• Tweets

• and it will be also now written off under age related criteria anyway.
    • @dx100ukThanks for this! I'm still not clear if I'm facing more than 6 points on my license though. Can you explain any further please? When I accept the 2nd speeding ticket, will they just charge me £100 and 3 points, or will they be more severe consequences since that offense took place the following day of the 1st offense? Similarly, when I accept the 3rd offense, will they look at my record or just charge me with the £100 fine and 3 points? @Man in the middleI've been searching the forum and you seem very knowledgeable. Would you mind giving a look at my query please? Thanks in advance!!
    • Yes of course. That's why it says cc:: BIg Motoring World at the bottom. Don't imagine that this solves the issue. It doesn't. He not have to force the finance company and big motoring world to accept the rejection to give your money back. I suggest that you get the letter off tomorrow. And let us know what you hear but on Friday you should then send a threat to the finance company.   Have a look what I have said here about your options and read the whole thread as well.  
    • Been perusing the actual figures on the polls above wondering where the '16% claimed for deform comes from? I understand that there are 'weighted' end results based on secret calculations ...   Probably going to repeat this later, but remember that the ukip/brexit/reform/deform party has ALWAYS had poll speculation FAR better than their actual  performance at elections - by large margins. SO: The labor and Tory votes come largely from simply the people who say they will vote for them - sorted Lab 43% Tory 20%, with maybe another small 1-2% coming from the weightings of the 'not sures' Greens largely get what is declared from 'other' , although with another declared green bit from the 'pressed' question   So as the share of the voting displayed in 'other' granted to reform/deform is around 11%, where does the '16% too often being reported come from? Seems that reform has been granted as beneficiary of effectively ALL the don't knows and wont says, who when pressed didn't actually declare for someone else ... effectively adding 40%+ to their reported polling % - rather strange given their consistent under-performance compared to polling - or perhaps that is the cause of the higher rating eh?   Now I admit the possibility (probability?) of wingers being ashamed of declaring their support for the yuckey lemon end of the spectrum ... but surely  that should affect the 'Torys as well? Maybe the statisticians have simply weighted in that deform wingers are simply more likely to lie?   But - without 'weightings' and assumptions that faragits will get everything that isnt declared as a definite and unequivocal 'not that Piers Morgan' - reform is on around 11% it seems.   Add to that the history of polling a lot less than the hype - and the simple fact that faragit wingers seem to be spread across the country (presumably skulking in their moms spare room despite being 45+) and greens and lib dems seem to be community minded - I think two seats will be an epic result for farage. Hardly the opposition - far more raving wingnut party.   and importantly - Has farage got a home in clacton yet?
    • "as I have no tools available to merge documents, unless you can suggest any free ones that will perform offline merges without watermarking" (which you don't) ... but ok please upload the documents and we'll go from there
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Intimidating phone call from ECI Debt Collectors!

panther12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6507 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a letter from ECI Debt Collectors telling me to ring them urgently. Now I knew this was to do with an old Barclaycard debt from over 8 years ago as it has been passed to various debt collectors but the debt is statute barred. The last letter I received was about 2 years ago from Global Debt collectors.

I rang ECI and spoke to a very snotty woman who said I owe over £5000 and I must pay now! (The original debt to Barclays was around 2k so gawd knows where the rest has come from). I informed them that the debt is statute barred under the Limitation Act and she said that although we can't use the courts we will still come after you for the money. I said that once I have informed you the debt is unenforceable in law then any further attempt to obtain monies is harassment. She tried to bully and frighten me and said they will continue to write, phone and call on me until I pay!

What should I do or who should I contact about this intimidating action. Should I first write to ECI to put it in writing that any further attempt to obtain money will be reported to the authorities as harassment? Incidentally, the woman flippantly told me to report it to the Police if I like but they will continue pursuing me until I pay?

Hi

The OFT!!!

Google, Advanced Search, Exact phrase Enter. Look for:

OFT press release: OFT warns debt collectors about unfair practices.

www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+releases/2002/PN+82-02+OFT+warns+debt+collectors+about+unfair+practices.htm - 21k - 14 Aug 2006 -

Citizens Advice also have an article based on the OFT press release.

Hope this helps

Best of luck

PeterG

Guest Zooman

I will now take sometime to answer your question and hopefully a few others.

Creditors or their agents are not allowed to harass debtors, but what is harassment.

Harassment is not one phone call however rude in 8 years. If you can prove harassment in relation to debt collection there is a lot that can be done with the courts.

To build a case you need a dairy of events in a small book.

Each time your are contacted by them on the phone you need to write as much and a few lines about the call.

Each time your are contacted by them by letter you need to record the Date of the letter in your dairy. Then keep the letter and staple the envelope to the letter.

Each time your are contact them by letter you need to record the Date of the letter in your dairy. Then keep a copy of the letter on file.

Over time you may be able to bring a case.

I'm sorry Zooman but that is trivialising the matter, the laws on Harrasment are very precise in that it is not the volume of calls or interactions that trigger an offence it is the nature and content. If panther 12 is affected by the content then strictly speaking the caller is in breech. P12 report them to the OFT they have strict guidlines of conduct. There are other threads on the site giving advice as to how to deal with this type of call.

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

Guest Zooman

You can not report them to the OFT it has to be the police or trading standards. Maybe it does seem to be trivialising the matter but it is also the truth. And I hate to say it these type of Companies that buy statute barred debt do not care about OFT guidelines. If fact if the OFT guidelines where followed we would not have issues around DCAs statute barred debt, but the truth is that they are only guidelines.

