Jump to content

ESA Permitted Work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3624 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Sorry to piggyback onto this thread but I can never work out how to start a new one.


I have not received any news from the DWP since filing my ESA50 in September. I don't therefore know whether I have been placed in the WRAG or Support Group. I suspect the former.


I assume the lack of response from them (well not lack, they still pay my benefits, thank god) re my group is because of the ATOS issue.


My health has both improved and worsened: musculo-skeletal pain improved, mental health worsened since losing my dad, epilepsy much worse.


However, the improved bit does mean that I can now sit at a computer or do something else for a few hours per week. I am not so miserable and depressed because of constant pain.


I therefore want to apply to do permitted work, so that I have a safety net while I try to set myself up as, eg a freelance writer and/or tutor. These, I have worked out, are less stressful and can be done on a flexible basis - however, neither brings an assured income, which, since my husband's redundancy is essential to our survival. Getting some extra income is too - he does a few hours at his union and I am determined to do a few hours at home.


However, I have been scouring the web for advice and also did a recce at the jobcentre and from both I get the distinct impression that whilst applying to do permitted work should not count against you, should in fact be encouraged, the reality is that it will draw attention to your ability to work and you will be called in for a re-assessment or lose your benefits at once.


The other thing I thought of is to get the help offered to over fifties but I can get no advice on this anywhere, except DWP - whom I am loathe to ask anything because they will pounce and take my benefits before I have even tested the work waters.

It's not an encouraging picture so far - am I being stupid? At 56 and with a history of ill-health am I mad to want to work?

But we do need more money so badly!


All advice and thoughts on this much appreciate!!

Link to post
Share on other sites



To start a new thread from the one you're reading;


Click the back icon in the top left hand corner of your screen until you get to the garish greeny yellow thread titles for The Consumer Forums: Benefits and HMRC. Just above the heading there's a blue Post New Thread Box.


The delayed response to your ESA50 is due to the Atos issue of their backlogs, but reassessments should be completed (eventually) for claimants who were referred to Atos before 20 January 14.


A useful factsheet about permitted work at;




You don't need anyone's permission to try permitted work, but you do need to complete a very simple PW1 form. There's no process for a PW1 to trigger loss of benefits or reassessment, so long as your proposed work can be done within your claimed limited capability.


Best wishes, Margaret. :panda:

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...