• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I've CCA Littlewoods how long have they got to reply?

ccjjl82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent request for SAR and CCA to Littlewoods, and they signed for my letter 3rd April. I recieved a letter today confirming my SAR and they will contact me soon, but no mention of CCA even though it was in the same letter I sent and the cheques were in the same envelope:confused:

How long do they have for SAR?

And when do they go into default for the CCA. And what do I do then?

Many thanks.

They have until the 23rd April to respond to your CCA request (12 working days after receiving your letter). They have had slightly more time than normal due to bank holidays. If you have no response by then, you can put the account into dispute.

The dispute letter you send depends upon what they respond with. If you post back here on the 23rd then you will get the information and letter you need :)

As for the SAR - they have 40 days from date of receipt (including non-working days) so I would say they have until the 14th May.

Thanks clemma, will post back tomorrow then. They sent me a letter today though saying thanks for my letter recieved 16th April (they signed for it on the 3rd:rolleyes:) they are looking into my complaint. And they didnt spell my name right!

c

I should have heard of them yesterday. 12+2 days are up so that means they have gone into default, doesnt it?

Should I send them a letter? Or just wait till it becomes an offense?

Thanks

c

You can send them the following letter. Remember PRINT do not sign and send recorded delivery.

Dear Sir/Madam

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

You have failed to respond to my legal request to supply me a true copy of the original Consumer Credit Agreement for the above account.

On **DATE** I made a formal request for a true signed agreement for the alleged account under consumer credit Act 1974 s77/8. A copy of which is enclosed for your perusal and ease of reference.

You have failed to comply with my request, and as such the account is now in default as of **DATE**.(12+2 days after you sent the CCA request)

The document that you are obliged to send me is a true copy of the executed agreement that contained all of the prescribed terms, all other required terms and statutory notices and was signed by both your company and myself as defined in section 61(1) of CCA 74 and subsequent Statutory Instruments. If the executed agreement contained any reference to any other document, you are also obliged to send me a copy of that document.In addition a full statement of this account should have been sent to me detailing all debits and credits to the account.

Furthermore;

You are aware that the Consumer Credit Act allows 12 working days for a request for a true copy of a credit agreement to be carried out before your client enters into a default situation. This limit has expired

As you are no doubt aware section 78(6) states:

If the creditor fails to comply with Subsection (1)(a) He is not entitled , while the default continues, to enforce the agreement.Therefore this account has become unenforceable at law.

As you have Failed to comply with a lawful request for a true, signed copy of the said agreement and other relevant documents mentioned in it, Failed to send a full statement of the account and Failed to provide any of the documentation requested. Consequentially any legal action you pursue will be averred as both UNLAWFUL and VEXATIOUS. Furthermore I shall counterclaim that any such action constitutes unlawful harassment.

Please note you may also consider this letter as a statutory notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act to cease processing any data in relation to this account with immediate effect. This means you must remove all information regarding this account from your own internal records and from my records with any credit reference agencies.

Should you refuse to comply, you must within 21 days provide me with a detailed breakdown of your reasoning behind continuing to process my data. It is not sufficient to simply state that you have a ‘legal right’; You must outline your reasoning in this matter and state upon which legislation this reasoning depends. Should you not respond within 14 days I expect that this means you agree to remove all such data.

Furthermore you should be aware that a creditor is not permitted to take ANY action against an account whilst it remains in dispute.

The lack of a credit agreement is a very clear dispute and as such the following applies.

* You may not demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.

* You may not add further interest or any charges to the account.

* You may not pass the account to a third party.

* You may not register any information in respect of the account with any credit reference agency.

* You may not issue a default notice related to the account.

I reserve the right to report your actions to any such regulatory authorities as I see fit. You have 14 days from receiving this letter to contact me with your intentions to resolve this matter which is now a formal complaint. I therefore request a copy of your official complaints procedure which you are obliged to supply.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing.

Yours faithfully,

Thanks clemma I appreciate your help.

Thats now printed and in its envelope ready to go off tomorrow (I'm a bit eager ;))

Also included in there a print off of their signature for delivery of my request letter :-D

Lets sit back now and wait.

c

I sent request for SAR and CCA to Littlewoods, and they signed for my letter 3rd April. I recieved a letter today confirming my SAR and they will contact me soon, but no mention of CCA even though it was in the same letter I sent and the cheques were in the same envelope:confused:

How long do they have for SAR?

