• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4430 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

can someone please advise? i went to ph's in nov 2011 got a fridge n freezer when i signed for it i explained i was a mum of 5 including a disabled 5 yr old and as i was in preston and they was in wigan (4 buses and a day to get there n back) i couldnt get in so my friend had agreed that she n her hubby would pay over the phone by card every month this was agreed contracts signed and all was well twice they was late ringing her an i had to phone them and ask could theey ring her an take payment one for no reason and one because my friends hubby decided it was easier for all involved if he was to set up a direct debit for payment at £28 per month. ph agreed and said they would send the paperwork. no paperwork arrived after more talking eventually they sent forms but they were for £28 per week not month my friend said no she wasnt signing it and paid over the phone and continued to do so. this year i rang and asked on 3 occasions couyld i have a 50 inch tv and a double matress they looked at my account and on 3 seperate occasions said yes it was fine i again said i was only double checking as because of distance plus having 5 kids 1 disabled i was unable to get out so was making sure my journey wasnt wasted. they assured me all was well n i could come in and sign up. so me and my 12 year old daughter took 2 buses and arrived. the man asked what do u want and whats ur name? i told him a 50 inch tv and double matress he asked us to wait. we sat down and twenty minutes later he came over. he told me i could only have a refurbished tv i asked why he said because u was late twice i replied that that was due to them noit ringing as agreed for payment he said it was irrelivant and it was that or nothing. he also said oh i just happen to have a 50 inch refurbished tv in back room do u want to see it? i asked how old it was had it been fixed etc etc every time i asked a question he interupted me and when i asked again he kept saying y r u angry? y r u shouting? (i wasnt) he again said come see, took me to see tv apart from scratches on stand it was ok he said ''yes or no its this or nothing'' i said ok my tvs broke with 5 kids we need one so ill have to. sat down he went of to do agreements. he came back and started sorting agreements as an after thought i mentioned i dont want the optional service cover (osc) he laughed and said why? i replied that it didnt protect me from anything that i didnt already have i was paying damage liability on it and should be under warranty anyway he said no it wasnt and if i dint want the osc hed have to put it back thru finance and it wouldnt b done today (time was 12.30 and had taken 10 mins only to do agreements) and they wud probably say no anyway. he said no osc no tv. i was so angry upset humiliated and embaressed at this point from him keep shouting at me in front of my daughter i signed paid n left. got tv and matress rang the store to complain and asked for manager. guy said im assistant manager can i help u/ i explained what had happened how the guy was with me how id been bullied into having a second hand tv that they couldnt get rid of and how id been forced to take the osc out he asked my name then replied yh it was me that served u. i told him well i dont need to tell u what happened as u no. he asked does the tv work? i said yes he said in a sarcastic voice oh im glad.. thats good. i said again about the osc he said i didnt force u it was ur choice i asked how no osc no tv was a choice? and i felt id been palmed of with a second hand tv i had no history on he said it wasnt my choice to give it u it was decided by the finance company i replied that he hadnt even put it thru the finance company wwhen he said i couldnt have a new tv. he didnt reply instead asked what my complaint was and would i stop interupting him and bieng angry? again i was calm on the phone n no idea what he was on about? i told him id speak to the manager n he said hes not back till monday and he wont do anything as u agreed and signed of ur own free will. i hung up after telling him that untill this was sorted he wouldnt get a penny from me. please advice me.

Hi,

You will struggle to get a reply when posting a thread like that.

There is nothing wrong with the content but it is too hard to read. I would suggest you look at some other threads made by more experienced CAGers for examples and try to break down your text accordingly.

pinkfloydianuk

ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS MADE ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS, IF IN DOUBT SEEK ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED SOLICITOR.

<<<<IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ, DON'T FORGET TO HIT THE STAR AND GIVE ME SOME REP.

ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES DEEMED TO BE NON SUBJECT RELATED, DEROGATORY OR INSULTING WILL BE REPORTED.

pinkfloydianuk

:attention:

Cut and Paste it but break it down in to paragraphs before you repost it.

ALL COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS MADE ARE BASED ON MY OWN EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS, IF IN DOUBT SEEK ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED SOLICITOR.

<<<<IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU READ, DON'T FORGET TO HIT THE STAR AND GIVE ME SOME REP.

