• Tweets

• he may be using a different name but cars and vans/vans and cars it’s all the same Gerard Bird/Gerry Bird/G Bird aka Gurdip Singh Virdi He is still doing the same thing, operating from the same premises at 101a Longford, I’m guessing during Covid they got the great idea to rip people off remotely and charge people for the pleasure. they now deliver cars that are shocking quality and refuse to even accept the issues you find. Then Gaslight you into thinking your the problem and call you an idiot for buying a used car instead of a new one. Buyers beware this thread is vitally important     
    • Changes to China's state secrets law requires internet firms to monitor information shared by users.View the full article
    • The only way to verify whether there is any financial reward for the management is seeing the agreement. That would be required during disclosure IF court proceedings went ahead... Unless you could bring pressure to bear and get a copy?
    • god they've got at you haven't they. told you all the usual utter BS. a CCJ vanishes from your credit file on it's 6th B'Day regardless to being paid off or not or paying or not. same with any debt with a registered defaulted date - it vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th B'day regardless. creditfix are Knightsbridge, (they renamed) there are 100's of threads here on Knightsbridge, if i remember rightly 2 of the directors of a certain very big IVA provider were struck off for embezzling £1m's out of debtors. pers i'd stop paying now.  end of . just ignore them all. 99% of your debts are to utterly powerless DCA's and probably were never owed in the first place only goes to firm up my belief from post one..you got had blind. its very easy to deal with the debts even those with CCJ's. can you copy and paste what you credit file says regarding the IVA please?   
    • The airline says it is investigating reports that customers can view other passengers' personal information.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Dissecting the Manchester Test Case....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also I feel it would a good idea to rewrite the CCA request letter quoting from this judgement i.e

" If the copy you provide is reconstituted you must inform me whether you hold the original on file or if this is from your records as per Carey V HSBC Bank Plc 2009 [EWHC] 3417" ect ect

This should put the DCA's on their toes as you can bet they will be quoting their version's to us as soon as their paralegals have updated their theatomatic machine

Excellent idea. :)

Mustn't give them an inch.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stinks of the Rankines :rolleyes:

At the very least you would think these other claims companies would have taken the hint after the Rankine judgement.

But, no. They steamed onwards resulting in this. :rolleyes:

However, as said, it's not so bad for us really.

Most caggers are just interested in defending themselves against unfair and heavy-handed action from creditors/DCAs. Hopefully the impact on that will be minimal or can be worked around.

Page 19 (57) Nice to see that the creditor now has to admit to not having a true copy J. Thanks Judge!

Not quite as I read it?

Mr Gun Cuninghame says that in providing the copy the creditor should state that it is a reconstituted as opposed to a direct copy. Mr Mitchell for Barclays says that it is not necessary to do more than say in the covering letter that it contains a copy compliant with s78.1 accept that as a matter of law, s78 does not itself require any particular explanation as to how the copy was made. However, as matter of good practice and so as not to mislead the debtor it is clearly desirable that the creditor should explain that it is providing a reconstituted as opposed to a physical copy of the executed agreement. It will also explain why the copy might otherwise look a little odd - see, for example, the first page of the copy in Carey at page 197. The creditor can also explain in the letter that this procedure is satisfactory under the Act. This accords with the thrust of the latter part of paragraph 2.9.5 of the OFT Draft Guidance. And in practice, the Defendants thus far have usually said something about what it is they are providing under s78 in the letters accompanying the copies where actual photocopies of the executed agreement are not supplied. See for example the letters at pages 117 (Yunis), 177 (Carey), 600 (Backwell), 677 (Mandal) and 802 (Light). Mr Thanki pointed out that as far as RBS was concerned it makes it clear in the covering letter when it is reconstituting the agreement.

Obviously, from that they must declare when they are providing a reconstituted copy, but that is not the same as requiring them to declare whether they do indeed hold an original copy.

If they in some way try to mislead the debtor into thinking that they have an original when they don't then that would fall fouls of all sorts of unfair trading regulations, but the assertions above don't say anything about that. The creditor could just refrain from commenting on whether they hold an original or not, and still comply with the spirit of that paragraph.

Is there comment elsewhere regarding declaring if they have an original? Scanning the judgement now, but can't find anything yet?

Gyos, 51 deals with expectation that it MUST be an exact copy of the original, that is contain all that the original had and no more ie adding the bits that were missing.

57 also makes mention.

67 what should be in.

In theory he he tells the creditor even if you send a made up copy it must only contain what was in the original, but how do they know if they havent got it? It also relies on them being honest!

I'm aware of that thanks. :) It wasn't what I was querying.

What I was querying is the assertion that upon supplying a "reconstructed" true copy, that they must declare whether they actually hold an original.

Obviously, they would have to state that it is a reconstruction under that judgement. That much is very clear.

Supplying a "reconstructed" copy cannot necessarily be taken to be admission that they don't have or can't find an original. There have been too many cases where a creditor has eventually dredged up an agreement years after a request.

On reflection, I think that came from the OFT and not the case.... The two points probably amalgamated themselves in my head last night while reading through it. You are right. He doesn't appear to be saying they must declare that they don't have a true copy of the original.... but I have read it somewhere.... and if a consumer was to ask for a copy as part of a legal request under CPR, then they would be obliged to provide an answer of sorts.

To say you do have a copy when you don't falls foul of CPUTR.... and is misleading.... so it's covered there anyway.

