• Tweets

• good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
    • The clock is ticking for savings providers. They now have just a few weeks left to get their act together and start offering loyal customers a good deal.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help with FirstPlus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

FirstPlus have just issued us with a repossession order.

We are in a bit of a mess, sorry if this is long but it's been going on for some time

We are in arrears with a secured loan with FirstPlus.

The problems all started when we tried to re-mortgage with a new bank in Dec last year. By re-mortgaging we would have been saving ourselves nearly £200 a month as we would have paid off a personal loan. FirstPlus blocked the re-mortgage as it didn't meet their lending criteria. Not sure what they meant by that as our outgoings would have been less. Anyway relations with them just got worse from there. In February we where 2 months in arrears.We tried to negotiate a repayment plan they went through all our income/expenditure and came up with this figure of £150 on top of what we where paying to pay the arrears off in 2/3 months. I am on a DMP with PayPlan so I'm not sure how they thought I was going to pay the extra amount. To top it all off, after a 20mins phone call from work they informed me that I couldn't do a repayment plan as the loan wasn't a year old. They could have told me that at the start !!

A few month later we thought that by cancelling the PPI on the loan we could reduce our payments and it would be more managable, maybe even being able to make extra payments to pay off the arrears.

They would cancel the PPI but the payments would remain the same as we where in arrears. I still got the PPI.

I wrote a letter complaining and as far as they where concerned they have been sympathetic towards our situation and the PPI wasn't missold to me. I had no idea I could have bought it elsewhere separetly for a fraction of the cost.

In May they transferred the debit, around £1600 to Red Castle Recoveries. I spoke to these and I thought I had agreed to pay £25 a month to them. I sent them our income and expenditure and asked if possible could we renegotiate the loan to include the arrears and cancel the PPI. At this time FirstPlus where still lending. I never got a reply from them, in fact I haven't had any correspondence from them since. They took one payment of £25 and no others.

Last week we got the papers from the court for the repossession hearing (19th November). I've looked at the papers and there are a few discrepances, only minor but I don't know if they will make any difference or not.

1) They state the loan/mortgage was agreed on 28th Feb. That is the date of their paperwork, we didn't sign the agreement until 1 March and then whenever they received it via the post.

2) They don't know either mine or my husbands employment status. They have phoned me at work in the past, they have my works telephone number. My husband works nights so they obviously won't be able to phone him but they had the details on the initial application.

3) They monthly payment to them is incorrect. I'm presuming this maybe a change in the APR that they haven't passed onto us.

4) They state 3 APR's. At the start of the loan, when the arrears first started and on default. All three are the same. Since the loan started the APR's has gone down twice but also increased but I am pretty sure that it wasn't the same throughout. We've got letters stating the increase/decreases from them.

We have got arrears with our 1st mortage (NatWest) but I have managed to capitalise them with the help of their collections department.

We would like to try and come to an arrangement with FirstPlus. Ideally cancel the PPI, and reduce the monthly payments, we have looked on their website at the APR is currently 8.6% we have been quoted 9.7% on the court papers but we sure we are paying higher than this. The rebate for cancelling the PPI as decreased from May to Oct by nearlly £600 and the settlement figure as gone up nearly £2000.

We know I can ask for the arrears to be added to the term of the loan with the Cheltenham & Gloucester v Norgen court case.

At the moment we feel that no matter what we put to them they just won't co-operate.

Could somebody offer some advice / help. We don't want to be repossessed. All this is on arrears of approx £3600 on a £41000 loan (£51000 if you include the PPI)

Thanks

Kaz

Hi there, sorry to hear you are in this situation - but I'm sure we can give you some advice on how to proceed witht this. It is important that you complete the N11M defence form that you will have received witht the court papers and I can help you with the most important part of that form which is Q.27.

I am at work at the moment but will be able to help you when I get home this evening if you are able to wait till then.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there - I just need some info so I can draft a statement for your defence form and also you need to send a letter to Firstplus asap with your offer of payment, which I will also draft for you - this will prove to the court you have tried to come to an arrangement. I have affixed a budget sheet which you need to complete to show how much you have left over each month to pay towards your arrears (after everything else has been accounted for).

What was the reason for the arrears? ( the judge will want to know)

How much can you afford to pay each month towards the arrears in addition to your normal monthly payment?