ANY PRIVATE MESSAGES DEEMED TO BE NON SUBJECT RELATED, DEROGATORY OR INSULTING WILL BE REPORTED.

pinkfloydianuk

can someone please advise? i went to ph's in nov 2011 got a fridge n freezer when i signed for it i explained i was a mum of 5 including a disabled 5 yr old and as i was in preston and they was in wigan (4 buses and a day to get there n back) i couldnt get in so my friend had agreed that she n her hubby would pay over the phone by card every month this was agreed contracts signed and all was well twice they was late ringing her an i had to phone them and ask could theey ring her an take payment one for no reason and one because my friends hubby decided it was easier for all involved if he was to set up a direct debit for payment at £28 per month. ph agreed and said they would send the paperwork. no paperwork arrived after more talking eventually they sent forms but they were for £28 per week not month my friend said no she wasnt signing it and paid over the phone and continued to do so. this year i rang and asked on 3 occasions couyld i have a 50 inch tv and a double matress they looked at my account and on 3 seperate occasions said yes it was fine i again said i was only double checking as because of distance plus having 5 kids 1 disabled i was unable to get out so was making sure my journey wasnt wasted. they assured me all was well n i could come in and sign up. so me and my 12 year old daughter took 2 buses and arrived. the man asked what do u want and whats ur name? i told him a 50 inch tv and double matress he asked us to wait. we sat down and twenty minutes later he came over. he told me i could only have a refurbished tv i asked why he said because u was late twice i replied that that was due to them noit ringing as agreed for payment he said it was irrelivant and it was that or nothing. he also said oh i just happen to have a 50 inch refurbished tv in back room do u want to see it? i asked how old it was had it been fixed etc etc every time i asked a question he interupted me and when i asked again he kept saying y r u angry? y r u shouting? (i wasnt) he again said come see, took me to see tv apart from scratches on stand it was ok he said ''yes or no its this or nothing'' i said ok my tvs broke with 5 kids we need one so ill have to. sat down he went of to do agreements. he came back and started sorting agreements as an after thought i mentioned i dont want the optional service cover (osc) he laughed and said why? i replied that it didnt protect me from anything that i didnt already have i was paying damage liability on it and should be under warranty anyway he said no it wasnt and if i dint want the osc hed have to put it back thru finance and it wouldnt b done today (time was 12.30 and had taken 10 mins only to do agreements) and they wud probably say no anyway. he said no osc no tv. i was so angry upset humiliated and embaressed at this point from him keep shouting at me in front of my daughter i signed paid n left. got tv and matress rang the store to complain and asked for manager. guy said im assistant manager can i help u/ i explained what had happened how the guy was with me how id been bullied into having a second hand tv that they couldnt get rid of and how id been forced to take the osc out he asked my name then replied yh it was me that served u. i told him well i dont need to tell u what happened as u no. he asked does the tv work? i said yes he said in a sarcastic voice oh im glad.. thats good. i said again about the osc he said i didnt force u it was ur choice i asked how no osc no tv was a choice? and i felt id been palmed of with a second hand tv i had no history on he said it wasnt my choice to give it u it was decided by the finance company i replied that he hadnt even put it thru the finance company wwhen he said i couldnt have a new tv. he didnt reply instead asked what my complaint was and would i stop interupting him and bieng angry? again i was calm on the phone n no idea what he was on about? i told him id speak to the manager n he said hes not back till monday and he wont do anything as u agreed and signed of ur own free will. i hung up after telling him that untill this was sorted he wouldnt get a penny from me. please advice me.

Can someone please advise?

I went to Perfect Home's in Nov 2011 and hired a fridge and freezer, when i signed for it i explained i was a mum of 5 including a disabled 5 yr old.

As i was in preston and they were in wigan (4 buses and a day to get there and back) i couldnt get in so my friend had agreed that she and her husband would pay over the phone by card every month for me.

This was agreed contracts signed and all was well. Twice Perfect Homes were late ringing my friend for payment so i had to phone them and ask could they ring her and take payment.

One for no reason and one because my friends husband decided it was easier for all involved if he was to set up a direct debit
link3.gif
for payment at £28 per month.

Perfect Homes agreed and said they would send the paperwork.

No paperwork arrived. After more talking eventually they sent forms but they were for £28 per week, not month, my friend said no she wasnt signing it and paid over the phone and continued to do so.

This year i rang and asked on 3 occasions could I have a 50 inch tv and a double matress? They looked at my account and on 3 seperate occasions said yes it was fine.

I again said I was only double checking as because of distance (travelling etc) plus having 5 kids, 1 disabled, i was unable to get out so was making sure my journey wasnt wasted.

They assured me all was well and i could come in and sign up.

So me and my 12 year old daughter took 2 buses and arrived.

The man asked "What do you want and whats your name"? I told him, a 50 inch tv and double matress, he asked us to wait.

We sat down and twenty minutes later he came over.

