you the postage pre-paid was 1st Class so I really should have guessed that it was not a refund, but infact a letter telling me (six weeks after the request) that I would not be getting the £250 overdraft I had requested. :sad:

I had applied for the o/d before I had really dealt with this fantastic site, now I have submitted a claim, so not surprised that I have had the knock back.

I can see some more unlawful charges heading my way - hope this will go in my favour for any potential court action, as I am trying to run my account effectively, and stay within my t&c's haha:razz:

At least I have the relevant letters on my desktop thanks BAG!

:D Settled in full. Cheque for total claimed including court costs.

Normal non-admission covering letter from the bank.

Thank you all!!

Helpful message for all of you dealing with Money CLaim on line, you cannot change the information stating that Defendant has paid in full on that site. You must send the claim number and date of payment by e-mail fax or letter to the Court,and they will update accordingly.

Excellent news - but not unexpected ;-)

Would you (are indeed, have you?) complete the survey for us?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/survey.php

Cheers,

Dave.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

Once I've digested the FAQ I'll do the same, I too am looking for £102.00, I could go further as I've had an account with A&L for over 15 years.

Its only a basic cash account and the problems always arise due to them taking 8 working to days to clear cheques ( is it fair that current accounts only take 4 days ? )

Will open a thread when I start.

• 2 weeks later...

Since winning my claim:) I have been advised by A&L when my account is teetering over with unpaid direct debits that they will not be charging me on this occasion as my accounts are in the process of being switched!

Think this is because I swapped over to A&L after starting legal biz with my premier account Lloyds, rather than the fact that they dont want me threatening court action with them again!

Good luck everyone, keep going or start your claims...its worth it

That's an added bonus then. Well done:p

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi again everyone - thanks for your messages. This forum gets more exciting with every day that passes, and I hope you all will be grinning like me soon!

Sparol - have you received your cheque yet?

Fuz - if you need any help getting started then pm me, A&L claim was quite straight forward, go back for the full 6 years of charges, and start with asking for a DPA request - contact info is in FAQs/other threads.

Spoke to A&L today to ask them to cancel a DD, which should be coming out of my account and asked them if they would charge me tongue in cheek! They said no (good, saves me a letter!) oh, and I phoned them on their cheapy tel no which is not the 0870 / 0845 number so money saved all round! Yippee:)

Hi, I just got my umbrella account set up but

it doesn't allow any online banking ( Lloyds TSB basic crap a/c ).

So time for a re-think.. I need to be able to pay creditors online, I need to be able

to recieve payments from clients online.. can't afford to have the account closed before I have another to replace it and the Ltsb just doesn't cut it. I will only use that for cheques coming in.

FUZ - the Natwest Step Account allows you to set up DD and SO online (not sure about Bill Payments though). I have only just opened mine, but used to deal with them donkeys years ago, and have been the best bank i have used (don't mention this to anyone from the Natwest threads!!)

Good Luck

NeilP

Fuz it sounds as if you need a good business account. Unfortunately my business account is with Lloyds so I can't advise you on that issue (although I can say that Lloyds have kept the business account open even with the late stage that I am at with them and my impending court case for unlawful charges on my personal account - separate thread under relevant bank action group forum) . Lots of people on this site have been opening a natwest parachute / umbrella account, but again I have not so can't tell you what facilites they have!

There have been various comments/discussions regarding bank account closures, although I have not actually read of anyone being forced to close their account, although some banks have flexed their muscles say asking for cheque books etc to be returned, how this affects on line banking i don't know, maybe any moderator could assist here????!!!!

I like your comment regarding using the Lloyds account for paying cheques in.....for example cheques for unlawful bank charges!;)

I know I need a good business account but I won't be getting one anytime soon :)

I went to Lloyds with someone who was " a good friend of the manager " .. expecting to be waived through the hoops and get a normal current a/c.

No such luck so rather than say " forget it" I allowed myself to be lumbered with an account with half the usability of my A/L account :sad:

I guess if I try for a Natwest a/c they see all the searches etc and ask why I need so many :D

So not really ready to send THAT letter to the A/L yet .

HELP

:mad:

Have received notification that A&L will be closing my account on 30th June 06 because I have refuse to abide by their terms and conditions.

Has this happened to anyone recently? What do I do now? Do I have any grounds to challenge.

A&L seem to have had the last laugh, and I am furious.

PLEASE REPLY!

what a bunch of b*****ds a & l are...my advice to you is write to a & l saying that you are not happy about the acct closure and say that you will be sending the letter you recd from them to the office of fair trading as you believe this to be a retalitary action by them regarding unlawful charges...then see what happens...good luck paul

Paul, thanks for your words. I am a little calmer now, after all of my posts regarding the unlikely event of the bank threatening closure, and then as if by magic it happens to me!

I will make a decision over the weekend, but I think i need clarification from A&L as to which t&c's i have not agreed to. Also i have another current joint account with them, which they have not YET threatened to close. Better not bring that one up!

A & L have done this to a few people. Take a look through the forum as I am sure this is covered somewhere, and others in this situation have started taking action. From memory McUth is one of them, so look for his posts in the A&L forum. Sorry I can't be more specific but this is just why it is recommended that you have a parachute account. Don't let them get to you.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Caro, thanks for your words, and advise, I will search this particular BAG forum for more help with this impending premature closure of bank account. My other searches for genuine customers with similar predicaments has proved fruitless! You have made me determined to persevere!

The irony is, is that this A&L account IS my parachute account!

What another fine mess I have got myself into, to paraphrase a fine comedy duo!

In the Legalities section of the genreal forum came across this useful link, Bank threats to close your account may be unfair which was last added to on 26th may, this is not specific to A&L but certainly, a few interesting points in general. Probably fair to say that I am not going to be allowed to keep this account open but I will go kicking and screaming (or maybe talking loudly)!

Personally I think you will be will rid of them. I was only with them about 7 months, before I closed it despite the "interest free" overdraft for 12 months. I could not afford to stay with them any longer.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks