• Tweets

• Hi. I am reading through the full thread and will continue to research. I have come across a reference to a form called N180 DQ in the thread, but I cannot see any reference to this form in my case nor can I see it on the MoneyClaim website. Should I have been sent this form? Thanks 
    • 12mph (beyond any UK limit) will certainly qualify for a Fixed Penalty. So you should received an offer of a FP for each of the remaining two offences. Be sure to submit your licence details as instructed when you accept the offer. If you don't your £100 will be returned to you and the police will prosecute you in court.
    • and it will be also now written off under age related criteria anyway.
    • @dx100ukThanks for this! I'm still not clear if I'm facing more than 6 points on my license though. Can you explain any further please? When I accept the 2nd speeding ticket, will they just charge me £100 and 3 points, or will they be more severe consequences since that offense took place the following day of the 1st offense? Similarly, when I accept the 3rd offense, will they look at my record or just charge me with the £100 fine and 3 points? @Man in the middleI've been searching the forum and you seem very knowledgeable. Would you mind giving a look at my query please? Thanks in advance!!
    • Yes of course. That's why it says cc:: BIg Motoring World at the bottom. Don't imagine that this solves the issue. It doesn't. He not have to force the finance company and big motoring world to accept the rejection to give your money back. I suggest that you get the letter off tomorrow. And let us know what you hear but on Friday you should then send a threat to the finance company.   Have a look what I have said here about your options and read the whole thread as well.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lombard Car Finance Agreement - enforceable?

russgs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5342 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Apologies but I am hoping someone can give me some guidance.

I have attached a car finance agreement that i took out in March 2007, and i'm curious as to whether it is enforceable or not.

There is no cancellation clause also the terms seem quite restrictive.

I was looking at some articles on the web and on this forum and i'm honestly not 100% sure, so i should be grateful for any advice.

UnEncrypted.pdf

thanks Manny, I spent a good part of last night reading through CCA1974, 2006 amendments and the OFT guidelines on this.

From what I can make out, this agreement either became regulated by virtue of the CCA 2006 amendment (especially as it is not for land, I have not signed any high net worth wavier, not for property etc...).

The other option is that if it does not automatically revert by virtue of CCA 2006, which i think it does, but also if they have made any amendments to it, according to the terms & conditions I have signed for all amendments in advance, then any amendment makes it regulated as per CCA 2006.

Alternatively (and this where i would like a banana eye), the t&cs state "all references to statutes or other regulations will include any re-enactment from time to time" which would suggest that any change in the law regarding this agreement, implies an amendment to this agreement which thus alters this agreement from non-regulated to regulated and thus enabling me to treat this agreement as regulated within CCA1974/2006 and contend its enforceability on that basis!

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Please forgive me for a silly question, but when you say the agreement is not enforcable. Do you mean as in they cannot sue you for failure to keep up with payments and then them taking the cars back and selling them with a large shortfall and expecting it off you?

Thanks

Depends weather Lombard agree that it is unenforcable. They may want to take a chance in court, assuming that they can produce the original, which after reading many posts on this site is not a foregone conclusion. It surprises me how many cases never make it to court.

Thanks for your fast reply.

I am just trying to understand as I have two agreements with Lombard via a company I use as I was renting them out. I struggled to keep up with payments therefore they have now terminated on one of the agreements, and passed onto Link.

They have kindly explained to me that they will take the 2 cars back (1 agreement) and auction them off which the value will be around 13k and yet I owe 23k. I will have to pay the difference and I have only had this agreement for around 9 or 10 months on a 5 year plan so I have not even paid half of it off yet.

I am just trying to understand what my legal rights are as I tried to ring them to make payment plans but they are not willing to entertain as the agreement is terminated.

I might have to do a seperate post to see what the others think...

Thanks again.

How can they take both cars back when they have only terminated one agreement? If you have paid over a third they can not take anything without a court order. Or do you mean you are voulantarily handing them back? If you have a choice I should hang on to them both, make a bit of money from the rental and let them try to win in court. If they do then you may come out ahead, depending on how much the rental produces. There are all sorts of delaying tactics, meanwhile the money keeps coming in. (presumably)

Edited by DeRichleau

Hi DeRichleau,

I got two cars on one agreement as it is a private hire business I run. I doubt very much I have paid over a third. I presume the next step is for them to take me to court to take the vehicles back? They have already appointed Link to collect the vehicles.