He told me i could only have a refurbished tv, i asked why, he said, because you were late twice (payments), i replied that that was due to them not ringing as agreed for payment. He said it was irrelivant and it was that or nothing.

He also said "Oh i just happen to have a 50 inch refurbished tv in back room do u want to see it"?

I asked how old it was, had it been fixed etc etc?

Every time i asked a question he interupted me, when i asked again he kept saying "Why are you angry? Why are you shouting? (i wasnt), he again said "come see", took me to see tv, apart from scratches on the stand it was ok, he said ''Yes or no its this or nothing''.

I said "Ok my tvs broke, with 5 kids we need one so ill have to".

We sat down, he went of to do agreements. He came back and started sorting agreements.

As an after thought, i mentioned,
i dont want the optional service
cover
(osc), he laughed and said, "Why"?

I replied that it didnt protect me from anything that i didnt already have, i was paying damage liability on it and should be under warranty anyway.

He said "no" it wasnt and if i dint want the osc he would have to put it back through finance and it wouldnt be done today (time was 12.30 and had taken 10 mins only to do agreements) and they would probably say no anyway.

He said "No osc no tv".

I was so angry, upset, humiliated and embaressed at this point from him keep shouting at me in front of my daughter i signed, paid and left.

Got tv and matress rang the store to complain and asked for manager.

Guy said "Im Assistant Manager, can i help you"? I explained what had happened, how the guy was with me, how id been bullied into having a second hand tv that they couldnt get rid of and how i had been forced to take the osc.

He asked my name then replied "Yeah it was me that served you".

I told him "Well i dont need to tell you what happened as you know". He asked "Does the tv work"? I said "Yes", He said, in a sarcastic voice, "Oh im glad.. thats good!

I said again about the osc, he said "I didnt force you, it was your choice", i asked how no osc, no tv, was a choice?

I felt i had been palmed of with a second hand tv, i had no history on it. He said "It wasnt my choice to give it to you, it was decided by the finance company".

I replied that he hadn't even put it through the finance company when he said i couldnt have a new tv.

He didnt reply, instead he asked what my complaint was and would i stop interupting him and bieng angry?

Again i was calm on the phone and no idea what he was on about?

I told him i would speak to the manager and he said "He's not back till monday and he wont do anything as you agreed and signed of your own free will.

I hung up after telling him that untill this was sorted he wouldnt get a penny from me.

please advise me.

Edited by pinkfloydianuk

pinkfloydianuk

Ok still a bit confusing but the ghist seems to be that you wanted a new 50 inch TV and they would only let you have a 2nd hand one. What was the difference in price? I can understand that if there are late/missed payments on your record that the finance co may be reluctant to let you have too much outstanding whatever the reason for late payment.

Can I also ask why you needed a 50 inch TV because they are obvioiusly going to cost a lot more than a std 22 or 26inch one and I would have thought that a new smaller one would have cost less than a large 2nd hand one.

You did sign for the refurbished one and that was your choice so I dont see what you expect the shop to do about that but you obviously feel that you have been badly treated by the salesman in respect of the way he spoke to you so I suggest that you write to the shop expressing your disappointment at the way you were spoken to.

It is possible that when you phoned to ask if you could have these items on the face of it the shops records may have shown that you fell into the right criteria for acceptance by the finance company, but until the application is actually put to finance no one can say for sure it is down to the company. I think the problem here is not that they wanted to get rid of a 50 inch reconditioned TV but that the finance co would not allow you the amount that a new one would be and as you seemed insistant that that was what you wanted they could only offer reconditioned in your price range.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Ok still a bit confusing but the ghist seems to be that you wanted a new 50 inch TV and they would only let you have a 2nd hand one. What was the difference in price? I can understand that if there are late/missed payments on your record that the finance co may be reluctant to let you have too much outstanding whatever the reason for late payment.

Can I also ask why you needed a 50 inch TV because they are obvioiusly going to cost a lot more than a std 22 or 26inch one and I would have thought that a new smaller one would have cost less than a large 2nd hand one.

You did sign for the refurbished one and that was your choice so I dont see what you expect the shop to do about that but you obviously feel that you have been badly treated by the salesman in respect of the way he spoke to you so I suggest that you write to the shop expressing your disappointment at the way you were spoken to.

It is possible that when you phoned to ask if you could have these items on the face of it the shops records may have shown that you fell into the right criteria for acceptance by the finance company, but until the application is actually put to finance no one can say for sure it is down to the company. I think the problem here is not that they wanted to get rid of a 50 inch reconditioned TV but that the finance co would not allow you the amount that a new one would be and as you seemed insistant that that was what you wanted they could only offer reconditioned in your price range.

