• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Any Advice gratefully received re. default removal

rustydog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband,myself and family are in a default hell and not wanting to sound abit of a thicky (?!) not quite sure how to apply all of the information within this forum to our particular situation. Would really appreciate all the help we can get!!

It all started in February 2006 when my husband switched his current bank account from the halifax to lloyds. Lloyds told him that they would request all sums owed such as overdraft etc from the halifax and they would pay them automatically. In the meantime, we had sold our house and moved into rented temporarily until we found a house to buy. We thought we had found a house and had mortgage approved but for reasons unrelated the purchase wasn't viable and we carried on looking for another property, which we had finally found a few weeks ago. We applied for mortgage again only to be told no chance as my husband has now got a default.

What had happened apparently is that the overdraft of around £520 to the halifax was never paid by lloyds and halifax had sent hubby letter stating that if it wasn't paid off by the 1st August his account would be defaulted. He rang the bank and arranged for payment to be made to halifax on 31st July (but obviously it takes a few days to clear). In the meantime he contacted Lloyds who said that they hadn;t paid the overdraft because Halifax had never requested it and they have put this in writing, which halifax are disputing saying that they did request it but lloyds never paid. On 9th August husband received letter from a DCA stating he was defaulted and the amount was £14, which we have found out was interest added (which we didn't know about) and husband settled this remaining amount with DCA.

We have requested halifax take off the default as the account is settled and it wasn't really our fault but rather fault lies between them and lloyds but they refuse so we have put in complaint but they say this takes 8 weeks (and in the meantime we are stuck in rented accomdation with no chance of relocation!) We have since sent them an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) requesting original credit agreement and notice of default but didn't hear anything back so husband spent yet another day at the local branch and the asst mgr emailed complaints dept a copy of the SAR letter and also HQ at Trinity Road and asked them to send us an acknowledgment which they havent so husband rang them Friday to see what they were going to do about it, they have stated that it has been filed with the complaint and will be looked at within 8 weeks! When my husband stated that they couldn't do that and they had to supply us with the information we had requested within a certain time frame by law they told him he had his facts wrong and they wouldn't look at it until the 8 weeks was nearly up.

This is a pretty condensed version of events but it gives the general idea. We are absolutely desperate as we need to relocate (we have children to get into new schools etc) and we desperately need this ridiculous default removed so we can buy another house.

If anyone can give us some advice we would be very grateful as we really don't have any experience of this sort of thing.

Many thanks in advance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rustydog,

This is so awful for you and your family.

I think you should go straight for it now and send Surlybonds template letter with the notice attached. IT'S THE STICKY AT THE TOP OF THIS SECTION.

I would not bother going to see anyone at the branch as this is wasting time and getting you nowhere.

The bullet points to get it removed are

1. They never sent you the default notice in the 1st place. OR EVEN IF THEY DID........

2. The contract with Halifax has ended. It ended when it defaulted and also when you closed it. You never gave permission for them to show your information for 6 years.

This letter and notice gives them 21 days to remove the information. Send it recorded delivery £1.

If it was a joint account change the I to we and my to our etc because you will need it removing from BOTH FILES.

Then sit back and wait, if nothing issue court proceeding. You have really done nothing wrong.

Be brave, I have received money back from Halifax bank charges, Birmingham Midshires (also part of Halifax) and had defaults removed from Brimingham Midshires.

My default removal after sending THAT FANTASTIC LETTER and notice was 9 days.

No need to add anything to that letter (who did/said what, when and where) just go for it.

Keep us updated I will be watching your thread. Good luck

Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Been on hol for a week, got home found letter from them dated
27/6/06 offer of £92 claiming £1155.10 so no deal.

Filed claim with Moneyclaim 12/07/06

Halifax acknowledged claim 25/7/06

Court papers received 28/7/06 Halifax intend to defend.

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL 1/8/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

13th Aug accepted offer unconditionally.

