• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ICO reply re CCA

Below is the reply I have received from ICO re Cap 1 I already have put in a complaint with OFT but just wondered what anyone though of this, it states in the last paragraph they dont have to supply the original agreement only terms and conditions which goes against what I have read on here. Can anyone clarify please

Thank you for your enquiry dated 4 March 2009 regarding the processing of your personal information.

As I understand it, you have made numerous requests to Capital One for a true copy of your credit agreement.

The Information Commissioner’s office advises on and enforces the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA). The DPA has eight principles of ‘good information handling’. These give people specific rights in relation to their personal information and put certain obligations on those organisations that are responsible for processing it.

One of the rights that the DPA gives people is the right of ‘Subject Access’. The right of Subject Access means that an individual can make a request under section 7 of the DPA to any organisation processing their personal data (the Act calls such organisations ‘Data Controllers’), asking to be supplied with copies of that data.

However, I understand from your correspondence that you have requested a copy of your credit agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (“CCA”) from the above company and you are dissatisfied with their / have not yet received a response. The Information Commissioner’s Office regulates and enforces the Data Protection Act 1998, amongst other legislation, and we have no involvement in regulating this aspect of the CCA. The CCA is regulated by the Office of Fair Trading. As such, the matter you have raised is not within our remit; however you may find the information below useful.

You explained on your form that the above company has not supplied you with a copy of your credit agreement. For your information, sections 77 and 78 of the CCA stipulate that the creditor, within 12 working days after receiving a request in writing from the debtor and payment of the appropriate fee, shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement. The Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (“CNCD Regulations”) specify that every copy of an executed agreement, security instrument or other copy referred to in the CCA and delivered or sent to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act shall be a true copy thereof. However, it is well established that a “true copy” is not an exact copy.

Therefore there is no requirement for the company to send you a copy of the original agreement. They may simply send you a copy of the terms and conditions of the agreement. Further to this, sections 77 and 78 of the CCA do not apply once the agreement has ended; therefore a creditor does not have to supply you with a copy of the agreement if the credit has been repaid

For further information you can contact the Office of Fair Trading on 08457 22 44 99 or at www.oft.gov.uk.

I fail to see how it does not come under there remit if they have not supplied what was requested under the Data Protection Act 1998

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

Therefore there is no requirement for the company to send you a copy of the original agreement. They may simply send you a copy of the terms and conditions of the agreement. Further to this, sections 77 and 78 of the CCA do not apply once the agreement has ended; therefore a creditor does not have to supply you with a copy of the agreement if the credit has been repaid

By what they have said above they have ended the agreement.

Are they still chasing you for payment?

I fail to see how it does not come under there remit if they have not supplied what was requested under the Data Protection Act 1998

PF

I believe the request was made under CCA and hence, does not fall under the jurisdiction of the Information Commissioners Office, PF.

Now if Holley had submitted a SAR under the DPA then it would be down to them to investigate any short comings.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

I havent terminated the account and I dont believe they have, I havent heard anything from them for a week which is unheard of! I think I may well apply for a SAR as I havent up till now

Thanks folks

Been thinking (well worrying) about this have read the posts and they have been helpful but I just wondered if all the letters have been a waste of time seeing as they only need to supply terms and conditions which they have done to me and a lot of other people on this site. I have put in an account in dispute letter and havent paid them for about 4 months they have continued to put on charges and interest. So legally what happens now?

Holley...have you previously received a default notcie from them? If so, then post it up with you personal details blanked out.

They have to issue a DN before they can terminate.

Won't confuse you with anymore info until you reply!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

It looks as if the OFT have got the wrong end of the stick by thinking the agreement has ended, i.e the account has been paid. If that was the case then the creditor does not have to provide a CCA.

Whilst a creditor or DCA is still chasing a debt they have to comply with a CCA request, if they refuse send the 'in dispute' letter #11 The Consumer Forums - Debt collectors

I have not had a Default notice, nor have I had a letter stating the account is terminated I have just had letters stating the full amount due and the overdue amount.

PF

The original poster didn't apply under the DPA but under the CCA so the ICO can do nothing about it

Edit:- Sorry, didn't see the post from Welshmam

Edit:- Sorry, didn't see the post from Welshmam

No worries!! :D

I have not had a Default notice, nor have I had a letter stating the account is terminated I have just had letters stating the full amount due and the overdue amount.

There is something wrong here Holley.

They need to issue a default notice and in this they will state what action they intend taking if you don't pay such as terminating the account and demanding the full amount outstanding.

If you can't recall receiving this then I would write back to them asking if they will supply you with a copy of the DN.

Is the letter you have received headed with;

IMPORTANT - YOU SHOULD READ THIS CAREFULLY

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More