Tut Tut Tut!!!!!,

I am sorry but i thought this forum was here to help people, not make them feel worse than they already do!

It is as simple as this.

'I believe', BrightHouse aim at citizens lower down the economic scale, displaying their pretense and willing vulnerable consumers to bind themselves in to Contracts unsuitable for their particular Income/Outcome.

Unfortunately, unless these consumers have their wits about them, or have someone around them with a legal back ground, they are pretty much screwed.

I know this, BrightHouse know this, it's only a matter of time before I, or someone else exposes them.

pfuk

pinkfloydianuk

Maybe the disabled child is visually disabled? Or needs to lie down in front of the tv, making it harder for the rest of the family to see?

Ultimately, the OP wanted a 50 inch, and she was happy to pay for it - surely that is her right?

I think you are going to struggle with this one, as there are no witnesses, and the written record does not show how the conversation went. Next time, when signing, maybe write on the contract "told that I had to have OSC" - on both copies?

What do you actually want to have happen next? Do you want to cancel the OSC, or do you want to return the tv, or return both the tv and the mattress? Is it the OSC that gives you the right to return the item at any time, and not owe any money? If you did that, of course, they may well not let you have another tv.

If you sign up on a website called freecycle you will see lots of tvs on there, being given away. Not normally big ones, but could you maybe use two smaller ones, in different rooms? Or could you get help from a charity, given that you have the disabled child? (Just trying to think of a way of getting you a free tv while you save up for what you really want - a much, much cheaper way of doing it). Do you have a credit union in your area?

What were you hoping for when you phoned the shop, what would be your ideal outcome?

Hi

Sorry if my post was taken the wrong way but I was actually trying to discover what the main problem was, my comment about the cost of a 50 inch TV was not a reflection on the OP but was an attempt to try and help because unless it is necessary a large TV is going to cost a hell of a lot more than a std size one and to be honest the reason some people have to use these stores is because they have limited incomes in which case surely it is better to suggest things that would involve less debt/credit the OP is welcome to spend her money as she wishes but my concern is that in a few months time the debt will become too much and then they will be back on the forum asking what to do next.

I am unsure from the original posting if it is the way the OP was spoken to treated that is the problem, in which case a letter to the store manager is needed, and an apology should be forthcoming. Or is the problem that she dosnt want a refurbed TV, as I said she did sign for it, or is the problem that she wasnt given credit sufficient for a new TV having been told on the phone that she would meet the criteria and I have suggested the reason for that in my last paragraph.

To be honest I would like to see some legislation to limit the amount that can be charged at places like this, although they would always charge more than the normal high street stores etc because they take on more risk with their customers but there is a bit more to cover the risk and a ridiculous amount more which is basically a rip off.

I hope the OP gets the outcome she wants but without knowing exactly what that is my answer was just trying to cover everything.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

I am unsure from the original posting if it is the way the OP was spoken to treated that is the problem, in which case a letter to the store manager is needed, and an apology should be forthcoming. Or is the problem that she dosnt want a refurbed TV, as I said she did sign for it, or is the problem that she wasnt given credit sufficient for a new TV having been told on the phone that she would meet the criteria

I agree - not sure what pinkprincess wants -

- Complain about attitude of shop worker?

- Cancel unwanted OSC?

- Exchange TV for new one at higher price?

hi can anyone help just started a new job and rang and told ph i started a new job and only got paid in 4 weeks so i would be in arrears said i would have to bring account up to date otherwise they was going to remove goods,can they do this? they call upto 7 times a day when im at work, so i cant answer it. can they do re writes or freeze my account until i get paid. came to the house yesterday while i werent in and posted note through saying removing goods refusing to pay, im not refusing to pay they will get paid in 2 week. can anyone help please

hi can anyone help just started a new job and rang and told ph i started a new job and only got paid in 4 weeks so i would be in arrears said i would have to bring account up to date otherwise they was going to remove goods,can they do this? they call upto 7 times a day when im at work, so i cant answer it. can they do re writes or freeze my account until i get paid. came to the house yesterday while i werent in and posted note through saying removing goods refusing to pay, im not refusing to pay they will get paid in 2 week. can anyone help please

Probably better to start a new topic Rebecca, or we will mix you up with pinkprincess.

The short answer is that PH cannot remove the goods without your consent, or a court order. But you can't stop them making a fuss about it, and your arrears will need to be cleared eventually.

Just keep telling them that you'll pay in a few weeks, and they can have the goods back if they show you a court order. Ignore further calls, do not allow them to enter your home, and do not sign anything without reading it carefully.