Do you have any written correspondence with FP either that you have sent to them with a payment proposal or that they have sent to you refusing your offer? (we can use this to attach to your defence to show they have not tried to help)

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Budget Sheet.xls

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I've contacted Firstplus this morning asking if they would consider the following

1) Cancel the PPI

2) Renegoitate the loan as £41000 over 25 years @ £324.37 per month (as on their website).

3) To capitalise the arrears quoting Cheltenham & Gloucester v C Norgan case.

I'll sort the budget sheet out later as I can't download at work. I'm on a DMP so there isn't anything spare each month, although if they accept this offer I will have a bit left as the DMP quotes the payment of £475 which I am supposed to be paying now.

Not sure about the reason for the arrears. As I said we tried to remortgage to save us money and since then we have got into the trap of bank charge. We get charged each month, because of this we are short each month so the situation continues.

I will have to sit down with my husband to see what we can overpay but I don't think it will be too much.

I have got correspondence about the cancelling of the PPI etc how they won't reduce payments etc.

Hope this helps. I'll have more info after the weekend when I can finally sit down with my husband and have a talk. I work days and he works nights so it's difficult.

Kaz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ell-enn

Sorry I've not got back to you but I've been doing a bit of investigation to get out defence sorted.

We've got the court forms and I've noticed a few minor discrepancies but I don't know how significant they are.

1) They state they don't know the employment situtation of either myself or my husband.

We both signed the application form and PPI stating that we where working. Didn't think PPI was application if you didn't work. They may not have my husbands work telephone number as he works nights but they definately have mine as they have actually telephoned me at work !!.

2) It states that we entered into the agreement on 28th Feb 2008. That was the date the papers where sent to us. We signed the agreement on 1st March.

As I said I have been doing a bit of investigation.

I've looked at the letter we got from them in May and they requested an Inc/Exp form to be completed and sent back to them. They never included one in their letter but I've got a recording of a conversation with them (they phone me so they have got my work details) and I went through all my inc/exp with them (29mins phone call) and was told it would be save on file for future ref.

I've also got the phone call with Red Castle stating that there was a possibility to add the arrears to the term of the loan but it would be decided by FirstPlus. I was told to forward them my Inc/Exp. I did this on 12th May requesting that I would like to re-negoiate the loan without PPI and to capitalise the arreas and would they please advise if this is possible. Again no response was received.

Kaz

I've just had an e-mail reply from Eversheds who are dealing with the repossession from FirstPlus

I asked if they could renegoiate the loan and capitalise the arrears

One answer - No

They won't renegoiate the terms of the loan of re-schedule the conditions of the loan

They cannot offer capitalisation because of the amount of arreas. Approx £4000. Loan was for £41000 with £10000 PPI.

Any suggestions as what to do ? Will the courts be more lenient ?

We are offering what we can afford, didn't see any point in offering over and above what we know we can afford as we'll be back to square one in no time.

Kaz

Hi there, have you returned the defence forms to court yet?

Isn't the hearing next Wednesday 19th???

Yes, there was nothing on the form to say it needed to go back !!, supposed I should have worked it out though

I don't know whether I'm coming or going at the moment. I work days my husband works nights so we hardly see each other.

Kaz

Hi, the forms should have been returned 14 days before the hearing in order for the court staff to process them and the judge to read them before the hearing. However, that is not to say that they won't accept them from you. However, you will need to make sure that you have three copies of everything with you on the day in case they are needed.

We need to get to work on them as soon as possible. How much are you offering each month towards the arrears?

Ell-enn

I've e-mailed the courts to apologise for not sending the paperwork in.

Sorry about not replying earlier but I can't remember my password to post anything and I haven't got access to my e-mail address for any reminders. Luckily my PC at work stored the password so I'm online whilst at work

The problem is we cannot really afford any extra payments.

I'm on a DMP with PayPlan, maybe if I have a word with them and see if I can reduce the payment to them as put that towards the arrears.

I've advertised as a home based proofreader and typist to see if I can get extra income but up to yet if not had much, in fact nothing since March. I'm also going to have a clear out at home and sell a few things to try a raise a bit of extra cash.

I've just changed my job, same company different department so when the financial situation eases I should be in for a payrise. Would it help if I could get that confirmed by my employers ?

Kaz

Hi Ell-enn.

This may sound like a stupid question, but do both myself and husband need to complete separate defence forms. The loan is in joint names and so is all our inc/exp

Kaz

Hi there, no just complete one set of forms - add your name in pen underneath your husband's on the first page of the defence form.

