• Tweets

• Hi. I am reading through the full thread and will continue to research. I have come across a reference to a form called N180 DQ in the thread, but I cannot see any reference to this form in my case nor can I see it on the MoneyClaim website. Should I have been sent this form? Thanks 
    • 12mph (beyond any UK limit) will certainly qualify for a Fixed Penalty. So you should received an offer of a FP for each of the remaining two offences. Be sure to submit your licence details as instructed when you accept the offer. If you don't your £100 will be returned to you and the police will prosecute you in court.
    • and it will be also now written off under age related criteria anyway.
    • @dx100ukThanks for this! I'm still not clear if I'm facing more than 6 points on my license though. Can you explain any further please? When I accept the 2nd speeding ticket, will they just charge me £100 and 3 points, or will they be more severe consequences since that offense took place the following day of the 1st offense? Similarly, when I accept the 3rd offense, will they look at my record or just charge me with the £100 fine and 3 points? @Man in the middleI've been searching the forum and you seem very knowledgeable. Would you mind giving a look at my query please? Thanks in advance!!
    • Yes of course. That's why it says cc:: BIg Motoring World at the bottom. Don't imagine that this solves the issue. It doesn't. He not have to force the finance company and big motoring world to accept the rejection to give your money back. I suggest that you get the letter off tomorrow. And let us know what you hear but on Friday you should then send a threat to the finance company.   Have a look what I have said here about your options and read the whole thread as well.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

NCP £200 PCCN for Damage to Car Park Equipment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone.

I have received a £200 Notice of Car Park Contravention from NCP. "It was recorded by CCTV camera that the above vehicle was involved in the following Contravention: Damage to Car Park Equipment."

Note: car park is in Scotland as am I, in case that makes any legal difference.

By way of background: on more than one day the exit barrier was broken - it wouldn't rise - so each and every driver (including me) had to get out, lift the barrier, and drive away - whereupon the barrier returned to its normal position, or in some cases flopped to the ground. I observed this several times from the pay point, as well as from the exit queue of course. When I lifted the barrier, I did not use excessive force - I wasn't in a rage or anything.

But my guess is that NCP have had to repair the clapped-out barrier so have sent these PCCNs to all cars using that car park over several days, in the hope that a few will cough up and cover the repair costs. (Scoundrels.)

Having browsed several threads there, I haven't found any exactly relevant - and feel the "damage" element makes this a little more worrying than "just" parking fines.

Does anyone have experience of Scottish police stopping drivers because of information from NCP and others (like, I read here, appears to have happened in Manchester)?

Do NCP, or others, act differently in such Damage cases? Conversely, should I either follow the standard template sequence, or do nothing; or act differently

in this case?

I will find it difficult to relax and do nothing ...

Thanks in anticipation of any advice!

Regards

earwig

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask them for CCTV footage of the alleged offence and for footage for the period prior to the offence (showing others doing the same). Don't admit you were the driver yet. Ask them for evidence of damage repair and for how much they have claimed from other people. Consider stating something bland like without accepting any fault you may consider a contribution to damage offset by a contribution from them for the inconvenience caused.

Likely you'll get a template letter rejecting your appeal which means that you can sit back and relax, ignoring all future letters as in the unlikely event they later change their minds and go to court you can show that from the outset you were looking to discuss the issue.

They seem to be asking the vehicle for the £200, which is impressive considering the vehicle has no money and didn't even touch the barrier.

It's a basic letter asking to reimbursement for the apparent damage, but doesn't even explain how they came up with the figure. It could cost £100 for a new barrier for example - what proof have they given you? They don't even explain how it was damaged.

I'd ignore them. If there is CCTV evidence of you merely moving a barrier which was preventing you from leaving, there's not much they can do and it wouldn't stand up in small claims, especially if every driver was moving it.

I agree with gwc100 on that. I think the offence would be "criminal damage" and therefore a police matter, to whom they should have reported it.

As a counter claim of course, you could avise them you are taking them to court for false imprisonment by not allowing you to lawfully leave the car park as the barrier didn't lift.

To pursue such a damages claim they must have video footage of you "damaging" the barrier and you could deny it and say you will be happy to watch the video footage of your "offence", as well as the preceeding and following 1/2 hour of the tape in court with the judge. :)

...you could avise them you are taking them to court for false imprisonment by not allowing you to lawfully leave the car park as the barrier didn't lift.

You probably weren't being serious, but it wouldn't work. I took Ikea to court for loss of liberty when I was locked in their car park at night after shopping (I was the last customer). Judge said no loss of liberty as I could have walked away, but could have claimed for a cab home and back in the morning. As Ikea is in the middle of nowhere, a bit impractical. My actual escape was impressive.

Lesson learned, get your claim wording exactly right, and don't ask a solicitor to do it as I did. :evil:

Why aren't we revolting?

Well I was been slightly serious as I believe there are rules governing clamping situations that require the clamper to be available 24 hours a day to allow you to offer payment and get the immediate release of your car. Otherwise they are depriving you of your car unlawfully beyond their compensation for the "trespass" or whatever.

As NCP were depriving you of being able to drive your car away, the same should apply to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate

really sorry about the late reply but check out my post and checkout the replys and tell me what you think...ive just updated it today with the latest letter from ncp

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/165979-ncp-cark-paking-fine-2.html#post1840938

many thanks

nev

You sound too rattled :-)

They have shot themselves in the foot by talking about penalties and the like. The fools could have had a case if they could prove the barrier was damaged, proven how and by who it was damaged and proven how much it would cost to fix or replace.

Instead they go on about 'contravening parking regulations' and handing out fines.

They merely want to cash in. The barrier probably isn't even damaged.

Chill out and relax. They won't give up just yet, but remember that they have no case in law. Conversely, don't expect them to go away just yet because of your angry letter!

Were the two people this happened to in the same place? Is there any possibility that it was a 'business decision' by the parking company to not have the barriers work?

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

really sorry about the late reply but check out my post and checkout the replys and tell me what you think

Good afternoon Nevinders

I haven't responded to NCP and I haven't heard anything more from them either.

If they do up the ante, I might respond by asking for their video evidence - specifically asking them to demonstrate that I damaged their equipment in an attempt to leave the car park without paying; where as what actually happened was, I paid, and their barrier didn't lift to let me out.

Good luck with your own spat.

Thanks everyone, for your helpful comments and advice.

Currently doing nothing, by dint of sitting on hands :)

How many weeks before I can assume they've given up?

What makes me particularly cross is that people like NCP (and from a rummage around here it seems they're not the worst?) issue notices like this in the knowledge and expectation that the weak and vulnerable and uninformed will cough up. (Makes me feel a little guilty in consequence, which annoys me even more!)

• 3 weeks later...
bailiffs ??? where the heck do bailiffs come into this ? (they don't)

Just to clarify Lamma's statement. Bailiffs are appointed by the courts to collect unpaid fines or in your case judgements against you. As this hasn't gone to court, there isn't any judgement and bailiffs cannot be brought in.

The best they can do is refer it to a debt collector who have the same powers to enforce debts as you or I - i.e. sweet F.A.

NB: Some debt collectors do have a bailiff business as well. However in these cases their they can only function as bailiffs when they are instructed by courts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 5 weeks later...

This isn't going away, sadly.

Today I received a letter from NCP's Debt Collectors, Roxburghe, saying that if they do not hear from me within 7 days they will pass the matter to their Solicitors, Graham White.

Late payment charges have been added so they're claiming £240.

Still sit on my hands?