style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3979 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am hoping someone can give me some advice please.

I live in a leasehold property and pay ground rent of £10 every 6 months making a total of £20 a year.

I received an letter from the Ground Rent agents stating that I was in arrears and despite several emails had not paid the last 2 instalments.

I then discovered that they had sent me 2 emails, one for the 1st instalment and 1 for the more recent one. These emails had aoutomatically gone into my junk folder.

I hold my hands up though that this is entirely my fault and that it is up to me to make sure bills are paid on time, I have absolutely no arguement with that. What I am querying is that for this I have been stung for £54 in 'admin charges'.

I rang the company concerned and told them that I thought the charges were unreasonable and that I would like a breakdown of how the charges were calculated. He told me I would have to put it in writing.

I agreed to do so and stated that I wished to pay the outstanding amount of ground rent £20 bring my grouond rent up to date. He refused to take the payment saying that I could pay the whole amount (£74) or nothing at all.

I don't know what to do. Half of me wants to just pay it and get rid of the hassle but the other half is saying don't let them get away with it especially as we don't have an extra £54 just lying around as my husband only has his pension and I am currently on sickness benefit, so things are pretty tight.

has anyone got any advice for me on what to do about this please?

Cheers

Molly

Have a look at your lease this should state what the the charges are for late fees etc. usually only 5%.

Also they have to follow procedures as set out in the leasehold reform act.

If nothing there then send cheque for rent plus say £25 to cover Admin and see what happens!

Andydd may be able to help on this one.