ECI is run from somewhere in Surrey and the big cheese used to be the big cheese at the Credit Services Association (CSA). A condition of their membership is adherence to the OFT guidelines on debt collection.

That's not much use in this case but after firing off a letter to these armholes informing them the debt is staute barred and unenforceable and demanding they leave you alone you can safely ignore them.

Try these, they worked for us.

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref:

Despite my instruction regarding any communication from your company, which stated that I require all communications in writing, your telephone calls continue.

This behaviour constitutes harassment; my instruction stated quite clearly to you that I require all communications in writing. Do not telephone me again and remove any telephone numbers you hold for me from your systems.

Your telephone calls are in breach of the Office of Fair Trading guidelines. If you continue to telephone me after the receipt of this letter an official complaint, together with a log recording the times and frequency of the calls will be passed both to that office and to the Trading Standards office. For your information note that all telephone calls are recorded.

This type of debt collection method is contrary to the ‘Administration of Justice Act 1970’ in that it is intended to cause alarm and distress to the recipient. Your methods will not be tolerated. Should the telephone calls not cease immediately a formal complaint, containing copies of all correspondence including yours, will be submitted to the relevant authorities. This will be relevant to questions of your fitness to hold a licence under the Consumer Credit Act, whether or not it results in a prosecution.

Take further note that continued telephone calls after the receipt of a request not to call may constitute a criminal offence under Section 127 of the Communications Act 2003.

I trust that I have made myself understood on this matter.

Yours faithfully

If they continue to call, send them the following, but adapted for your circumstances. With regard to the following letter, we had received a letter from the DCA confirming that all future correspondence would be in writing and that no calls would be made for ten days provided that payments were made.

Since we sent the following letter, no calls have been made and we have had a further letter confirming that none will be.

Dear

I am in receipt of your letter of (date) 2006 and note its contents.

Despite your written undertaking contained therein to cease contact via telephone and your confirmation that I have ten days before your telephone procedure will be recommenced I have received two telephone calls this morning already.

As I am sure you are aware Harassment of Debtors is a criminal offence in England and Wales under Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.

Furthermore, continued telephone calls after the receipt of a request not to call may constitute a criminal offence under section 127 of the Communications Act 2003.

In addition every individual has a right to be free from harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

The offence of causing harassment is arrestable under the provisions of Section 24(2) of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 and attracts the powers associated with such offences. Additionally Section 3 enables a person who is, or may become, the victim of behaviour prohibited by Section 1 to take civil proceedings against the perpetrator.

Further it is my contention that your company is in breach of the Office of Fair Trading guidelines on harassment.

As you have demonstrably failed to honour your written pledge I feel I have no option but to report your conduct to the relevant statutory authorities, including Trading Standards, the Financial Services Authority and the Office of Fair Trading.

If I should receive another telephone call from any person from your company at any point then I will be contacting the police to report the criminal office of harassment and will be naming you in my statement to the police.

I trust that I have made myself clear and that all future correspondence with your company will be in writing.

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

Great stuff thanks for that. I will be getting a letter fired off ASAP.

It would appear ECI are Credit Ancillary Services Ltd, trading as ECI

I searched the CSA members Home Page and ECI are

European Collections & Investigations Ltd

St Andrews House

St Andrews Road

Surbiton KT6 4LX

ECI: Under Construction

I did notice the contact name at ECI is Scott Soutar who (unless there is another Scott Soutar) was the president of the CSA! However, that might go in my favour as an ex-president of CSA should know better and adhere strictly to guidlines. I will address my letter to him personaly.

Panther said "I did notice the contact name at ECI is Scott Soutar who (unless there is another Scott Soutar) was the president of the CSA! However, that might go in my favour as an ex-president of CSA should know better and adhere strictly to guidlines. I will address my letter to him personaly."

Its what I said in my post! I wouldn't bother writing to the CSA though. They are only a trade association which depends on the subs its members pay to survive. Complaints are usually found in favour of their members.

With regard to the letters written by hagen telephone calls made after you've told the debt **** to stop should be reported to OFT and Trading Standards as well as the Information Commissioner - the **** are using data they are no longer allowed to use - and OfTel - the telephone regulator. The same letter to all four agencies should suffice.

If I were you I would be inclined to buy some telephone recording equipment and try and get them to repeat what they said to you the first time round. I would then send a copy of the recording to your local Trading Standards and the OFT. The latter don't investigate individual complaints but if they get a series of complaints about a specific company then they may take a look.

Yes I have had dealings with the CSA about 3 years ago when Global Debt Recovery Ltd were pestering me regarding this same debt. Global lied to the CSA by saying they had already sent me all the information I requested but it must have got lost in the post! I realise they all pee in the same pot but at least I did get a letter from CSA confirming that Global have informed them they have suspended the collections process on the account. But 3 years on it looks like they have now passed it onto ECI to pester me.

I wish I had recorded the conversation and think I will invest in some recording equipment for the future. I have sent a letter addressed to Scott Soutar but I won't hold my breath. Will definitely report it to all relevant authorities should they continue to harass me.

I wrote and addressed my letter to Scott Soutar and I've now received a reply from the main man himself. He basically says debts that are statute barred does not mean that the debt is not due and payable, but I am correct in stating that "continuing to press for payment after the debtor has stated that they will not be paying the debt could amount to harassment".

He denies harassment but says as I have now advised the company that I will not be paying the debt we will not be pursuing the matter further with you. A result but no doubt they will pass it on again to another debt collectors!