And when do they go into default for the CCA. And what do I do then?

Many thanks.

Did you make it clear in your letter that it was two separate and distinct requests, i.e. one for the CCA with a fee of £1.00 plus a second for SAR with a fee of £10.00??

The second request (SAR) should ideally have been addressed to the Data Controller.

If you did make it clear this was two requests in one then yes the deadline for the CCA has passed and you can put them to dispute.

But I really wouldn't have done it that way, I would have sent two letters.

They could claim they were confused.

PS: Is this for a catalogue agreement, if so when did you take out the account??

Did you make it clear in your letter that it was two separate and distinct requests, i.e. one for the CCA with a fee of £1.00 plus a second for SAR with a fee of £10.00??

The second request (SAR) should ideally have been addressed to the Data Controller.

If you did make it clear this was two requests in one then yes the deadline for the CCA has passed and you can put them to dispute.

But I really wouldn't have done it that way, I would have sent two letters.

They could claim they were confused.

PS: Is this for a catalogue agreement, if so when did you take out the account??

Hi basa, yes I did make it clear. Explained I would like copy of agreement therefore attached £1 fee to be used solely for this, the same for the SAR. I even stated at the bottom of the letter enclosed £10 cheque for SAR, £1 cheque for Credit Agreement.

Yes this is for a catalogue. I took it out back in 2002 I think, they have already told me they werent regulated by fsa back then. Have asked who they were regulated by if this would make any difference. Do you want me to post a copy of the original letter up (you have me thinking I have got it wrong now!:D)

Hi basa, yes I did make it clear. Explained I would like copy of agreement therefore attached £1 fee to be used solely for this, the same for the SAR. I even stated at the bottom of the letter enclosed £10 cheque for SAR, £1 cheque for Credit Agreement.

Yes this is for a catalogue. I took it out back in 2002 I think, they have already told me they werent regulated by fsa back then. Have asked who they were regulated by if this would make any difference. Do you want me to post a copy of the original letter up (you have me thinking I have got it wrong now!:D)

All credit agreements (and a catalogue is one) are regulated by the CCA 1974 and CCRegs 1983. The FSA is irrelevant.

It is fairly well accepted that catalogues didn't send out 'agreements' as such.

My OH has had (did have ;) ) a Littlewoods account and admitted they didn't have an agreement. They have agreed to not pursue the debt and not default us.

Chances are you are in the same boat.

After looking on here, basa, I have seen a lot of people who have had unenforceable 'agreements' with Littlewoods (or basically no agreement produced). I think I may be joining them! Really all I wanted was my insurance premiums back that was wrongfully added to my account, but they didnt want to play ball :rolleyes:, so looks like we will have to go down this way instead.

Hi

sorry to hijack someone else's thread but can't find how to start a new one! :)

My query is similar to the main one in that I intend to dispute a Littlewoods account. The account was first opened in 2006 (ish) in my husbands name. A credit agreement was never signed.

Some time later my husband and I split up but I continued to use the account and make the requested payments. I emailed littlewoods to tell them that i would take over the payments and they replied saying they would need official contact from my husband to change the account into my name. This was never done as I have no contact with him. I have continued to use the account as well as make regular payments and no payment has ever been missed.

My question is whether the debt is enforceable - I have wondered whether the signing for goods constitutes acceptance of the debt.

Hope someone can give me some advice

Thank you

Janie

Hi

sorry to hijack someone else's thread but can't find how to start a new one! :)

My query is similar to the main one in that I intend to dispute a Littlewoods account. The account was first opened in 2006 (ish) in my husbands name. A credit agreement was never signed.

Some time later my husband and I split up but I continued to use the account and make the requested payments. I emailed littlewoods to tell them that i would take over the payments and they replied saying they would need official contact from my husband to change the account into my name. This was never done as I have no contact with him. I have continued to use the account as well as make regular payments and no payment has ever been missed.

My question is whether the debt is enforceable - I have wondered whether the signing for goods constitutes acceptance of the debt.

Hope someone can give me some advice

Thank you

Janie

If the account is in your (ex) husband's name, why are you continuing to service it?

In any case if no agreement was signed, again, why are you paying it?

Signing for receipt of goods only confirms receipt of goods, not that there is an agreement.

Stop paying, there is nothing Littlewoods can do. If you were really mean you could possibly order goods and not pay, saying you understood as it is your husbands account he would pay!!!

