some advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

can someone offer some advice for me please,

Background

I was made bankrupt by one of my creditors 20 months ago after a long struggle. I was discharged a few months ago.

Over the years i paid a lot in PPI.

Have begun to try and reclaim the amounts.

The petitioning creditor has come back to me and offered me my ppi premiums back + interest, however they are going to use it to reduce my 'debt' with them.

I therefore haven't accepted their offer.

Questions

1) I thought bankruptcy removed the debt therefore they should send me the money

2) if i hadn't paid the premiums in the first place i may not have had to be made bankrupt so can i have the bankruptcy overturned. Bankruptcy has completely changed my life as i worked in financial services since 1993 and obviously cannot now.

Any and all advice welcomed

I have deliberately kept the information short for simplicity and also because i am aware these forums are watched but if more info is needed please ask.

thanks

:mad: I was going to let them bankrupt me but now I am fighting!:evil:

Hi there

In my view, if you have been fully through the bankruptcy process and have officially been discharged through the courts, then your debts are cleared and you have a clean slate A creditor cannot then come out of the woodwork and start demanding/taking payments against debts that were included in your bankruptcy. You have "done your time" to to speak.

Personally I think that getting the bankruptcy overturned is a non-starter.

Others will also give you their opinions.

ims

thx,

but they are saying they will use the refund against my debt with them :???:

Yeah, but you said they were the petitioner and their debt as it was at the time would have been included in the bankruptcy. Following on from your discharge, that debt is wiped so they have no debt to set a refund against.

ims