• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Log Book Questions & Answers

Guest Log Book Loans Employee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am happy to answer genuine questions, and vexatious or silly comments will be ignored, and you will be talking/typing to yourself

Hi, and welcome to CAG.

It is always good to have views from people within companies, and it may also help you to understand where our members are coming from as well. Hopefully members will be courteous and accept that you are here to answer genuine questions.

Obviously, by the very nature of the topic some strong opinions may be forthcoming. However should any posts breach site rules they will be dealt with accordingly, and we ask that they be reported to the Site Team.

Site Admin

Thank you to the management.

Indeed its always good to show customers and members of public who view these sites our version of events.

All answers will be unbiased and fair to both the customer and Company.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Ok then, genuine question, if a client of lbl got themselves into the situation that they could no longer afford the repayments would lbl be prepared to allow client to find a buyer and be paid the debt in full leaving client any left over money rather than it going to auction and possibly raising less money?

Hi there

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions on LBL. My question is, if you pay the loan off, and have a figure left due to missed payments, can you dispute this, as letters come from LBL saying, loan now overdue (due to charges added at the end) and needs paying immediately or risk car reposession. Is this really possible? I would like to dispute the figure, but as a mother of three with another on the way, I cannot afford to lose my only means of transport. I want to get my keys back and put the loan behind me, but with still a large figure hanging over my head I dont know how this will be possible? I have asked LBL for a full breakdown of the charges as I wanted to seek advice from CAB but they have said they cannot break down what each £12.00 charge is actually for.

Your advise would be really aprreciated.

Hi Shammy

Sorry bit late, there should be no problem if the loan is paid off, if their are charges then query them, generally if the loan is paid of their should not be a prob, however what kind of figure are we talking about?

If the amount is quite large which it should not be, then certainly query it, as they are being refunded at the moment, because of you are a potential returning customer, unlikely! lol.

Let me know if there is anything else.

Bp, shame on you lol

Thank LBL Employee, the charges are over 600 pounds, and do seem a little unfair. Will see what we can do - although others have advise I pay them so that I can get my documentation back first before asking for the claims back. It does seem sound to do this, as reading others stories on here, I dont want to lose my car over the charges, as it would mean having to give up my night job etc and so reducing our family income, which wouldnt be a favourable option.

Shammy

hi

I have approx £150 left of my loan with logbook,but have been advised I have £612 of default charges, I made a debit card payment last week and was advised on 16th march a letter will be sent advising £290 needs to be paid to prevent further action (taking of car). I have already sent letter 1 asking for them to waiver the charges, yesterday I sent letter 2 advising if they do not waiver the charges I will have no reservations to persue this via the online small claims route, They advise the charges are to cover staff costs and building costs and extra man hours to advise of missed payments, I responded to that claim that the very high interest rate already compensates them more than enough for such costs. I have also swapped my car with a relative just incase. Once I have cleared the loan balance next week I will be requesting my logbook and for the matter to be closed, will LBL still try to enforce the bill of sale and try to seek possession of my car

thanks for any advice on how to play this out

Call me a cynic, but this call for LBL Q&A's seems to be very one-sided - all that seems to be happening is they're getting more info out of people, offering no real advice or insight on this board (or, indeed, explanation for all these people evidently saddled with hundreds of pounds of charges at the time of expected conclusion of their loans) with any 'meat' promised on PM's.

What SHOULD be happening is they (LBL the company) should be seeking to arrest what appears to be wholescale issues with their business by nominating an identified spokesperson on a special customer care line and not just posting glib responses at 1 in the morning on here.

All that's happening is yet another clear example of the company treating their customer base with patronising contempt and no attempt being made to explain or justify the actions of themselves and their agents.

"lol" stands for laugh-out-loud, and you best believe that's exactly what they are doing.....

Edited by Fleeced73

it may be just me, but there seems to be a lot of us LBL customers with a big coincidence of us all aparantley owing £600 give or take a few pounds, nearly every customer blog i have read about the default charges from LBL all seem to be near enough the same amount, I find that quite odd in itself as all the loans are different amounts over different lengths of time....but always £600 ???????????????????????????????????????

Yes, mine was just below the £600 mark too - but I did claim it all back

I must admit, I'm a little alarmed/concerned at some of the OPs posts.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

It is Interesting that the LBL employee has not responded to anymore posts since the 13th March 09.

On the 13th March 09 the LBL Company (Nine Regions Ltd) were minded that the OFT seeks to revoke their credit licence.

They have 21 days in which to make representation.

No doubt he will be busy copying and pasting the 'postings' regarding his registration on this forum and getting them in front of the Adjudificator to assist them with their plea for keeping their licence.

