• Tweets

• I apologise if I was being unclear. Where it currently stands is that they will have it repair, placing scaffolding in our garden for 5 days. They have moved fast, but we will still have to postpone our contractors, meaning, we won't necessarily have the work done in time for the wedding and therefore will incur additional expenses for either a marquee or a wedding venue. They are vehemently against having any kind of liability in any regard but continue repeating that they are legally entitled to use our garden for their repairs (I believe this is true unless the work can be carried out using a cherry picker). The neighbour seems either indifferent or oblivious to the fact they can't reach all of the side of the roof from the space where they can place the scaffolding. They have asked their roofer of choice about using a cherry picker but the roofer has said it wasn't possible. It's not clear whether the roofer doesn't want to use a cherry picker or whether there is an issue with it. They have told us it is a problem that we are installing a gazebo as it will prevent them to access their roof from our garden in the future?!?  
    • Couldn't agree more, really wanted a true ruling on this just for the knowledge but pretty sure the Judge made some decisions today that he didn't need to?.. maybe they all go this way on the day? We hear back so few post court dates I'm not sure. Each Judge has some level of discretion. Their sol was another Junior not even working at their Firm, so couldn't speak directly for them! that was fortunate I think because if she would have rejected in court better, she might have  been able to force ruling, we are at that point!, everybody there!!, Judge basically said openly that he can see everything for Judgement!!!  but she just said "I can speak to the claimant and find out!" - creating the opportunity for me to accept. I really think the Judge did me a favor today by saying it without saying it. Knowing the rep for the sol couldn't really speak to the idea in the moment. Been to court twice in a fortnight, on both occasions heard 4 times with others and both of my claims, the clerk mention to one or both parties "Letting the Judge know if you want to have a quick chat with each other"! So, it appears there's an expectation of the court that there is one last attempt at settling before going through the door. So, not a Sol tactic, just Court process!. Judge was not happy we hadn't tried to settle outside! We couldn't because she went to the loo and the Judge called us in 10 minutes early! - another reason to stand down to allow that conv to happen. Stars aligned there for me I think. But yeh, if the sol themselves, or someone who can make decisions on the case were in court, I would have received a Judgement against today I think. She was an 'advocate'.. if I recall her intro to me correctly.. So verbal arguments can throw spanners in Court because Plinks dogs outsource their work and send a Junior advocate.
    • that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You have two options; the first is to ignore everything RLP send you. The second is to send a short letter as follows:

Dear Sirs

I refer to your letter dated xxxxx.

Any liability to you or any company you claim to represent is denied. No further correspondence will be entered into.

Yours faithfully

Don't go into any detail - just the denial of liability, and then ignore everything RLP send you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Appreciate it mate. How confident are you guys that nothing will happen though?

Points to note:

RLP can't take anyone to court - they rely upon persuading retailers to do it, and it's extremely uncommon

The cost of bringing a court action in a case like yours is likely to be prohibitive - and if properly defended, they'll lose

RLP rely upon trying to intimidate people into paying by sending letters which appear to be designed to make RLP look like a legal firm, which they aren't, or that they have some sort of authority, which they haven't

RLP will send you a series of increasingly demanding (and ever sillier) letters. You may hear from JB Debt Recovery, too, but they have the same legal status as RLP, i.e. none. Do not be tempted to respond. If, and it's a huge if, you get a court claim, come back here and we will help you.

CAG doesn't condone stealing, but we also don't judge (that's for the courts).

Thanks mate, appreciate it! If I phoned them and told them I'm not really in a position to be able to pay them as I'm currently unemployed, is there any way they'd quash the fine or lower it? If not, how much would the installments be, do you know?

We've advised you what the best course of action is already; it doesn't include phoning RLP, ever.

It's not a fine. Only a court can issue a fine.

Don't phone them; they aren't interested in your circumstances, just your money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've given you the best advice we can. If you choose not to follow it that is entirely a matter for you.

As Andydd says, it's unlikely that RLP's letters follow the CPR guidelines, not least because their status in any litigation isn't clear, but the purpose of the denial of liability letter is that it shuts down the 'you haven't responded' avenue. Of course RLP will still send silly letters, but in the extremely unlikely event of a court case, you can show that you responded and made you position clear at the outset - or, as in this case, when the OP can be bothered.

Anyone can make an allegation to the police at any time; whether the police do anything about it, especially when their involvement was not sought at the time because the retailer thought it not worthwhile because the value of goods was so low, is another matter.

Another RLP scare tactic, which they use because they realise they are utterly impotent.

Given that they've put the threat in a letter, I suspect that the police would be distinctly unimpressed if they discovered that they were being used to as a lever to bully people into paying RLP - as indeed might the retailer concerned.

• 1 month later...

The most significant point is that if their client intended to bring a county court claim, they'd do it - they wouldn't be getting RLP to continue to send out these whining letters trying to bully and wheedle money out of you. The only reason RLP is involved is to try to make money for themselves.

I'd be very wary of the veracity of anything on RLP's website, and especially their case summaries. They don't provide sufficient information to enable them to be checked for accuracy. In any case, we know that RLP's retailer client lost the only properly contested case.

All the other cases are either default judgments (in other words, no defence was submitted), or involved staff theft (so not the same type of case).

The case RLP refer to was entirely different to yours, in that the individual concerned was a prolific, convicted thief. It is not known whether or not he actually paid the sum awarded. This on its own should be enough to show you that RLP seek to mislead.

Then you must consider that of all the many thousands of speculative invoices RLP have sent out, all they have to demonstrate their fearsome legal weight is a handful of uncontested wins by retailers. Remember also that ACPO and the PSNI required RLP to remove misleading articles from their website.RLP aren't a firm of solicitors - and if they misrepresent themselves as such they could be in trouble - so the only time you need to worry about the Civil Procedure Rules and Practice Direction is if the retailer issues a claim, or you are contacted by a proper legal firm.

You have set out your position - which is that you deny liability to them or their client; the ball is now very firmly in the retailer's court. RLP, as usual, are just an irritating irrelevance. The CAB advice remains that you should ignore RLP, and I concur.

Edited by honeybee13
Paragraphs. :)

I'm obliged to Honeybee for the spacing. Mine appears to be alright now.

Right guys, thanks a lot. Am I best just ignoring them from now on yeah? If you had to say, what's the likelihood anything will come of this? (court/bailiffs etc..)

It's difficult to say. There is always the danger that RLP, who are nothing if not vindictive, will seek to persuade their retailer clients to bring a court case against someone who has sought advice here. On the other hand, I suspect that their clients will not wish to risk the reputational damage that another loss will bring, nor, perhaps, will RLP wish to repeat their spectacular 'Streisand Effect' own goal, although their talent for self-aggrandisement should never be underestimated.

The numbers say that RLP send out many thousands of speculative invoices; of these, a miniscule proportion have ended in court. Of that small number of cases, almost all were default judgments, and it's likely that some of the defendants still didn't pay. Overall, I think the chances of a court case are small, but you can never legislate for the rather irrational moments that RLP are sometimes gripped by.

My money's on another pompous willy-waving letter from RLP.

• 1 month later...

RLP won't issue a claim, because they can't, having no cause of action.

Only the retailer can bring a claim, and if they did it would probably be for the full amount - the full amount that RLP pulled out of the air, or rather from their 'matrix'. The same matrix that was so effectively demonstrated in the Oxford case to not represent a true pre-estimate of loss, and therefore not a satisfactory basis for a claim.

The chances of a court claim are slim, though. The retailer is almost certainly blissfully unaware of you or your travails with RLP. RLP's threats of court claims tend to be pish and wind, both things they are full of.