Incidentally only your husband could ask for the agreement anyway!

john4janie, I agree with basa. Its not in your name, if there is an agreement, so you cant be responsible for the debt.

quick update, Littlewoods cashed in both cheques for CCA and SAR yesterday, which is 2 weeks after they should have had my cca sent to me. Oh well, just another 16 days before it becomes a criminal offence :D

tick tock.

c

Sorry the 'criminal offence' after 30 days was repealed a while ago. :sad:

Oh, I didnt know!:roll: Thanks for letting me know.

Time for an update anyway;

recieved my SAR, and I can only just make some sense of it. There was only statements going back 6 years but I guess that because they hold info for 6 yrs.

And there was no cca or any type of agreement in there.

I asked for a recording of me agreeing to their insurance and they said they only started recording calls March 2007 :???:(I joined April 2001).

Looking at the charges page, there is an insurance sale on a certain date, followed by an insurance upgrade both made by telephone. However on the statements there was no order placed on these dates. Which further backs up my case, because that means they would have actually phoned me up just to sell this insurance on two occasions. And I am sure I would have remembered this!

I dont know what step to take next. I have sent the letter regarding no CCA recieved therefore I acknowledge no debt, which they have recieved. It was even in my SAR noted that they had recieved fee for CCA. Do I just leave them to it now?

Now you've written saying you dispute the debt because there is no signed credit agreement, you should just sit back and wait.

I anticipate they will write (eventually) to say they can't find an agreement (because there isn't one!! duh) and won't pursue it any more.

Edit: I should really learn to read!!!

You should send off a letter saying you dispute the account and do not acknowledge any debt because there is no properly executed credit agreement.

Say also you are not obliged to pay and they should not pursue or pass on the debt, or record defaults.

Ask them to either produce a valid agreement or write the debt off.

There are standard 'dispute' letters around.

Make it reasonably short, but include all the relevant points.

Edited by basa48
can't read so added bits after 'edit' !

Thanks Basa, yes I have sent them a letter stating that. But I have just checked online and it still hasnt been delivered!:eek: I sent it 2 weeks ago! Royal Mail for you. I will chase that up, and probally send it again. Either way I aint paying them a penny!:grin:

Royal Mail have 'lost' my letter :-x What do I pay the postage for? So I have printed another one to send off.

Meanwhile I recieved a letter off Shop Direct yesterday just saying that they have already told me I cant have my premiums back (we'll see;)) and enclosed a copy of the terms and conditions of the CURRENT insurance they have as they no longer have copies of the original one that I asked for that was wrongfully 'applied' to my account.

They have answered my question of who regulated them back in 2001 and its the Finance and Leasing Organisation. Does anyone know anything about them, and if this info can work to my advantage?

And again they have stated they recieved my request for a CCA, on a letter dated 13th may, 20 DAYS after they should have had it to me :rolleyes: ah well!

Thought I would have had a bombardment of phone calls off them as I havent paid them a penny for 2 months!

Littlewoods have recently advised me that they will not be enforcing my two accounts with them as they cannot locate a copy of the agreement, but they would not write it off (yet). I have had no more phone calls or letters from them since :), It did take a few letters though.

I have a feeling my case may go the right way. There was no agreement in the SAR. Sending a new CCA today. Hopefully Royal Mail wont lose this letter:rolleyes:

I thought you said Littlewoods had confirmed in writing they had received your CCA request?

Are they hassling you for payments, if not relax.

The letter admitting they have no agreement and cannot enforce will arrive soon I think. How long has it been? The usual period is around 8 weeks.

I thought you said Littlewoods had confirmed in writing they had received your CCA request?

Are they hassling you for payments, if not relax.

The letter admitting they have no agreement and cannot enforce will arrive soon I think. How long has it been? The usual period is around 8 weeks.

Yes sorry Basa, I meant I will send another letter saying I acknowledge no debt as I havent recieved my agreement. Confusing myself! Since they actually recieved my CCA request it has been 7 weeks, in default for 26 days, so hopefully I should expect it with in a week or 2!

I've now had a DN from Littlewoods despite them writing to me earlier admitting they have no signed agreement and saying they would cease processing subject info to outside agencies!!

PoC is in preparation, but I can't find case law for damages for default.

I also need to know what the team thinks of reclaiming interest charges as they are contractual? Can I add interest to monies they have taken in interest?