I'll try and draft a defence for Q.27 of the form, but you really need to offer even a small amount each month towards the arrears. Take a photocopy of the financial question pages from the N11M form and "practise" on them to see what you come up with. The amount left over each month after everything else has been accounted for is the amount you offer towards the arrears in addition to your monthly payment.

You should contact your DMP company and ask if there is room for negotiation as you need to pay your mortgage (priority debt!!). What debts are in the DMP? if they are not priority you should only be making token payments of £1 or 5 per month. Your mortgage and secured loan are the most important payments together with utilities.

Ell-enn

Thanks for the quick reply

I'll get on with the forms. I've done a few photocopies so I can have a "practice run".

I've contacted Payplan who run my DMP and they said they will work with me whenever I need them.

I've just contacted FirstPlus although they now answer as UK Secured Loans. I didn't say who I was but I blagged my why into a few questions about cancelling the PPI. Was told that I would be sent a letter detailing the new payments that I would need to sign and return. I asked what if I had arrears - answer they wouldn't reduce the payments until the arrears where clear but once they where they would take into account the overpayments and the payment would be less than the stated one. We were told that they couldn't/wouldn't tell us the new payments until the arrears had been paid off. If we had known what the new payments would be and any overpayments would be taken into account we could have stopped all this. When we first asked about cancelling the PPI we were only 2 months in arrears.

Kaz

OK, as soon as you know what you are able to pay towards the arrears each month, let me know and I'll finish the statement for Q.27.

We can also do a summarised statement for you to take court on the day in case the judge hasn't been able to go through your forms beforehand.

Hi Ell-een

I've had to re-register hence the slightly different user name - just couldn't remember the password to log on at home.

Payplan have said I can make token payments of £1 (so £4 it total) for 3 months. That will help as it will free up £146 pounds each month.

I'm no legal expert but we have just had the papers from the solicitors that they will be using in court.

They have produced a copy of the land registry report. It states that FirstPlus put a charge on the property on 28th Feb 2007. I didn't sign the agreement until 1st March and it would take a couple of days to get back to them. Surely if I hadn't entered into a legal agreement on 28th. What would have happened if I had changed my mind ?

Kaz

Hi, I don't think the date of the charge is something that affects the possession case, they are bringing this action due to you being in arrears with payments you agreed to pay.

Once you have completed the budget form, let me know how much you are able to offer towards the arrears each month and I will finish the defence statement.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Hi there, so I can finalise the text for Q.27 can you answer the following please.

What was the reason for the arrears

Do you have copies of the letters/emails you sent to them asking for help and also the replies? We need those to attach to the defence.

Ell-enn

Hi Ell-Enn,

I'm not too sure why the arrears built up. It was a few situations that started everything off.

Bank charges started to get out of hand and we couldn't make monthly payments to our creditors. We managed to keep up to date with our first mortgage but by January I entered into a DMP for my unsecured loans.

We changed banks last November to get a fresh start and the bank (Abbey) suggested we remortgage to take on our exisiting mortgage plus a unsecured loan we had this would have saved us around £150-£200. We put in a Deep of Postponement with FirstPlus who rejected it saying we didn't match their lending criteria. It took them more than a month to tell us this. Nothing had changed since we took out the FirstPlis loan.When we took out the FirstPlus loan we already had this unsecured loan but we didn't pay it off with the FirstPlus loan, First Plus new this as all cheques where issued to the individual creditors rather that ourselves.

We tried to cancel PPI at the end of January but we where told that the payments would not be reduced as there where arrears on the account. They wouldn't even tell us what the new figure would been once the arrears had been cleared. I have since been told that their policy is to inform of the new figure, we agree to it but it's only in force once the arrears are clear. If we knew this in January we could have sorted something out as we where only 1 month in arrears at the time.

I've got copies of letters stating increased in APR and about the cancellation of PPI. I telephoned them about the arrears but I do have the taped telephone conversation as I work in the financial sector and we tape all calls.

I have also got a recording of a conversation I had with Red Castle who they passed the debt onto. They state that the arrears could maybe added to the loan and to provide my inc/exp and they would look into it. I did this asking for them to get back to me and nobody everdid.

Kaz

Hi, I've almost finished your defence, just need to know if you have any children?

Ell