BIRMINGHAM MIDSHIRES (MORTGAGE) SETTLED IN FULL 24/8/06

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

DEFAULTS REMOVED 5/09/06.
THATS 9 DAYS LATER, YES 9 DAYS

I too had tried the reasonable route before. It got me nowhere either with Halifax or the credit ref agencies.

How dare they make you rent for 6 years when you want to buy, it makes my blood boil. This is well worth the effort. You will get lots of support here. I'm sure you feel better now (empowered) just knowing you CAN AND WILL do something about it.

Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Birmingham Midshire (mortgage charges) Prelim letter sent 2nd Aug 2006, full offer received 11th Aug with conditions.

Sent SurlyBonds template letter to get defaults removed to Birmingham Midshires 27/08/06

Hi Lizzy

That is so true! When we sold our house to go into rented so that it put us in a stronger position as buyers, the thought of not being able to get a mortgage and not owning our own home would have been my worst nightmare! When it became reality, I honestly thought the bottom of my world had dropped out and have been really low with it.

Just knowing that you don't have to take this crap and there is something you can actively do is a great help! Since discovering this site and spending hours just reading through all the threads, hubby says i'm now like a 'terrier with a rag' haha!

Well, hopefully we too may be able to get this default removed and get on with our lives, then I fully intend to go after them for all the bank charges they've charged my husband over the years too!!!!

It must have been a great relief when they removed your default - I suppose you must feel like you have got your life back!!

The bullet points to get it removed are

1. They never sent you the default notice in the 1st place. OR EVEN IF THEY DID........

2. The contract with Halifax has ended. It ended when it defaulted and also when you closed it. You never gave permission for them to show your information for 6 years.

2. Doesn't matter who closed it ... you or them ... or whether it was closed by default or not... if a contract's finished, it's finished.

Also, Experian have now admitted that their right to hold default entries should be dependant on what the specific terms of the contract said.

Experian1websize.jpg

Experian2websize.jpg

QED.:)

I'm often a sarcastic SOB and speak my mind (and I don't do PC at all), but I have a laugh as I go. I won't be intimidated, and I don't take prisoners... so live with it, or go get yourself a humour implant :p

Copy of Law book from Amazon…£19.95, Refund Request stamp...32p, LBA stamp...also 32p, Court fees...£750.00,

The look on the bank's barrister's face, when they lost the '£25k Mother-of-all unfair charges' cases...(plus his £8k+ of costs)... Priceless!

The legal bit: These are my opinions and own view of legislation and process. I accept no liability whatsoever for any outcome as a result of anyone invoking any or all of the advice given - clarify your own personal stuation with an insured legal professional.

Saying that, I've used these methods against many of these corporate crooks:evil: and won hands down!:D

Lovely to see the document, have you framed it SurlyBonds.....needs a gold frame I feel and pride of place.

There you go Rustydog what more can be said. This man is really a terrier with a rag.

Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Surly, in the Orange Terms quote, it says they'll keep your info for a 'reasonable' period after the contract ends - is that not significant?

btw, have you by any chance included the letters that you've written to Experian in any threads?

Surly, in the Orange Terms quote, it says they'll keep your info for a 'reasonable' period after the contract ends - is that not significant?

btw, have you by any chance included the letters that you've written to Experian in any threads?

Those are the CURRENT terms in Orange's contract... they were not the ones in mine or my mate's contract from 3 years ago...that's why I keep saying to people....CHECK.

Orange changed them after I kicked up hell with Experian...

Last email which preceded this response is posted in the hard copy post above.

I'm often a sarcastic SOB and speak my mind (and I don't do PC at all), but I have a laugh as I go. I won't be intimidated, and I don't take prisoners... so live with it, or go get yourself a humour implant :p

Copy of Law book from Amazon…£19.95, Refund Request stamp...32p, LBA stamp...also 32p, Court fees...£750.00,

The look on the bank's barrister's face, when they lost the '£25k Mother-of-all unfair charges' cases...(plus his £8k+ of costs)... Priceless!

The legal bit: These are my opinions and own view of legislation and process. I accept no liability whatsoever for any outcome as a result of anyone invoking any or all of the advice given - clarify your own personal stuation with an insured legal professional.

