• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

molly-in-the-trolley Vs First Direct - SETTLED!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Got letter from First Direct today in response to our 2nd letter before court action. Ir basically says the same as the first letter about terms and conditions blah blah and a very unuseful leaflet about the ombudsman service which went straight in the bin.

We are starting our moneyclaim now for just over £8000 across 3 accounts.

Wish us luck!

has anyone else had a similar response to their letter before court action and if so what are you doing about it?

Hi all,

has anyone else had a similar response to their letter before court action and if so what are you doing about it?

Yes - I had exactly the same letter with leaflet arrive this morning, and filed my claim for £830 at 11.15 am, so will keep you posted!

Please can anyone advise me on my situation.

I am now taking First Direct to small claims court using moneyclaim. However i have a problem- We are claiming for 3 seperate accounts:

My husbands account for £365.77

Our joint account for £1770.93

and my account totals over 6 years £6080.47

I really want to keep the amounts within £5000 so we keep within small claims court limits should it go to small claims court and I was going to do 3 seperate claims but my account claim is over £5000. If I do 2 further seperate claims for my account by doing 1 for overdraft and 1 for uncleared directdebits etc its still does not go under £5K becuase the uncleared transactions only totals to about £500. therfore one of my claims will still be £5500.

Do you think it would be okay to do 2 seperate claims for me- 1 for dates 2000-2003 and a 2nd claim for 2004-present? Or will the court see this as a dodgy move?

please help as i dont know know what to do.

Thanks in advance your help is really appreciated.

Hi all,

Got letter from First Direct today in response to our 2nd letter before court action. Ir basically says the same as the first letter about terms and conditions blah blah and a very unuseful leaflet about the ombudsman service which went straight in the bin.

We are starting our moneyclaim now for just over £8000 across 3 accounts.

Wish us luck!

HI

Got the standard letter from First Direct this morning, sounds the same as yours and telling me that I can "escalate my concerns" to the next stage by writing to

Mr Robert Kernaghan

Customer Relations Manager

So I assume the next step is to file a claim, off round the site now to find out what to do!!

What about if you issue claim for the £365.77 and £1770.93

If FD offer to settle prior to court you could write back saying I will accept settlement providing you they take the other accounts into consideration.

If they really want to avoid court, they may settle the lot.

On the other hand if it did get to court FD could probably say, we have offered settlement of this claim and the clamant refused it.

Just thinking out loud, the mods can probably advise better.

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

I emailed Stephen Hone as well and he gave me his phone number to ring him.

For anyone else out there with the same problem as me, Stephen's advise is that to put in two seperate claims is illegal so to put in all claims as 1 big claim on fast track so you are capped on only paying up to a max of £750 court costs. If they put in a defence then you only pay £750 max costs.

Hope this is helpful if you have the same problems as me. I'll keep you all posted.

Thats interesting,

Is it also illegal to put seperate claims in for different accounts with the same banks.

I was about to do just that on Monday morning, sh!t !

Halifax, £953 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Yes it is but maybe not run the claims at the same time in case it takes you over the 5k -they may try to consolidate

If you find this post useful, please click the Scales of 'Justice' in the top right corner. Thanks ;)

It is not illegal to sever your claim and to conduct two separate claims for smaller amounts. However, it might be a basis for challenge by the bank - assuming that it goes to court. There is a kind of double jeopardy rule called "res judicata" which means that the thing is already judged. This basically means that you can't bring a second claim based on the same set of facts.

The position at present is rather ambiguous. Technically bringing two claims each based on two different sets of charges levied at different times is not res judicata; they are different sets of facts, after all. On the other hand deliberately severing the claim in order to manipulate the court rules to leave the costs risk with the bank may not find favour with the judge.

But it is not illegal. It merely means that the judge might say that in the matter of the second claim the case is res judicata and strike it out. In order to do this, the bank would have to raise the issue of res judicata in the first place.

Moving the case onto the fast track because it exceeds £5000 is interesting. As you know, you will have a costs risk but limited to £750 costs of representaion for the other side but also (I think ) some costs of preparation too but I need to check this up.

An Up side of the Fast track is that there would be an order for standard dislcosure and this would be very serious for the bank. It means that the bank would be obliged to dislose all of the true costs of bouncing DDs etc. even if this information is harmful to its case. They have never done this and if they did then the whole house of cards would come tumbling down. It is perfectly possible that faced with the possiblity of the Fast track and standard disclosure that the bank might capitulate even more quickly than if they were put onto the Small claims Track.