:)

The way I was reading it as well. :)

Was just staring to wonder if I'd missed something obvious. :oops:

• Haha 1

the first step in any campaign should be to focus on this.

Page 19 (57) Nice to see that the creditor now has to admit to not having a true copy J. Thanks Judge!

Redraft the letters get every cagger to re-send and force them to admit what they hold. this works on so many levels.

Read through the posts on the previous page of this thread.

They are not quite saying that in the judgement itself, unfortunately.

BBC - Podcasts - Money Box

o.gif Banks 'win' credit card ruling o.gif

BBC Radio 4's Money Box

Saturday, 2 January 2010 at 1204 GMT On Radio 4 and Online

Banks have won a partial victory against some credit card customers who have been trying to avoid paying their debts.

Claims management companies have argued that a debt cannot be enforced without a copy of the original credit card agreement.

But the High Court in Manchester has ruled that banks need only provide a "reconstituted" copy of the original loan agreement.

Money Box is joined by Guy Anker, news editor of the website MoneySavingExpert.com, who explains what this ruling means.

If you do not have possession of the original signed and executed agreement you must tell me so.

Only problem is that it doesn't say anywhere in the judgement that they must.

but it does in OFT guidlelines! and like chess- although you may not get an immediate result, there are possible (criminal) repercusions if at a later date they cannot provide what they initially say they had(or inferred that they had)

softlee softlee cathcee monkee!

The new ones?

I'll believe those when I see them. I don't trust the OFT not to have removed any parts that are helpful to consumers between now and when they are published. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But if they turn out to be there, then I agree whole-heartedly. :)

Redder than dropping the bank charge fiasco ball?

Exactly. :rolleyes:

Until I see these "guidelines" officially published in their FINAL form (not draft), then I certainly not going to amuse will be in the final copy.

They have as you say, "dropped the ball" before.

i may be wrong (the christmas bubbly is still circulating) but i am sure this is already issued guidance

AC is the expert in this area she will tell you

If they were the ones about how creditors should respond to s78 requests, then the OFT have delayed publishing them until all these test cases have been done.

Waksman himself refers to them:

This accords with the thrust of the latter part of paragraph 2.9.5 of the OFT Draft Guidance.
And....

BBC News - Lenders warned not to mislead customers over debts

"The OFT has supplied its draft guidance on part of the Consumer Credit Act (CCA) to Judge Waksman, who is hearing the cases in Manchester."

"The OFT has delayed publication of its draft guidance until the outcome of the Manchester High Court hearings, whose judgements are expected to be delivered in January 2010."

The BBC don't have a good record so far, but I think they got that right.

(apart from the fact that some judgement were due before....)

Are you willing/able to share?

paulwlton and Baggio from the other thread appear to know, but I wonder if the sols for the CMCs etc don't want it put out in the public domain yet until they have had more time?

Not released to the public, yet.

Clearly, the OFT were waiting for HHJ Waksman's judgement to be handed down.

The Consumers are waiting OFT!

Which begs the question.......

Does anyone know if a firm date for publishing these guidelines has been set yet?

March 2010. There are other consultation through BERR which would have an impact on those guidelines as well so it was moved back to that date from their expected January/February date.

Irresponsible lending - The Office of Fair Trading

Those are guidelines on "irresponsible lending".

This consultation is focused on irresponsible lending practices for the purposes of section 25(2B) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

We are referring to a different set of guidance, specifically dealing with with what is required when a consumer makes a request under s77-79 of the Act.

I don't think the publication dates of the two are linked.

In the most recent post on the other forum the poster states:

"That's just it basa, they now courtesy of the ruling... don't have a requirement to actually prove it was signed and executed properly, providing an original agreement did once upon a time exist."

"They do however; have a duty to provide a reconstituted copy of the original that must be a honest and accurate copy of any original if they wish to seek legal enforcement. This does not need to be information transferred directly from the original either, (remember the lost or destroyed words) as long as the information used in the recon is drawn from other records and resembles the same information, that would have appeared on the original."

I cannot believe that statement is correct. Is it?

No. It's not correct when the creditor is taking you to court to enforce an agreement.

The person on the other forum doesn't seem to be able to grasp the concept that the burden of proof shifts when it is the creditor taking action.

Plus, they seem to be guilty of exactly what they think CAG posters are doing.

I believe a lot of people are trying to make it read their way, instead of concentrating on the judgement wording.

But going beyond that, and also failing to understand the purpose and context of this ruling and the judge's statements in it.

When Waksman states that "The absence of a copy of a signed executed agreement is no evidence that such an agreement was not made", he is referring specifically to claims such as the ones in question where the debtor is seeking that the agreement be declared unenforceable.

He is not making a wider point of law, and it certainly cannot be extrapolated to cover cases where the creditor is bringing the action against the debtor.

• Haha 1

notice Eversheds rubbing their hands over this in today's Daily Mail

A bit premature I feel,but expect them to start trying it on anytime soon

This?

Judge closes credit card loophole | Mail Online

Many of these claims are cynical because people knew what they had signed up to,' says Chris Busby, of law firm Eversheds. 'This judgment is another nail in the coffin of the credit card reclaim industry.'

blah...blah...blah....

The ruling means that only those treated unfairly by a bank and cases where there have been technical breaches of other consumer rules have a chance of having debts eradicated.

Just got my hands on the OFT guidance submitted in the test case.

PW

Will be interesting to see, but also will obviously not be the same as any final version.

i.e. of limited use until a final version is available.

Fantastic to see it, and thankyou Paul if you can though . :)