• Tweets

• Alan Bates is in the Guardian today. Our Post Office victory is being twisted by those who don’t want to see its like again | Alan Bates | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Litigation funders didn’t ‘exploit’ subpostmasters, they helped us. Those who attack them have corporate interests at heart, says former subpostmaster...  
    • Appreciate your response BankFodder. I am aware that the Consumer Rights Act does not apply in my case as I operate a business and, instead, should rely on the Supply of Goods and Services Act and Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977. I was a little unsure as, when I read the judgement of Hashim Farooq v EVRi Parcelnet, July 2023 I presumed that,  as Farooq had supplied laptops through Amazon,  the Consumer Rights Act would not apply but the judge refers to it in Section 22 as to why the claimant should be given judgment. Have I read this correctly? The reason for not offering full reimbursement was because I did not take out insurance for the full value.  In regards to correspondence from my customer,  I have emails from her in my timeline stating that she was waiting all week and that no one attempted delivery.  I have no doubt that she will be willing to corroborate the events with a written statement.
    • When you post information here you will have to post it in single file multipage PDF format. Follow the upload link. However, it would be more helpful if you could simply answer the questions that we have put to you and we can deal with paperwork afterwards if we think we need it.  
    • I was trying to post all the paperwork that I have, namely facebook ad, messages between the seller and my son etc . But I'm getting the message that the files are to large. 
    • First of all please can you tell us the name of the seller, something about the van – age/year, mileage, price paid. How far away is the seller from where your son lives? Who do you take it to for this inspection? Are they prepared to give you a written list of the things that they found? This is very important and you may well have to get an independent inspection from somebody such as the AA. This will cost you some kind of feedback we expect that we will be able to help you get it back. I would say that if you have to bring a court claim – which is likely – then your chances of success are better than 95% but the difficulty might be enforcing the judgement against the seller. We will have to no more in order to give you better advice. Does it have an MOT? What is the date of it and who gave it the MOT? I suggest that you start taking pictures of all of the defects that you can find.   Also I am going to say that I believe that you came over from Facebook where you were already informed that we would need at least all of the information which I have requested above. It will save a lot of time and effort for everybody if you can simply come up with the things that we ask without too much delay
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

dtollan vs RBOS

dtollan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6287 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Bill,

I can't seem to get the link to work...i am using firefox and it wont open......i also tried internet explorer...no luck with that either.

If you'd be good enough to retry I'll give it another bash...or...i could PM you my e-mail addy and you could send it that way.......

let me know what you thinks best.

cheers

By all means PM me, mate. The file-share link has worked, but is a bit new for me. You might need to temporarily disable your pop-up filter for it (yellow warning box near top of screen) It's an attempt to cater for those who understandably don't want to give a gorilla their e-addy !! I'll send as an attachment.

• Haha 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, Many thanks for the e-mail...that worked this time and i have the spreadsheets.

Will follow your instructions and try and fill em in tomorrow, once i'm released from work!!.

will let you know how it goes...unless the interest amount goes down...then i'll keep shtoom;)

thanks again.

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

2/11/2006 - Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

16/11 - Statements Received (envelope slightly torn, no cover letter)

18/11 - Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

12/12 - Prelim Letter Sent Recorded Delivery To Local Branch

30/12 - Offer received for all charges minus interest

13/01/07 - Letter of rejection sent,along with new prelim (adjusted interest calculated)

29/01 - LBA sent recorded delivery

**NATIONWIDE**

5/11/06 - Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

13/11 - Acknowledgement of S.A.R received

23/11 - Statements Received (Special Delivery with cover letter, very impressed, good service)

12/12 - Prelim Sent Recorded Delivery To Local Branch

13/01/07 - New Prelim sent (adjusted interest calculations)

Hi Bill,

Have just finished inputting my figures into your spreadys..my claim has leapt upwards!!:o...was hoping to e-mail you the spready and see what you think....if you have the time?

Didn't want to just e-mail it to you without notice.

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

13/01/07 - Letter of rejection sent,along with new prelim (adjusted interest calculated)

**NATIONWIDE**

23/11 - Statements Received (Special Delivery with cover letter, very impressed, good service)

Hi Bill,

Have just finished inputting my figures into your spreadys..my claim has leapt upwards!!:o...was hoping to e-mail you the spready and see what you think....if you have the time?

Didn't want to just e-mail it to you without notice.

cheers

That's fine mate, go ahead. Thanks for asking first !

Hi Bill,

Thanks for looking over that spreadsheet, much appreciated.

With regards to whether some of the amounts are charges or not.....I think your referring to the ones that are £10.00 and £10.17?.....These are referred to on my statements as CHG TO 20 FEB and CHG TO 03 APR.....and they also included £5 extra for Royalties fees, so I took £5 off the original amounts and inserted the rest. I think that should pass as admissable. What do you think? Also the letter they sent me back offered me the full amount of charges including those ones....so if they're willing to repay it now without interest then they must be charges?

Also should I delete columns H-P on the spready completely as I don't need them......or just print out the necessary columns for sending to the bank/court etc.

cheers.

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

That's good, then DT. They've already agreed they're refundable, so go with that - well done, mate.

I'd suggest you just print out the relevant columns A to E. If you delete any columns, it affects some of the totals in columns A to F. I'll try and sort that out in a later version of the spready.

If you claim lower rates in the alternative (when/if it comes to sending in a claim to court), then you will need to print columns A to G to cover these rates.

Ok, having already been offered £1714, should I forget that i ever made that claim and start from scratch?......along with writing a seperate letter rejecting the offer?...or accept it as part payment towards new total (from Bills spready).

I cant help but think that it'd be easier to reject the offer outright and send a new prelim letter for new amount. What position does that put me in when it comes to filing court papers? The courts could interperate that as me being difficult etc...(if you know what I mean).