Saying that, I've used these methods against many of these corporate crooks:evil: and won hands down!:D

Ahh ok, that's a point, it's just I get confused with how contracts can be changed-don't banks regularly change terms and conditions, sending them out every so often and writing to you if they 'could affect you dtrimentally' or whatever...Or that may be when they change their personal banking terms and conditions which are referred to in the contract...not too clear on that point...

As to contracts, I am not sure how many I've kept!! Would it be up to me to provide them to prove that they have no such clause or would the CRA/Bank etc have to prove it

Ahh ok, that's a point, it's just I get confused with how contracts can be changed-don't banks regularly change terms and conditions, sending them out every so often and writing to you if they 'could affect you dtrimentally' or whatever...Or that may be when they change their personal banking terms and conditions which are referred to in the contract...not too clear on that point...

As to contracts, I am not sure how many I've kept!! Would it be up to me to provide them to prove that they have no such clause or would the CRA/Bank etc have to prove it

And anyway, even their new terms say:

"We will keep your information for a reasonable period after your contract with us finished in case you decide to use our Services again and may contact you about our Services during this time"

Which means, in English:

1. We/Us/Orange will keep.....on OUR systems internally, NOT the CRAs, nor have we included the word disclose.

2. for a reasonable period after your contract with us has finished... unless you write to us to remove it

3. in case you decide to use our Services again... i.e. if you want to come back we can check internally if you were a good mug or a pain in the ar*e customer - so this data is ONLY being kept for internal checking and marketing only, we are not disclosing it to others.

4. and may contact you about our Services during this time...we might ring you up and badger you to come back.

These new clauses STILL do not specifically mention ANYTHING about disclosing data to the CRAs, so Experian's example here in the letter is actually a pi**-poor example to use.

This is, actually, a very badly written clause... maybe I ought to shut up posting these anomalies as they are obviously watching and learning themsleves.

Right, have done the default letters as per Surlybonds template. That is going off recorded delivery this afternoon. Now I thought it would be a good idea to send the CRA's a letter requesting that they remove the default as it is in dispute.

Not quite sure how to word this letter. Is there a correct way this should be worded? Is there a template for this? Help!!:roll:

Right, have done the default letters as per Surlybonds template. That is going off recorded delivery this afternoon. Now I thought it would be a good idea to send the CRA's a letter requesting that they remove the default as it is in dispute.

Well may as well go all the way. Well done, 21 days and counting. Let us know what mail you get. How exciting, open that wine tonight and relax a bit ;-)

I do feel like I have got my life back. just can't wait to try it out. I/we have to be careful what we sign in future. Surly says to just cross out the bits you don't want and add in your own bit at the bottom that says FOR THE TERM OF THE CONTRACT. My trouble is I like to apply online and I will have to ask for a paper copy. A little price to pay really :)

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Doubt they would notice. Or if it was for a sofa or something like that they will want the business and probably won't care. It is mainly for that bit at the end FOR THE TERM OF THE CONTRACT, surely they can't grumble at that. Not asking for the moon there are we. Then again we all know about those job worths out there :(

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Are you default free now Tobes ? Iv'e read your signature.

Lizzy

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Halifax

Sent LBA
27/6/06

Donation made

Well may as well go all the way. Well done, 21 days and counting. Let us know what mail you get. How exciting, open that wine tonight and relax a bit ;-)

I do feel like I have got my life back. just can't wait to try it out. I/we have to be careful what we sign in future. Surly says to just cross out the bits you don't want and add in your own bit at the bottom that says FOR THE TERM OF THE CONTRACT. My trouble is I like to apply online and I will have to ask for a paper copy. A little price to pay really :)

Haha! Maybe open the wine - don't know about relaxing though! Nervous wreck at the moment and no nails left!:o I'm very similar as in I like to do everything over the internet but after this I'm going to be very careful what agreements I enter into and what I sign my name to!

Will keep you posted! Congratulations on being default-free!!:D