• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Barclays - WON - but reneged on agreement to pay. Suggestions Please?

Bartok
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did spot it, and changed it to Defendant. Didnt want to make an issue of it on the thread.

For completeness this is the actual wording used:

Dear Sir,

Please place this letter on the above-mentioned claim for consideration by the court when deciding the Defendants application to strike out the claim.

I address some of the points raised by the defendant, in their Application to Strike Out, as follows:-

i) The defendant made several references to OFT v Abbey et-al. This case is not relevant because this is about unfair bank charges. This claim is about reclaiming losses as a consequence of breach of contract by the defendant. In any event, I understand precedents cannot be used retrospectively.

ii) Paragraph 3 the defendant says I gave 5 days to pay, but the defendant does not mention the judge offered a Tomlin order, but the defendant’s representative said it would not be necessary because payment would be made immediately and this was entered into court records (Claim no. 7QZXXXX). Afterwards I was then fobbed off with excuses and broken promises to pay long before I filed a new claim and it still took the defendant nearly three years to pay.

iii) Paragraph 6. The defendant admits it was their "administrative error" for delaying payment by nearly three years, but in paragraph 3 they acknowledge I wrote to them asking for payment in June 2007 (and enclosed a copy of that letter with their application) but does not acknowledge numerous telephone calls asking for payment as promised.

iv) Paragraphs 8 (iv), The defendant appears to say court fees cannot be reclaimed in the small claims track. I understood it is costs - as in solicitor’s fees - that cannot be reclaimed.

I respectfully submit that my claim has merit and should be allowed to proceed so that the parties can negotiate a settlement, or have the case decided by the court in due course.

• 1 month later...

Update.

The Northampton Court District Judge did not strike out the claim as originally requested by Barclay's solicitors. The Order reads:

"The application to strike out the claim must be heard on notice to the claimant. Transfer the action to the defendant's home court"

The claim has is transferred to the DEFENDANTS local county court. I think (and I may be wrong) where a claimant is an individual and the defendant is a corporate entity, claims are transferred to the CLAIMANTS local county court.

Once the defendants local court acknowledges receipt, I would like to ask the claim be transferred to the claimants local court. Does anyone know under which Civil Procedure Rule that a claim is transfrred to the claimants local county court under these circumstances?

Hi, I might have been running before learning to walk.

I have written to ther defendants home court and ask they transfer to the claimants home court because the claimant is a person and the defendant is a corporate entity.

The defendants home court is to consider an application to have the claim struck out, and there might not be an AQ if the application succeeds.

• 1 year later...

The case has been heard (I didnt get a notice of hearing from the court) and made Jedgement. Any suggestions where we go from here?

I didnt think the small claims track provided for awarding costs against either party.

bank.jpg

Yes, I got the £2400 ish but that was already ours because the bank had drawn the money from the account.

The claim was for costs, namely court fees to apply to the court and ask the bank comply with its agreement (signed contract) to pay, when it failed to do so.

Should a N244 be filed? and ask for the judgement/order be set aside? the court did not send the claimant a notice of the hearing.

I dont understand why the defendant is allowed to claim legal fees when the claimant is not.

and given the catalogue of errors in the courts handling of the case (and the defendant in breach of contract), should this be a case for complaint to the parliamentary ombudsman?

This has left us seriously out of pocket through no fault of our own.

The bank agreed to pay £2000 in June 2007 as part settlement of £4466 on condition the claim is dropped.

The bank did not keep its promise to pay.

A new claim was filed on 06 May 2010 using the following particulars:

The claimant filed a claim against the defendant as claim number 7QZ21261 for unfair bank charges on 20/02/07 and the defendant contractually agreed to pay the claim without judgment on 06/06/07 on condition I close the claim without judgment. The defendant reneged on this and I filed a new claim 7QT08579 which incurred court fees of £120 on 21/06/2007 and £100 on 02/07/2007. The defendant then paid the original claim minus the court fees. The claimant claims a) £220 for breach of contract per se, or by Hadley v Baxendale (1854) 9 Exch 341 and in the alternative; the claimant has a claim against the defendant on the basis of estoppel by representation b) statutory interest under Section 69 of the Courts Act of £49.80 and 0.00022% per day until date of payment. c) court fees.

I would write to the Court Mgr and ask why you were not informed of the Strike Out Application, or given the opportunity to attend and represent your interests.

I think you need more info before you decide how to act or who to complain to.

Can you let me know anything else needed? I do have all three case bundles scanned and ready for upload.

I would write to the Court Mgr and ask why you were not informed of the Strike Out Application,

My apologies, we were informed of the application, but we did not receive notice of the hearing date.

DRAFT LETTER, any comments good and bad.

The Court Manager

Horsham County Court

Law Courts

Hurst Road

Horsham

RH12 2EU

18 July 2011

Dear Sir,

RE: [XXXXXX]

I write in reply to receiving an order made in my absence.

I confirm the court did not send me a notice giving the date of the hearing.

This has exposed me to a loss of £905 plus the amount of my original claim and associated court fees.

I understand I need to give the court service a reasonable opportunity to put things right in the form of an “official complaint”, and I look forward to receiving an early and positive outcome.

Yours Sincerely

[NAME] (Claimant)

Any party is entitled to apply to set aside an order made in their absence. It will have to be done on notice - fee £80 - and reasons given for non attendance.

That would imply that I have to pay a fee to ask the court to comply with its own rules, it was the court administration that resulted in the claimant not receiving notice of the hearing.

Incidentally estoppel can only be used as a defence to a claim, and not a claim itself.

You could well be right !! this might explain why the case was struck out.

Unfortunately I didnt have counsel to represent me.

I would also have liked to address the court concerning the issue of costs which, in my absence, were awarded against me at £905.

I might be nit picking, but the order says the claimant should pay. Going by usual court vernacular, it doesn't say the claimant do pay ...

and this doesnt appear to be a judgement, thus cannot be enforced, can anyone better informed confirm this?

I had already sent my previous letter, so I'll send your letter above if I dont get a positive reply from the court manager.

Someone suggested speaking to my MP, because the court did not follow procedure to allow me reasonable time to represent my interests. Is this a reasobable course of action?

I think the complaints procedure is the way to go. Does anyone know the procedure?

The resolution I would like is:

1. The court to cancel the order.

If they cant then:

2. The court pay compensation for my losses and the amount of the original claim as a result of court administration.

Is this reasonable? if not, what would be reasonable?

The link is very useful, I think complaint then MP is the way forward.

As for the second claim, I dont think its unreasonable, not on the scale as freeloading £4400 of money the defendant were supposed to be entrusted with, then agreeing to repay half of it and breaking that agreement. That breach incurred costs and its only those costs I am asking the defendant to repay. This all happened before OFT v Abbey even started.

I dont know if that would stand as a reasonable defence for £905 costs and a strike out. Any opinions?

• 2 weeks later...

The court has allowed me to make without a fee, an application to set aside the Order of July 15 and enclosed an N244.

Set aside the Order of 15 July 2011

because

The Claimant did not receive a notice of the hearing from the court and not given a reasonable opportunity to represent her interests.

Any Advantage/disadvantage in a telephone hearing or going without a hearing? Dont really want to commit any more time in attending.

Any comments on my Q3 above?