• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Undettered,unrepentant,un detained Vance Miller?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am new to the Consumer Action Group.

I had a kitchen supplied this year from " Simply Kitchens " it is faulty, damaged, with missing parts & the customer service along with the entire company attitude is Appauling.

A little too late but having researched this matter & reporting it to Trading Standards I believe this to be the Company of the Rogue Trader Mr Vance Miller in Oldham who has appeared on Watchdog in the past?

I am still waiting for my kitchen to be completed after 5 weeks! Im interested in anybody who has had a similar experience and any advise with regards to taking this matter to the Small Claims Court.

:dizzy: "Dizzie Diva" ;)

<<<<<<<<<<please tip my star if my support or advise was useful?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I sent a letter on the 23rd March 2010 stating that " The Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982 " requires goods to be delivered free from faults, as described, of satisfactory quality & fit for purpose. Then I explained the problems. I am now on my 2nd letter threatening court action, advise from Trading Standards. Im asking anybody who has had dealings with this Man to come forward with their experience & what action they took, if any. He has traded under Kitchens Direct, Maple Kitchens, Rock Solid Kitchens & now Simply Kitchens ! I have read many of unhappy consumer comments since on the web & still this man is allowed to trade and con people out of their money !!

Understood, thanks. I think I will make an appointment also to CAB. I think he trade's under a new name every 6 months.

CONSUMERS BEWARE OF BUYING KITCHENS ON THE INTERNET VANCE MILLER IS STILL TRADING UNDER DIFFERENT NAMES :)

I dont know if you have read all, but if you google Vance Miller there is alot of information about him. He has infact been getting away with conning people for years and nobody has managed to permantely close him down and remove all his assets & profit, of which he has made out of comsumers sorrow having sold them faulty kitchens.

Im going to write to my local MP, as it appears trading standards are not that concerned.

Please come forward if you are a victim of VANCE MILLER, we should all stick together & close him down.

Thank you for all your replys. Im off to my local CAB and advise centre today, il see how i get on there.

I know now that Vance Miller has been on watchdog, only i dont watch it, i never watch television, im normally too busy. I live in Bristol and down here iv not heard of him before, plus my local MFI went into liquidation and thats the selling point they used, telling me it was MFI liquidated stock.

A friend of mine, her friends local to myself had the same problem as me going back 6 months ago, but he was then named Rock Solid Kitchens. It appears that he is well known up North but not in the South West. How can i legally help consumers be aware of this man ?

• 1 month later...
Yes, Interest from date of Judgement.... put it in your PoC.

At the suggested rate of? maybe 8%?

Im claiming £1500 for the supply of the kitchen and £1500 for the costs of the fitters.

As i am claiming for the cost of the fitters, and will include a statement from them, does this mean that the fitters have to appear in court as witness's or not?

KR

DizzieDiva

You can only charge a rate approved by your court, I believe it is 8%. The fitters are not party to the action, you are providing their INvoice as evidence of the costs you are being required to pay, so no - they do not need to appear in court, only if the invoice is challenged by the defender.

Hey thanks for the info, you've been a great help.:-)

On the N1 claim form i should really name the defendant as Mr Lee Darby as this is the name on the invoice for the proprietor, but infact the proprietor is Mr Vance Miller!!!

Can i put both names or is that unacceptable in a court of law?

Good, not Limited then. In that case you name the Proprietor, you can usefully name the other person as an 'interested party'.

Cool...then that's completed and in the post. My house is in bad repair and I was trying to get it up together a little bit thinking of putting it on the market in order to be debt free but it's been a downward spiral and disastrous.

Thankyou

• 2 weeks later...
Please help me stop Vance Miller from conning any more people by joining this group and posting your stories on the discussion board. If we get enough momentum we can hopefully stop him and recover our money- he has conned my mum VANCE MILLER MUST BE STOPPED! | Facebook

I am also trying to make it a trending topic on Twitter #StopVanceMiller

Hi there, sorry to hear about this happening to your mum, i understand how she must be feeling. I am still suffering from this awful experience and as a result became very depressed about the situation.

I was trying to improve my kitchen as cheaply as i could in order to sell my house and become debt free but i have achieved nothing, infact i am much worse off and i have to live with an unfinished kitchen. I have no door fronts exposing all my cuboard contents, no breakfast bar as the side panels to the base unit are missing and the sink drainer leaks. The cornice, plinths & pelmet dont even match the colour of the doors and the electric appliances are appauling, and iv read on the internet that you cant find spare parts for them.