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Not at all, DT. Drop the claim as it is, and tell the bank that, because of all the time this has taken, you have had the opportunity of taking further advice on this, and are now submitting a new claim for (max rate ?) penalties plus Compound interest. You haven't involved the court in this, yet, so the villains of this piece are the bank, for not paying your original and smaller claim.

You have been more than reasonable !!!

cheers once again Bill, sounds like a plan......prelim letter in the post tomorrow.

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Hi again,

I added this paragraph to the start of my new inproved prelim letter

Due to your unsatisfactory response to my previous letter and the time taken to resolve this issue, I have had the opportunity to take further advice on the matter. As a result, I hereby reject your previous offer of £1714.00 as settlement of my complaint.

and also included my new claim as follows.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £1,714.17, I add to this, compound interest of £1502.41. Total £3216.58 I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.

Is this sufficient to now continue with new claim......not sent it yet so feel free to edit as appropriate.

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Thanks Bill, a second opinion is ALWAYS reassuring regardless how trivial my questions are..:)

I will change complaint to claim..makes a bit more sense.

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

• 2 weeks later...

Got a letter back from RBOS....."we are looking into your request and will get back in due course...."..

4 days and counting........

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Hi,

Just penning my LBA....whilst printing out my schedule of charges I realised that obviously, its updated itself to todays date. Should I point this out in my LBA.....i have written a piece into my LBA saying:

"Due to the length of time being taken to resolve this issue may I point out that interest is accruing daily on each charge, my summary of charges has therefore been updated to take this into account."

is this the right thing to do?...or should i just amend my amounts in the LBA and say no more?

your thoughts?

cheers

found this story too, quite worrying....yet funny too. can she claim all those other peoples charges too? BBC NEWS | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Woman gets 75,000 bank statements

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

• 3 weeks later...

hi Bill hope you can help here.

I just discovered the chatroom in here and after some discussion i have been advised to accept the offer of all my charges minus interest. This being on the reason that as the bank have offered all my money I cannot proceed to court just to claim interest. Whats your thought on all this?

Also i have a nationwide claim ongoing and haven't had any replies at all from them other than a big eff off......in the chatroom they are advising against contractual rate because judges are now dismissing these cases. again what do you think? should i proceed with this on statutory interest rate or keep going contractual?.....this has really bruised any confidence i had.

having followed what i was doing from the start i'd really appreciate your thoughts

cheers.

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Thanks all for the replies.

I have read through the thread kate posted and it is very useful. I am not overly concerned about claiming contractual interest.....i just feel that i am owed a bit more than just my basic charges back. If i had this money all this time then I would have earned interest on it and not the bank.

The situation so far is......that i wrote a prelim with contractual interest....the bank replied to this with an offer of 100% charges refund but no interest....my calculations were slightly wrong on the interest side so i decided not to pursue this claim and rejected their offer along with putting a new prelim letter in. The reply to this new prelim letter was that they were looking into my complaint etc etc and would get back to me.......they didnt so i wrote my lba.......therefore in essence they havent offered me a refund at all for this complaint. I have had e-mail contact with tommy mclean and he has said all along that he is willing to refund my charges minus interest. not sure if e-mails are admissable in court?

Am i able on these grounds to continue to court and ask for either unauth-cont-int, auth-cont-int. or 8% and let a judge decide whats the correct rate. I understand that a judge may decide to throw my case out as I have been offered all charges and then i may be in trouble with costs etc.

willowb, i dont know if it would be fast track or not....the full amount is 3300 or thereabouts and i havent even filed a claim with the court yet....my lba deadline was up on monday and im dithering now.

All input is valued and i appreciate everyones thoughts. I seem to be veering towards accepting the banks offer of all charges minus interest simply because my confidence is low after this afternoon.

cheers

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

i sent a new prelim....with a section added explaining that due to the time being taken to reslove my complaint I'd had time to take further advise and was revising the amount i was claiming, and as a result i was rejecting their offer.

i feel even though i did this, i'm still on dodgy ground as they still offered me the amount of the charges.

**ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND

**NATIONWIDE**

Guest willowb

Oh dear!:( I asked Bill to help the OP as he had decided to claim contractual interest, Bill knows his stuff in that department and he kindly obliged.....I don't think that there was any need for this.

You should be cautious about any advice given here, or in the chat room, this isn't a game! If in doubt seek professional advice. Over time you get to trust people and Karn and Bill are two people I trust and they have both given sound advice IMO.

Again, IMO I would take the offer! but at the end of the day, it's up to you. I wish you luck whatever you decide!

Wxxx

The only point that needs to rammed home here is that the OP (dtollen) had expressed the fact that the bank offered to refund the charges in their entirety.

This should have stuck out like a sore thumb to anyone reading the thread from that point onwards. It does not seem to have been highlighted until Karnevil's post.

Let's concentrate on the only thing that really does matter for the OP please - the claim was accepted by the bank who offered a full refund. They are under no obligation whatsoever to offer interest at either 8%, 18% or any percent.

The claim you make is for the refund of charges taken unlawfully.

dtollen - you need to address this issue now. Make sure that the bank are still happy to pay the amount of charges and then accept it. If they decline to do so now, put your request in writing and explain that there was simply a confusion about the sums being mentioned and you are willing to avoid court action if they will now revert to their original position.

Other misunderstandings will not help the OP and should be be kept off this thread.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Well, there's me put in me place then. I'll apologise for the third time, for not being in error, and for being told I was. You have a choice here, then DT. You either do what Karn tells you or you do what Karn tells you. That's certainly cleared up your confusion, hasn't it ?

You're clearly in good hands here, and I wish you every success with your claim, my friend. :)