However, and with respect, you might not be able to deal with the complications of standard dislcosure as this is where there is a real game between the lawyers for the opposing sides as to what information they have to reveal and what they can withhold. You would definitely need help - although The Bank Action Group will be very pleased to be be completely involved in this part of the battle.

The consequences of a properly handled standard disclosure for the bank might be a complete charges disaster for the Banks. However it would probably be necessary to have all of the information thoroughly analysed by experts and this would cost a lot of money which might not be recoverable. The banks costs risk is limited as well and they are unlikely to supply you with a discloure which was considerately rendered down into a userfriendly and intelligible form.

I would suggest that you sever your personal account claim into, say a claim for £4700 and then the balance. See what happens. You can't lose anything by beginning this way. Don't forget that if the matter doesn't actually get to court and is not properly decided by a judge then it will never be res judicata. So if the bank caves in then you are completely clear to bring all of the rest of your claims without any further worries. If that one is settled or you win in court then go on to the next one. Do not bring the claims simultaneously as you risk an application by the bank to consolidate them - although that would lead to the risks to them of the Fast track.

At the same time run the very much more modest claim on your husband's account and then make your claim for the joint account charges at the end.

Do start with the largest claim £4700 first. Try and find a reasonably natural place to sever the claim so that you can argue that there is no dupication of issues if you have to. I would strongly suggest claiming from the present backwards for as many years or months as it takes to get to the figure that you want.

BF means claim for £4700 when you have that and its all settled THEN put your next claim in . Don't put 2 claims with the same bank in at the same time

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

It is not illegal to sever your claim and to conduct two separate claims for smaller amounts. However, it might be a basis for challenge by the bank - assuming that it goes to court. There is a kind of double jeopardy rule called "res judicata" which means that the thing is already judged. This basically means that you can't bring a second claim based on the same set of facts.

The position at present is rather ambiguous. Technically bringing two claims each based on two different sets of charges levied at different times is not res judicata; they are different sets of facts, after all. On the other hand deliberately severing the claim in order to manipulate the court rules to leave the costs risk with the bank may not find favour with the judge.

But it is not illegal. It merely means that the judge might say that in the matter of the second claim the case is res judicata and strike it out. In order to do this, the bank would have to raise the issue of res judicata in the first place.

I just want to be clear about this BF, I was going to begin a claim next week against FD for £2,500. That is for charges on my sole account.

However, I am waiting for DPA requests for several other FD accounts, joint account, another sole account, 2 personal loans and a credit card.

Should I wait for this DPA response and issue the lot together, to be honest I dont think it will get to £5000, probably £4k ish. I would rather not wait as my £2,500 LBA will expire and I would prefer to stick to the deadlines. However I dont want to risk the subsequent claims being struck out on a technicality.

Advice?

Halifax, £953 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Separate account severs very naturally and won't cause problems.

begin action when you want

Thanks BF, will begin action today.

Halifax, £953 Recovered

Coming Soon......

I emailed Stephen Hone about BF's reply and he advised me to do 1 big claim for all 3 accounts or 3 seperate claims for the 3 seperate accounts. He advised not to do 2 seperate claims for my account in 1 or 2 stages as the judge will not like the fact that I am clearly trying to play the system and will ask why am i sueing the same comapany for the same thing twice. I am going to do 1 big claim as this is cheaper in court fees. I am going through moneyclaim which will automatically allocate my claim to fast track. He thinks that even if they put in a defence they will start to make offers eventually. What ever happens at least there are people like BF and Stephen to advise people like me.

I'll keep you all up dated, and thanks to everyone for all your help and advice with my queery.

This could turn interesting....

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

*BUMP*

Just to update everyone, Molly-in-the-trolley has filed a claim against FD:

Claim no: 6QZ23882

11/4/06

Northampton County Court

Amount £ 8467.17

This is going to be very, VERY interesting.....

If you found this post useful, please click on the "scales" icon in the bottom left of my post and say so!

The opinions of this post are those of monkey_uk and do not constitute sound legal advice. I am not a lawyer.

--

Halifax Unlawful Bank Charges: S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent 28/02/07 - CC Statement's rcv'd 18/04/07 Bank a/c statements rcv'd 19/04/07

First Direct Unlawful Bank Charges: Settled in Full 12/05/06 | £2235.50

Can you PM dave , bookworm or seminole with the details please.

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

yes , if you can just keep them updated , thanks

doubts.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks