• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Financial statement

SusieQ33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently paying off a loan to DLC with reduced payments. Every 6 monthes they phone me up and try to get more money off me. I refused to give then any details when they last phoned last week and have now received a financial statment request from them to list income and outgoings so that they can review my payments. Am I legally obliged to give them this information.? I have always made the payments on time and am not in arrears.

Many thanks

I have done that and I received a copy of the signed agreement and the statements of account. I am also going down the same road with Barclays via CDCS who have passed the debt onto CSL. I have received an unsigned agreement from CSL and have written back to say this is unacceptable.I have stopped payments on that account......What fun!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Hi there

I have just received a Notice of debt recovery from DLC in response to my letter to them saying that their Egg card agreement was unenforceable due to the words 'approved limit' in the terms and conditions. I am not in arrears with the monthly payments and have continued to make the required payments. Can they send in the debt collecters simply because I refused to up my monthy payments and did not send a financial statement? Any suggestions as to what to say in my reply. I have been asked to phone them but guess what!!! I am not going to.

Thanks for any help

Edited by SusieQ33
spelling mistake

Hi there

I have just received a Notice of debt recovery from DLC in response to my letter to them saying that their Egg card agreement was unenforceable due to the words 'approved limit' in the terms and conditions. I am not in arrears with the monthly payments and have continued to make the required payments. Can they send in the debt collecters simply because I refused to up my monthy payments and did not send a financial statement? Any suggestions as to what to say in my reply. I have been asked to phone them but guess what!!! I am not going to.

Thanks for any help

Your letter

(1) Your monthly 5% payment is up to date

(2) You refused to pay increase monthly instalment (to what %)?

(3) You refused to send an income and expenditure statement

(4) You alleged your debt to be legally unenforceable

(2) Best to check the fine print of your agreement re an option for Egg to increase monthly minimum payment the way they are authorised to increase monthly debit interest rate. If you never agree to such an option, then Egg can whistle for it.

(3) If you have not defaulted and have not given notice of intention to default on payments, your I&E is not their business. Might as well ask their MD to send you his I&E.

(4) This is the grey area. When you volunteered your opinion that you regarded your debt as unenforceable, were you saying you would continue paying, or not continue paying? Did you say nothing at all on that score?

It would require a Test Case to clarify whether an (implicit?) intention to default in future, declare in black and white is sufficient to justify Egg initiating debt collection activities. Your precise wording will be relevant if this is going to court and the judge reaches for a decision in a grey area.

A creditor takes a debtor to court, and the judge will rule if the agreement as legally enforceable or otherwise. Until then all is a matter of opinion. The last three Test Case verdicts surprised many.

Hi there

Thanks for that. Originally they asked for an I and E form from me which I did and agreed payment, then every 6 months they would phone me up to get an increase in payment. The last time they did this I refused to speak to them and they put the request in writing which is when I wrote back and said as my circumstances had not changed I was going to continue with my current payments. I am paying £17.00 p month on the debt of £1300. I have not defaulted on the payments and they are up to date. I said nothing about continuing or not continuing to pay when I told them I thought that the agreement was unenforceable. I received another computer call from them today asking me to call them dispite having written and asked for all communication to be in writing. Presumably this is in response to my lettter sent the other day saying that as I was not in arrears and continuing to make payments I did not see why they had served a Notice of Debt Recovery on me!!!!!

I will wait and see what happens next

Susan

Edited by SusieQ33
missed a bit

Hi there

Thanks for that. Originally they asked for an I and E form from me which I did and agreed payment, then every 6 months they would phone me up to get an increase in payment. The last time they did this I refused to speak to them and they put the request in writing which is when I wrote back and said as my circumstances had not changed I was going to continue with my current payments. I am paying £17.00 p month on the debt of £1300. I have not defaulted on the payments and they are up to date. I said nothing about continuing or not continuing to pay when I told them I thought that the agreement was unenforceable. I received another computer call from them today asking me to call them dispite having written and asked for all communication to be in writing. Presumably this is in response to my lettter sent the other day saying that as I was not in arrears and continuing to make payments I did not see why they had served a Notice of Debt Recovery on me!!!!!

I will wait and see what happens next

Susan

In this war of nerves both sides are hard-up, we don't know how hard-up Egg is but they evidently need every penny they can get, so they will push for as much as possible as often as possible. Repeated requests for I&E are a nuisance, as all means tests are. Suggest you reply to the next request with

"Regret I have not yet won the lottery so cannot increase payment. Will inform you soonest as soon as I do. ;) "

As far as I know "they had served a Notice of Debt Recovery on me" is not a document recognised by law or by the regulator, and triggers no consequences. They made up the name then dignified it with Capital Letters. You could also serve them with a "You Are Seeking Blood From a Stone Notice".

If Egg's agreement to accept negotiated monthly payments is in writing I suggest you stand on that and remind them of same with a copy, together with the undisputable evidence that you honoured your side, now let them honour theirs. If Egg's letter said they accepted it subject to a review every six months, then that would weaken your case to be left alone.

I doubt if opening a fresh argument overe enforceability will soften Egg's position. More likely your case will be escalated, transfered from a softline manager to a hardline manager. If a raft of Test Case verdicts due over the next few weeks were to come down strongly in favour of cardholders on unenforceability, then that would be the time to broach that subject.

Best of luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Latest in the ongoing battle with DLC!!!

I wrote to them offering a final settlement figure of £236 on my outstanding debt of £1300. I also mentioned that as a debt recovery firm they would have bought the debt at a fraction of the balance owing.

They wrote back and said they were working for Egg and had not bought the debt!! and would only accept £980 in settlement or an increased monthly payment of £96.50. I am just about to write to tell them what to do with it!!!

I think my next course of action should be to stop my £17.00 a month payment and let them take me to court where I can challenge the enforceability of the original agreement as it has the words ''approved limit'' in the prescribed terms.

What do others think?

Regards

Susan

You want F&F settlement at 18%, they want 75%. Settlement well in excess of 50% would normally be a DCA's bargaining position, unless they have reason to believe you are about to go bankrupt or leave for the Irish Republic.

As for daring them to go to court, that decisive move would be unlikely until the smoke clears imminently in the Enforceability Test Cases in Manchester. If these verdicts were to come out in favour of creditors, they are likely to rush to court roaring gung-ho.

If or in that eventuality the emboldened creditors will be even less likely to settle for a low figure whether for F&F or monthly payment. Why would they when they can be assured of obtaining CCJ, and a court ruling assessed on obligatory I&E details, plus attachment of earnings and charge order on those who own a house? The Test Cases could of course come out the other way. Your call, but good luck.