After a deep depression creating to my other problems i have just managed to complete my County Court Claim against them, i have sent this off, i am now waiting for a responce. I have kept all evidence that i have to aid me with my case. I am now determined to pursue with this, this helping my mood lift.

I am not banking on getting my money back because i dont want anymore disapointment but i feel a whole lot better now i have started this fight.

Of course with the fantastic help and guidance from the members on this forum.

I will gladly join you on facebook and twitter but the only way to stop this man is for more conned customers to take this man to court. I even emailed watchdog but had no reply, thats why i took it on board myself.

You can start a claim on line at www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk it does cost you but you can add the court costs to the amount you are claiming. I bought the SMALL CLAIMS COURT GUIDE 'NEW EDITION' at the top of this forum. It is an exellent guide & helps you through completing the N1 claim form.

May i ask what the company was at the time your mother bought her kitchen as he trades under different names, when i bought mine he was trading under the name of "Simply Kitchens", he has now changed the name to "Kitchens Simply" !!!!! Grrrr

Good luck, i hope you find the strength like i have to try to get justice, i agree this villan has to be stopped.

KR Dizzie p.s keep me informed & likewise :)

Edited by DizzieDiva2010
Add info

Hiya,

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. My mum was duped under Simply Kitchens and their customer service is beyond a joke. I sent an email on the 15th June and sent a letter via recorded delivery today under advice from Consumer Direct. Like you, we didn't find out it was a [problem] until it was too late so now I'm doing everything I can to raise awareness and stop this man.

My mum got her kitchen done as she's been suffering from depression due to contracting Tuberculosis and the long term affect it has had on her quality of life. She thought having her kitchen done might make her happier, but it has made it much, much worse and her health is deteriorating due to the lack of food.

Our next step will be to take Simply Kitchens to court, but we will give them a chance to reply to my letter. In the meantime I'm getting as much online support as possible (just started today- 30th June)- I was a marketing student until illness affected me so I have kind of an idea about how to gain momentum without screwing anyone over!

Good luck with your claim- keep in touch.

Nicki x

Hi Nicki. I reported this to trading standards & the reply I got was there were no reports of this matter in my area. I sent all the standard letters to Simply Kitchens and not once did I have a reply & I have not heard from them since, so by law I have given them sufficient time to recitfy the problem. I asked for a full refund as the quality of the kitchen is not good enough and it has not been sold as stated, the door fronts are not solid wood & none of it is MFI liquidated stock like they had shown me in their glossy brochure. I have written & posted three letters to them under the advise of trading standards & posted them recorded of which I have kept proof.

I ordered my kitchen on the 18th February 2010, & it was delivered on the 9th March 2010. LATE. If you read your invoice it states that the customer has 7days to CANCEL the contact with them and report faulty damaged or missing goods, but how can you do that when it is not delivered within 7 days. You can't possibly do that. It also states on my contract that whilst they try to ensure that all goods are delivered on not faulty there will be most certainly be somthing missing or damaged. WHY should there be is what I say!

My parents kindly loan me the money to help me sell my house and now I am pursuing a court case which could take along time and in the meantime I have to live in this mess. Your mum will not hear from them they are a real con company. A friend of mine, her friends local to me went through the same as us who live local to me. They didn't report it but took it on the chin.

I feel for your mum, I have suffered clinical depression for over a decade now & at times matters like this I find it very hard in lifting my mood and finding the strength to fight. I have recently been feeling very unwell and had a depressive episode. However I refuse to let this man win after the grief he has caused myself & others. My friend friends got conned by this man back the end of last year when he was trading under "Solid Rock Kitchens" therfore he changed the name not long after to "Simply Kitchens" this year before he conned me. Hurry up and start your court claim. What contact have you had with them, what letters have you sent them, as long as you give them sufficient time to reply, but trust me they won't, you can put your claim in before he LIQUIDATES his company starting up with a new one.

I agree with you about there customer services. They leave you ringing and ringing for minutes without picking up, they are rude. I have original call logs from my service provider, I have recorded my conversations, asking to speak to the Managing Director Mr Vance Miller, kept all letters & proof of posting. I have photographs & videos of the kitchen & a professional kitchen fitter as a witness. I suggest you start preparing your case against them, trading standards are useless. Keep in contact, I will guide you if needed and vise versa. Get onto it fast.

