Phones4U - cancelling phone

casey
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son had a contract phone that had developed a fault and he returned it to Phones4U for repair. However, when he went to the shop he was persuaded to take out a contract on another phone. The previous phone was orange and the new phone is vodafone. However, after a couple of days he realised that he could not get on with the phone at all (he's not exactly a technophobe so knows how it all works). However, they say that there is no cooling off period and he's now stuck with paying £35 a month for 24 months for a phone that he just does not like - all he really wanted was his original phone repairing.

Is it possible for him to just sell this new phone?

Thanks Lee (once again - seems to be a full time job dealing with my children's phone issues!!!) He has spoken to the manager and to head office and been told categorically that they will not change the phone. As you say, it does seem to be strange to go into a store for a repair and come out with a new phone and contract. However, he was persuaded to give up his old phone and because he still had 11 months to run on the contract they did actually give him £300 in cash at the time to cancel his old contract (I think there would be about £350 owing on the old contract). So I can see how a 19 year old was persuaded to take out a new phone - £300 cash in his hand!!! I believe a portion of this was for his old phone but I can't really understand how they work this out. Okay, so he is going to have to use this to pay off his old contract. They did tell him that if he had chosen the other phone he would not have received the £300 (even though the contract would have been for the same amount . However, he does not get on with the new phone at all - it is far too slow for him and just can't keep up with him when he tries to text and ends up turning itself off halfway through and then suddenly turns itself back on again.

I don't think he really wants to cancel the new contract - just change the phone for one that is more suitable for his needs.

Normally when he wants a new phone he does a lot of research on the internet and then probably tries out his friends' phones before making a decision - he certainly had no inention of getting a new phone when he went into the shop.

I can see how he was persuaded by the salesman - I have experienced this myself at Phones4u when mystery shopping and felt that there was too much pressure.

Hi Loopinlouie,

Yes, I think he has decided he will sell it - it seems that he can probably get as much for this one as he would have to pay for the one he wants but will probably have to get it exchanged first because of it keep switching itself on and off as he couldn't really sell it knowing that there is a problem with it. I've a very cheap phone (bought for £10 on PAYG Orange!!) which he could use temporarily until he sells his although I'm not really sure at this stage whether the phone is really his to sell - I'm not at all up to date with these phone contracts.

Thanks Loopinlouie - This is probably what he'll have to do. I did email phones4u but have received no response from them. I might just have to send my mother into the branch with him - she won't stand for any nonsense.

Hi Lee,

Thanks once again for your input. My son did actually call in at the Vodafone shop and was told that they should have allowed him seven days to change his mind. I haven't heard anything from Phones4u yet but will convey that information to them.

My son has decided that he has found a buyer for his phone but unfortunately - it's his younger brother!!! I really don't need this as the onus will be on me now to try and get them to repair the phone as his brother is under 18. I am really trying hard to make them change their minds as I really don't want all this hassle - I have a £10 PAYG phone and am quite happy with it myself!!

Hi Lee,

Still no response from Phones4U - will probably have to go back to manufacturers as the local branch don't seem to want to know. He's now bought a new phone - a Samsung Galaxy S and it is so much better than the HTC - in fact I'm quite tempted myself. Another three family members/friends have also said they're going to get one - naturally they'll avoid Phones4U so really they've lost a few customers.

• Haha 1

Yes, I quite agree - I usually buy all my products (apart from groceries) online - just have to train my children to do the same. I will check over the product sometimes instore before buying online. I have found before that I can check a product in Currys and then buy it from Currys cheaper online, even allowing for any delivery costs.

Hi Lee,

Thanks again for your input. He is delighted with his new phone but the thing is that he would never have even thought about a new phone until he took his old one in to be repaired and was persuaded to take out the new one which he was not happy with. It does not work properly - however Phones4u don't want to know - I think they think he's trying it on because he tried first to exchange the phone so now it seems he's stuck with a phone that doesn't work properly - keeps switching itself off so he's bought the new phone and stuck with the old one without being able to sell it expect perhaps for scrap value which really should not happen with a phone just a couple of weeks old.

I'm not very good with phones or with confrontation but my daughter will be back in five weeks and maybe she will go in with him - she's more insistent than I am. In the meantime, my son is a full time student whose seasonal job is just coming to an end so guess who will be picking up the bill!!!