• Tweets

• I live in a student house, with 5 tenants, unihomes is our utilities provider, who we each have a direct debit set up with and have paid each bill every month. Two letters were sent in my name by BWLegal saying I had two outstanding payments due adding up to over £3500, I have tried to contact british gas (as that is apparently our houses provider) as well as Unihomes. Nothing has helped and BWlegal are pursuing legal action if these debts are not resolved by the 1st May. What do I do? I've called Bwlegal when i bring up that the debt isnt for me and for unihomes they hang up on me. so I am stressed and do not know what to do
    • cant do either if its not in a public place or on your land. dx  
    • scared of what? you simply jumped at turnstile.... it's not a prison sentence and done very doubtfully of any criminal. exuberance of youth stupid act at very very worst it will be a warning letter if anything ever happens ..means nothing going fwd. dx          
    • Hi, everyone. I received a letter from TfL investigator/Prosecutor. The letter reads as follow:   ''Thank you for responding to our enquiry letter. Your comments will be taken into consideration when reviewing whis case and we will contact you as soon as we have reached a decision. TfL now consider prosecution against passengers who are in breach of all TfL byelaw offences and I must inform you that further legal action may be taken. TfL byelaws can be found at ... Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you further.''   The letter was sent 23 days after I replied to them. Should I send another begging letter to IAP? I'm extremely scared now. Thanks all.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Urgent CCJ Charging Order defence question. We applied for instalments first.

eddie303
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4246 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could refer to CPR and PD73 to check if anything relevant in your case, if you believe there may have been a procedural error you should bring it to the courts attention within your witness statement.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part73#id4541824

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_part73#id4541905

• Haha 1

One other thing to possibly consider.... you noted the following:

- Defendents are myself, my wife + another director we're not in contact with

Have the other side received payment from, or been granted security against the other party?

I'd be inclined to include anything you feel is relevant, anything within the rule containing 'must' is not exactly negotiable - try CPR73.3. It's difficult to see how an ico was granted 2 weeks prior to the application.

The redetermination forms the judgment and should be heard before the final co is granted. Section 2 of the N379 applies, there may have been a forthwith judgment but in abeyance of determination I'd argue the judgment has not yet been set down.

You can but I couldn't think of another way to state it; handed down, set down, ordered, ajudged..... hmmmmm, all carry the same meaning within the context of your statement I guess.

Re/Determination is probably best explained within part 14 [admissions 5.1 thur 6.2] - http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_part14

I don't think that would be the right way to argue the case [3rd defendant], possibly better placed to argue that you may be prejudiced by the lack of transparency to any other payments or reduction of judgment sum.

Probably a bit late but.......... you should only serve by fax or e-mail if you have their prior agreement they will accept.

tbh, I think you'll struggle to overcome a fco but if it looks like its not going your way you should at least argue for terms within any order..... ie, no order for sale within the next xx months/years, regular statement of account, dislcosure of any agreement with 3rd defendant.

It does give the impression that they are inclined to accept payments from 1 defendant and hold security of the others.

The judgment has been "set down" as you call it. .

Afternoon Gany

I don't believe that would be correct in the context of a c/o hearing, applications are heard in order of filing... redetermination could affect the outcome of the c/o [unlikely I know] but still a possibility. As far as I'm aware the effect of s.93 [2007 amendments to the charging order act] do not apply to s.53 of the c/o act until October so an instalment order should still be considered. The other side are attempting to enforce an order whilst awaiting the outcome of a judgment yet to be heard.

Still can't work out how the ico was granted or noted prior to the application? The only thing I can think of is a possible N24 hybrid type order but I thought the courts had distanced themselves from that approach.

Edited by Mike_hawk

Eddie, the instalment order only has to be 'considered'........ that's why it's important that you attend the hearing in the knowledge that the fco will likely be granted but you must request terms to protect yourself. No order for sale is a priority, although this is an app by the original creditor and they tend to stop action at security. You should also request disclosure of any other arrangement with the 3rd defendant as this could compromise the charge.

Joint rebuttal shouldn't be an issue, the court will consider the effect of the fco on all parties [section I of PD 73 should assist for reference]

Given that from 1 October charging orders can be granted even when an instalment judgment is up to date, it's pretty unlikely the court will refuse the FCO here.

Gaston........... no offence intended by why is it that neither you or Gany can actually take the time to read previous posts with the same information?

Hi Gany

Read back through the thread and your responses, maybe its the way I interpret your replies. I don't actually disagree with your position at post 21 [its within the quoted text], although we seem to have moved away from the difference in opinion of procedure at post 14.

Quite happy to engage in meaningful exchange but repetition is lost on me.