Thanks for the info- I have no idea how to start compiling a case- do I have to get the claim in before he liquidates then? I'll private message you my phone number and maybe we can go through it when you're free? Tonight? I can call you, I have free minutes. I'll read through this thread again when I finish at work.

nicki

Hi, im going to post up the invoice & the back of it which is the contract & my reciept given by Simply Kitchens. Also the claims form i have sent to my local County Court. This should give you an idea hopefully, like i said i used the Small Claims Court Guide New Addition purchased from this forum at the top of this page as a guide to filling out the N1 claim form for starting a County Court Claim. I too never had the first idea but as you will see i have started my claim & you can too. Here it is...

0d3ab231.jpg?t=1280410668

c7024d83.jpg?t=1280410736

3ffec2cf.jpg?t=1280410796

9626fbfc.jpg?t=1280410874

google online www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk you can complete the N1 form online & print it off ready to be posted by special delivery to your local County Court, then your claim is started. My claim form is reference to mine, therefore you state on the particulars what is reference to your mothers kitchen problems. Mine cost £75 to start with & if i win i have asked for the court costs to be added to the claim, so i would get them back. In my claim against them i have included that i want the fitters cost refunded as my kitchen need re-doing from scratch.

Dont hesitate to ask further questions, i will be pleased to be of assistance.

KR DD

Edited by DizzieDiva2010

Please help me stop Vance Miller from conning any more people by joining this group and posting your stories on the discussion board. If we get enough momentum we can hopefully stop him and recover our money- he has conned my mum VANCE MILLER MUST BE STOPPED! | Facebook

I am also trying to make it a trending topic on Twitter #StopVanceMiller

It might be a thought to invite people on facebook t& twitter to view or put their own experience of him on here, the more support we gain the better. The more people that have had an issue with him and start a claim the more chance we may have of him getting closed down & hopefully sent to prison.

DD

Sorry for delayed response... Thank you so much for the info. On the facebook page I've made a discussion thread and posted up pictures of my visit from 'Tony' the other day. They delivered some more parts but they were wrong again! I started this group the other week, please join:

Page not found | Facebook

VANCE MILLER MUST BE STOPPED! Info | Facebook

You can also find me on Twitter @NickOhLaa

x

Hi Nick...well simply kitchens kept telling me that they were planning on re -delivering my damaged & missing parts but week by week was passing by and i recieved nothing, in the end i told them not to bother, because the colours on everything did not match anyway. I told them in the beginning that i wanted a full refund, of which they replied that they dont offer refunds.

I would'nt waste your time now, but concentrate on getting your counterclaim started. How long as it been since your day pf ordering and day od delivery? Have you sent them the relevant letters giving them sufficient time to rectify the problems, if yes, start your claim before its too late.

Mine is being processed right now. I chased it up today with my local court. I will help you the best i can.

DD

I wrote three letters, and telephoned them on numerous occasions, without success, in my opinion they have little or no intentions of putting things correct in my case.

Is your mother pleased with the quality of the goods supplied? I wasnt satisfied with the goods i had delivered, they were not as described.

Keep us informed on here.

• 3 weeks later...

My claim was issued on 8 July 2010.

The court sent the defendant by first class post on 22 July 2010 and it will be deemed to be served on 26 July 2010.

The defendant has until the 9 August to reply.

The claim was issued to Mr Lee Darby at Simply Kitchens, however Mr Vance Miller uses allias names and Mr Lee Darby probably has no assets in his name, therefore shouldnt i have started the claim in Mr Vance Miller's name as he is the person behind all this?

Note; i did put Mr Vance Miller down on the claims form as an interested party but the court did not state his name on the issue of notice?

How can i find out what assets these two people have; ie Lee Darby/Vance Miller?

with difficulty. Following judgment you can get them to court to answer questions under oath. Other than that, land registry searches, private investigator etc.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Firstly; i have looked at all my settings & cannot understand why i cant edit my post above?

Secondly i recieved back from the court today that a acknowledgement of service has been filed and Mr Lee Darby intends to defend all of the claim.

He had until the 9th August to reply to the court but is a week late filing on the 16th August, is this allowed?

The edit settings have changed, I think you now have only 24 hours to edit a post from when you first posted it.

If they are late you should apply for default judgment.

I just spoke to the court. I will send off for the judgement slip and they said they will process it once they recieve it.

• 3 weeks later...