• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Problems with my council and rent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yeah, this is a tricky one. The Council will 99% of the time refuse to allow you to move if you have arrears. It is also one of the few valid reasons they have to prevent you from doing an exchange (assignment). So, unless the house burns down, or some other great event, then no you won't be moving anytime soon. But keep paying those payments, because this is not cut and dried by any means, and if they can see a year down the line that you have stuck to the agreement, they might view things more favourably.

However, sometimes social circumstances can mean that a family HAS to move, despite rent arrears. Are you able to tell us why you need to move? What property are you in now and what property do you need and why? Because, there is always in the LA Housing Sector, a social panel or something of that kind. This is comprised of professionals who will hear extraordinary cases of needing to move and decide whether that can happen despite rent arrears. It has to be something very serious really. If you care to post up what the problem is, I'll tell you exactly what the social panel would say! here's an exagerated example for you - no legs, 10th floor, no lift - yes, priority. 10 children, 1 bed flat, yes priority. OAP alone in 4 bed house - yes priority. However, 10 children, 2, 3 or 4 bed house, no priority - too many people in same situation. Depressed by accommodation? No chance! In fear of your life? possible priority if the police say so. So you get the idea!

Also, your LA should allow you onto the transfer list, and if they still use points then you should get your points, its just that if a property comes up for you, you can't have it! But it won't always be like that, so you need to be on that list for a time when you are rent arrears free and can be made an offer. If its the new bidding system, then you should still be able to bid, but they will just keep refusing you, but you should still get on the list, because the length of time you are waiting all counts towards getting somewhere in the end, whether points or bidding.

Post back if you need anymore help, and good luck.

Ok, if you google Housing Act 1985 Section 325 and Section 326 you will get the rules which determine if you are statutorily overcrowded or not. I just tried to cut and paste but it makes the laptop crash.

If you are in a standard three bedroom 1 reception house then yes, currently you are overcrowded under S.325 the room standard. But only by 0.5 of a point. Let me explain, 3 beds, and 1 lounge = 4 points. You and partner get 1 point each. (2) 10 year old gets 1 point (3) 5 and 6 year old 0.5 points each (4) 13 month old 0.5 points (4.5) baby no points until 12 months. Therefore you are .5 of a point short of adequate living space. So, yes, you are statutorily overcrowded. (If you have 2 GF rooms, you are not overcrowded as you are in a 5 point property).

You can also use the Space Standard which is S326 and I'll leave you to run round with the tape measure, its all quite beyond me! I'm both numerically challenged and metrically challenged!

This applies to the permanent members of the family, and bears no relation to those children who you would like to live with you, unless a court orders/or there is an arrangement that your home is to be their permanent residence. If say, it was absolutely imperative that these extra children came to live with you, then that would change things. But this isn't the case just now so you cannot include those children. At least not under the Housing Act.

This is the situation as far as the Housing Law goes, and has been so since about 1935, it hasn't changed. Neither does it mean that you will get quickly rehoused - because put simply, if there is not a 4 bed house available you can't have it - no-one can. I know how difficult it can be to understand that, especially when you are low as you are with all your problems, but I'll do you no favour by telling you any different. Its going to be a long old wait unless you are very lucky.

So what to do next? Well, you are not well, and you need your GP tp provide written evidence of this for you. Your partner is clearly very poorly right now, medically and mentally, so a letter from both the GP AND the crisis team is needed. Your children are being affected at school, so letters from them as well are needed. All of these letters should have a slant about them of getting you rehoused - ie., this is the only way to ensure the emotional welfare of your children., and the future health of you and your partner. You can get Social services involved with regard to the other children, and also CAFCASS through the Court. When they visit, be open and honest about the overcrowding. If they think that the children would be better off with you, they will write to the Housing Dept to tell them so and the Council have to take heed of this.

Once you have collected all of these, copy them, and then write to your Housing Officer again and ask her to get you referred to the Social Panel. This may be called something else where you are, but it does exist. There will always be families who cannot be placed within the usual bidding/pointing system, there will always be unforseen emergencies involving housing, therefore they have these panels. Most of the professionals who will write to support you probably sit on the panel themselves and vote. I do regularly and in this case I would vote to give you priority.

I can only advise you as your HO probably will, if there is not a 4 bed house available, nothing and nobody can help you and that is it. Also that there will be other families in equally dire situations, all waiting for that elusive 4 bed property. Its a hard fact of life, there is not enough social housing to go around. So, however difficult it is for all of you, this is what you have to live with currently and all that you can do until that property does become available some time in the future is try and make the most of it. Sometimes, however much your HO wants to help you, they can't. The best she can do is present a very good case for you at a social panel and get you priority.

Anyway, I hope this all works out for you, you have a good case, but sadly there is a severe shortage of housing everywhere.

Post back if you need anymore help.

• Haha 1

Go one better, write to Gordon Brown as well - I did over my mum's HB as I was furious at the Council, I got a reply back, an enquiry was made, and the problem magically disappeared! Ok, I know he only passed it to a minion in a very low office, but hey, it did the trick! You could also google the TSA (Tenant Services Authority) and give them a nudge, and never forget Shelter, they are very good. But you know, your HO might be very good too, so only use these things if she doesnt come up with the goods.

I'll bet you a pound to a dollar that those last two allocations both have medical reasons for the 4th bedroom, because otherwise they'd have got three's only. I expect one or other of the children in each family have something like ADHD which means they have to have their own room for time out/destruction purposes.

I once had an elderly lodger who just wasnt getting anywhere for a permanent council place. He kept ringing up the Council and abusing them. I suggested that he just backed off and waited - low and behold, without any further aggravation from him, he received an offer for a lovely flat, right where he wanted to be. I did tell him at the time that good things come to he who waits and its true.

Not suggesting that you have pushed and belly ached at all, but don't feel bad because you missed out this time, its only because there's something better for you out there, and it will come.

Fingers crossed, get on to those people who can support your cause, and push for a social panel hearing. Keep posting back as and when.