S.93 Commencement is here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/1312/article/3/made

It's referred to in posts 19 and 21 but I've added the link below for reference:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/15/section/93

Ideally separate witness statements should be served, but in this instance where you are co defendants with shared beneficial interest in the property I honestly can't see that the court will be concerned by a joint statement.

eddie

From reading your posts I think you're going to keep worrying about the w/s unless you do something, I really can't see the court dismissing the 'defence' but hopefully this suggestion should help settle your nerves;

Using the defence served on the other side as your template:

Copy the body of the statement into a w/s [assume you know the correct format?]...... do not make any material changes with the exception of the header amended to 'Witness statement - Final charging order hearing'.

Make 3 copies for each of you, each to sign your own copies as a statement of truth [6 statements in total]. Ensure there are 3 copies with your name and 3 with your wifes.

Draft a further short witness statement to the court, just a few lines will do;

Again, make 3 copies for each of you, each to sign your own copy as a statement of truth [6 statements in total]........ I'd suggest something along these lines, but really it's entirely up to you what you say as long as you cover all bases.

1. I am a litigant in person

2, Not conversant with the civil procedure rules both defendant parties to charging order hearing served a joint defence [enclosed Document xx] to charging order application.

3. I now understand that the correct procedure would be for each witness to file and serve separate statements.

4. In the event that the court cannot accept the joint defence pursuant to Practice direction 32.25(2), I respectfully request that the individual witness statement enclosed [Document xx] is substituted.

5. Copies of this and enclosed documents have been served on the claimant party

Take 1 copy of each for filing at court [that's 1 w/s to the court with your name on, 1 with your wifes name on, 1 joint defence, 1 each of the witness statement created from the joint defence] 5 pages in total for filing at the court.

Send an identical bundle to the claimant with a short covering letter stating the reason for service.

Practice direction referred to above is here http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_part32#IDA5YVJC

Defects in affidavits, witness statements and exhibits

Where:

(1) an affidavit,

(2) a witness statement, or

(3) an exhibit to either an affidavit or a witness statement,

does not comply with Part 32 or this practice direction in relation to its form, the court may refuse to admit it as evidence and may refuse to allow the costs arising from its preparation.

Permission to file a defective affidavit or witness statement or to use a defective exhibit may be obtained from a judge17 in the court where the case is proceeding.

No probs, although tbh I think you'd have been OK anyway.......... this is really a 20 minute fix just for your peace of mind.

One thing you should question at the hearing is the current status of the judgment value. This is all supposition until/if the claimant discloses otherwise but........ judgment value March at 15k, payments totalling £300.00 by application date in May would infer a repayment schedule of either 50 or 100 months. The latter is stretching it a bit but 50 months is reasonable enough for the court to consider against the c/o application.

I don't know the reason for the business relationship breakdown with the 3rd defendant but if at all possible it may prove useful to try to make contact and discuss.

I wouldn't change any of the text,whilst its a pain reading a change from 1st to 2nd person the reality is that the other side are seeking security of joint beneficial interest in the property. No matter how its drafted all other creditors 'should' be considered, the judge will take a balanced view, ask questions if necessary and interpret accordingly.

OK. Actually it's not a problem anyway as even though a witness statement might be written by 1 person, that person can still use we, us, etc

You can indeedy, think of it as writing a short story of events so that the court can better understand your position

Re making contact with the 3rd defendant, I can't see that happening.

No possibility of an intermediary involvement [family, friend etc] or are things too far down the road to consider? Appreciate it may be difficult but when faced with a challenge such as this it may prove worthwhile for both sides to make a little effort.

For 15k? I'd sell my granny....... joking, sorry nan :-)

Wait on the hearing now. You've asked for and covered everything that you could in the circumstances. It really is a game of chance on the day when it falls to charging orders.

I think the thrust of any argument should be to protect yourself for the future, if you believe the hearing is moving away from you try to mitigate your exposure to any future enforcement and/or compounding of interest as best you can.

Would probably have shown you in a better light if you had serviced the order during the previous 6 months but it's a bit late in the day now. Work on what you have and remember to bite your tongue even if you don't like what you hear.

Thanks for all your input Mike.

I'd still like to know about the case law Ganymede mentioned, about instalments needing to be enough to pay off in lifetime of debtor. Not necessarily for this hearing, I just want to see the evidence if this really is true, as I find it hard to believe.

Honest answer, not aware of any case law............ I'm sure there probably is something persuasive [there always is] just not aware of it or where to point you.

this one http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?337719-Hybrid-installment-orders-allowing-application-for-C-O-help-please

not a long thread, and prob not quite what you're looking for. but referenced s93.

Cheers Ford

Not sure what to say except ooooer!! Variable consent grafted to a judgment...... I honestly thought the courts had started to distance themselves from hybrids, there isn't a procedure, rule or S.I that covers it so I'd guess someone got mugged and it gradually winged its way down through the system from Northampton