• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Courtleigh,Baltic Pine,Conservatory Basics CCJ.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5426 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In Jan 2006 Baltic Pine got a c.c.j against me and I was instructed by the court all I could pay was £1.00 a month (which was what I was paying in DMP anyway)

I carried on paying the CCJ but some time later was informed that Conservatory Basics had taken over Baltic Pine and could I make out my £1.00 postal order to them instead, which I did religiously. A couple of months ago, the post office returned my letter and postal order with some note to the affect not known at this address. May have been a Post Office mistake though. I stopped sending the one pound in case they had gone bankrupt or something. My query is this, can I insist on any documentation that Conservatory Basics can collect on Baltic Pine CCJ debts?

I received this letter today.

Courtleigh Debt Collection services.

Dear Overdone,

Re: Monthly County Court Judgement Payment to Baltic Pine

Conservatories LTD.

This is to advise you that your debt has now been passed to Courtleigh Debt Collection Services for collection.

It appears that Conservatory Basics Ltd have not received your £1.00 monthly payments for January and February and your payment for March will become due shortly, can I therefore ask that you forward these payments as soon as possible.

Should you wish to discuss the contents of this letter, please call xxxxx xxxxxx office hours are as follows:

Monday to Thursday 9.am - 8.am Friday 9am - 5.30pm Saturday 10am-1pm

Yours sincerely

J Dorrian

C D C Services

Edited by overdone
typo

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

• 1 month later...

Overdone,

Baltic Pine Conservatories Ltd. went bust in Autumn 2006 owing staff and suppliers monies. The whole factory in Penzance was sold off at auction!

See this snippet from a local MP:-

Baltic Pine Closure - Jobs Blow (Julia Goldsworthy )

CONSERVATORY BASICS LIMITED are based in an OFFICE block (I know it well) at Top Floor Courtleigh House, 74-75 Lemon Street, TRURO TR1 2PN.

Note that building name 'Courtleigh! Was it not Courtleigh Debt Collection Services who say you need to pay Conservatory Basics limited.

I would check out the names of Directors of Baltic Pine, Conservatory Basics and Courtleigh Debt Collection Services on the Companies House WebCheck service. Also worth finding out from the Receivers of Baltic Pine (GRANT THORNTON UK LLP, 11-13 PENHILL ROAD, CARDIFF CF11 9UP) as to what is happening. I always thought that any debts to a Limited Company had to be paid to the Administartors/Official Receivers?????

The Director of Baltic Pine sold out one of his finance companies to GE Money a few years back, say no more!

See this Wiki page that I just found:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Murtagh

Edited by Helford
I always thought... note added

I found one of the letters, the first by all accounts.

9 May 2007

Baltic Conservatories Ltd (in administration)

You entered into a contract dated 4 April 2003 with Baltic Conservatories for the supply (and Installation) of a timber conservatory. As you will be aware Baltic Conservatories went into administration on 4th October 2006 and is no longer trading.

Conservatory Basics LTD has entered in to a contract with Grant Thornton who are dealing with the administration of Baltic Conservatories Ltd, to recover monies outstanding. To date this has to be repaid in full.

Bal outstanding £876

Please forward payment within the next 7 days to clear the outstanding balance.

All payments are to be made payable to "Conservatory Basics Ltd Collections" and send to the address below.

Please be advised that failure to make payment will result in further legal action, which will incur further costs to you.

If you would like to discuss your account please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Yours sincerely

Miss C Mason

Litigation Officer

Who sent this letter, Grant Thornton or the Court?

H

neither of them and I just noticed the address at the bottom of the letter,

Conservatory Basics Ltd

Brinkworth House

Swindon

Wiltshire

SN15 5DF

and also just noticed, damn cheek, only a mobile phone number +44 (0)7725 308170

Found more recent letter too.

Courtleigh

Debt Collection Services.

13 March 2009

Dear Overdone,

Re: Monthly County Court Judgement Payment to Baltic Pine Conservatories Ltd

This is to advise you that your debt has now been passed to Courtleigh Debt Collection Services for collection.

It appears that Conservatory Basics Ltd have not received your £1.00 monthly payments for January and February and your payment for March will become due shortly,can I therefore ask that you forward these payments as soon as possible.

Should you wish to discuss the contents of this letter, please call 01872 227041, office hours are as follows:

Yours sincerely

J Dorrian

Courtleigh Debt Collection Services

3rd floor, Courtleigh House, 74 75 Lemon Street, Truro, Cornwall.

I am confused - I would do a google search for Grant Thornton and contact their main switchboard or write to them at their head office and ask them to confirm that they are administrators for Baltic Conservatories and ask them to tell you what has happened to the Company.

I would then at the same time write to Courtleigh and ask them to explain on what basis they assert that Conservatory Basics has a right to collect a judgment in respect of Baltic conservatories

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

12 May 2009

Courtleigh Debt Collection Services,

3rd Floor,

Courtleigh House,

74-75 Lemon Street,

Truro,

Cornwall,

TR1 2PN

Dear Sirs,

Claim No: C.C.J xxxxxxxxxxx

In a letter from Conservatory Basics Ltd, dated 9 May 2007 it is asserted Conservatory Basics Ltd entered into a contract with Grant Thornton who are dealing with the administration of Baltic Conservatories Ltd.

I have not been authorised by Grant Thornton to pay you monies owing to Basic Conservatories Ltd and have only your word for it.

On what basis do you assert that Conservatory Basics Ltd, has a right to collect a judgement in respect of Baltic Conservatories Ltd?

Please note my new address to which I await your early reply.

Yours faithfully,

Overdone

It would seem that Conservatory Bascs Ltd bought the debt book of Baltic Conservatories off Grant Thornton which is fairly common practice in these situtaions. You need to get confirmation from Grant Thornton of this though

If I were you I would phone Grant Thornton

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

• 2 months later...

another thing came to light. On inspecting my credit files I found the ccj is listed. There is no account history and no default recorded. Insufficient default practice is a good reason to have a ccj set aside but how do I prove there was no Default Notice issued?