I find it appalling - I fear this will not be the only forum that he will have sought to be seen to be 'oh, so cutomer facing/caring'....

Or could it be, that he accepts that it may be, that he will no longer be working for LBL's as and if they lose their credit licence and sought a more respecful career?

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]

It is Interesting that the LBL employee has not responded to anymore posts since the 13th March 09.

On the 13th March 09 the LBL Company (Nine Regions Ltd) were minded that the OFT seeks to revoke their credit licence.

They have 21 days in which to make representation.

No doubt he will be busy copying and pasting the 'postings' regarding his registration on this forum and getting them in front of the Adjudificator to assist them with their plea for keeping their licence.

I find it appalling - I fear this will not be the only forum that he will have sought to be seen to be 'oh, so cutomer facing/caring'....

Or could it be, that he accepts that it may be, that he will no longer be working for LBL's as and if they lose their credit licence and sought a more respecful career?

Also has it never crossed anyones mind that anyone can create an account and call themselves whatever, the fact that as has been previously mentioned, to join and gather enough information on here in order to help themselves, not good and I for one have nothing to say to the op that my solicitor can not say before a judge and what I have also forwarded to OFT....I think the way LBL operate is underhand and his/hers postings offer no real advice/support for the customer so then the question is why did they join?

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

I've just been scouting the OFT Website again and I found this interesting fact that may help those that are visited by Companies who call out to collect the debt or the vehicle on behalf of log book loan or other Companies in the capacity of 'debt collector'

UNLICENSED TRADING

"IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE TO CARRY OUT ANY ACTIVITY THAT REQUIRES A CONSUMER CREDIT LICENCE BEFORE A LICENCE HAS BEEN ISSUED TO YOU.

EVEN IF YOU HAVE A LICENCE, IT IS AN OFFENCE TO CARRY OUT ANY LICENSABLE ACTIVITIES THAT ARE NOT COVERED BY THAT LICENCE

UNLICENSED TRADING IS PUNISHABLE BY A FINE, IMPRISONMENT, OR BOTH

IN ADDITION, IF ANY OF YOUR CUSTOMERS WERE TO DEFAULT ON A PAYMENT, YOU SOULD NOT BE ABLE TO ENFORCE A CREDIT AGREEMENT THAT YOU HAD MADE WHILE UNLICENSED, OR WHERE AN UNLICENSED CREDIT BROKER WAS INVOLVED.

AN AGREEMENT FOR THE SERVICES OF A CREDIT BROKER, DEBT COLLECTOR, (such as Anglican uk ETC), DEBT ADJUSTER, DEBT COUNSELLOR,, DEBT ADMINISTRATOR, CREDIT REFERNCE AGENCY OR PROVIDER OF CREDIT INFORMATION SERVICES CANNOT BE ENFORCED IF THE AGREEMENT WAS ENTERED INTO WHEN THE BUSINESS WAS UNLICENSED.

ALSO - Note the following:

"YOUR LICENCE WILL BE ISSUED IN THE NAME OF YOUR PARTNERSHIP, LIMITED COMPANY OR OTHER TYPE OF ORGANISATION (such as a charity)

IF YOU ARE A SOLE TRADER, YOUR LICENCE WILL BE ISSUED IN YOUR OWN NAME.

IF YOU ALSO CONDUCT LICENSABLE BUSINESS UNDER ANY OTHER TRADING NAME(S), YOU MUST APPLY FOR THE NAME(S) TO BE INCLUDED ON YOUR LICENCES.

IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE TO CARRY OUT ANY ACTIVIYT THAT REQUIRES A CONSUMER CREDIT LICENCE UNDER A NAME THAT IS NOT ON YOUR LICENCE. "

IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE TO CARRY OUT ANY ACTIVITY THAT REQUIRES A CONSUMER CREDIT LICENCE UNDER A NAME THAT IS NOT ON YOUR LICENCE.

It could be argued under this regulation that it essentially means that as Log Book Loans license does not show the name of Anglian UK Ltd or Gemini or any other Debt Collection organisation that may have visited you - if these Companies do not have a license in their own right - then they AND LBL are committing an offence, for which they can be arrested. The debt collection Company MUST have a license in their own name to collect money or carry out any enforcement action on behalf of LBL's. Debt Collectors licenses are issued as a Catergory 'F' as LBL's licence does not cover them due to the fact they are not mentioned in LBL licence.

I hope this 'research' can help anybody who may have been confused by LBL's regarding enforcing a debt in default.

Licence Details of log book loans.txt

[COLOR="red"][B][CENTER]"Errors do not cease to be errors simply because they’re ratified into law.” [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR][B][CENTER] E.A. Bucchianeri[/CENTER][/B]