Thanks

No if you have not paid a third (on each agreement) they can come and get them,without a court order Sorry. You might be able to stop them by challenging the agreements, or if there are unfair charges get them back, even so I am not sure that it will stop them repossessing. There is another way though, if the registered keeper is for example your business partner then they will probably have to take proceedings for 'wrongfully retaining their property due to undischarged finance' and that may give you a chance to deny there is any undischarged finance because the agreement is unenforcable (assuming that it is unenforcable-but the burden of proof will be with them) Not sure how legal transferring the registered keeper is though,but it's hardly crime of the century if it is to your wife or brother.

Just had a thought. If the cars are registered to your business there may be a different set of rules that come into play. Not sure about that but worth checking out. A business loan is a different animal to a private loan with different terms and conditions. Was the agreement ever signed or was it done on line. I assume you have blocked out the signitures? I agree with manny001 it does not look enforceable.

I am no expert on this type of agreement but I think you will find it is not covered by the CCA 1974 etc.

From reading it briefly it looks to me like a lease agreement with an option to purchase at the end. You have agreed to lease the vehicles for a set term and it looks as if you have agreed to pay for the whole term. You have repudiated the agreement and it is terminated and they want their goods back. A bit like hiring a car for a week except you have agreed to hire it for 5 years and make the payments monthly.

Basically, the difference is that they have not loaned you the money they have loaned you the car.

Once they have collected the goods I expect they will want some money.

Pedross

Hello Pedross,

That probably sounds right, so there looks like I will have to stump up the shortfall eventually. Maybe if I post the agreement on a new post there might be some new angles possible? I will give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help.

I think its a lease purchase agreement, you lease the cars for 5 years and if all of the payments are made you get the option to purchase for say £50 or whatever the agreement says.

I don't know how you would determine who is the registered owner. The DVLA documents refer to the registered keeper as far as I am aware and I think they state that they may not be the actual owner.

I would think that if you read through the agreement word for word it will say clearly who owns the vehicles, how you get to purchase them and what happens if you do not pay. I will be surprised if they need a court order but I do not claim to be anywhere near an expert in that field.

I don't want to be a spoil sport but its best you understand the facts and they will be clear to anyone who reads the documents you have posted. I have had a quick look and I think I am right but I have not had time to study carefully.

Pedross

I have had another glance here is one of the points I was refering to:

You will have no right to terminate this Agreement earlier than on the expiry

of the Period of Hire unless you have exercised your right to become the

owner of the Goods by paying us a sum equal to the Payments on

Termination calculated in accordance with this Agreement.

If the vehicles are in your company name, they will have to sue the company for the wrongful retention of their property. This will take them ages and you can give them all sorts of grief. They will have to come after you seperately for the cash.Not 100% about all of this but it sounds more than likely. Protecting assets is the whole point of a 'Ltd company and I am surprised you opted for personally gauranteeing the payments.

But they are not the assetts of the Ltd Company. The agreement accepted was this:

keep the Goods free from claims by any other person, company or other

authority;

not do anything which may prejudice or interfere with our rights in the

Goods;

make sure that we, or any agent appointed by us, has the right of

immediate access to the Goods at all times if we become entitled to

retake possession of the Goods from you;

make sure that the Goods remain identifiable, accessible and easily

removable;

make sure that we, or any agent appointed by us, has the right to enter

the premises where the Goods may be from time to time to inspect them

within three working days notice to you of our intention to carry out such

an inspection;

Ok fair shout. So it all depends on weather the agreement is properly executed. Is this agreement governed by the CCA? If not we are in alien territory. As far as I can see this agreement says 'waive your rights under Ltd Company Law'. How enforcable or legal is that.

Thanks for everyones comments, it looks like there is a option to purchase for £50 once the hire is finished as said by Nick Pedross...

They would not give the cars unless I signed the personal guarantee at the time. Unfortunately I did not think I would be in this situation until business was hit hard during the start of the recession beginning of this year.

I will have to try and negotiate a suitable payment plan for the shortfall once I hand the cars back... Some 12k I expect :(...

Thanks