• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

HFO claimform - old Morgan Stanley Card Debt **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4426 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I now understand it like this...

1) HFOC purchased the debt from Morgan Stanley

2) Morgan Stanley relinquished their rights as a creditor

3) HFOC are a Cayman based company who are now the legal "assignee"

4) HFOC are NOT a creditor under s.189 of the CCA because they are not a registered UK company

5) Any assignment of a consumer credit account to HFOS is invalid as HFOC do not have a consumer credit licence

6) Therefore any assignment to HFOS would also be invalid

Am I wrong on these points? I think it's as simple as it gets really.

In effect... every debt purchased by HFOC is an Xmas turkey.

in 4) Yep, they cannot be a creditor as defined in 189(1) within part II of the Act and according to 189(2) they cannot sign CCA documents.

and 5a) HFOC may not operate in the uk and/or obtain a CCL without registering at companies house under the companies act 2006. It is explicit on this point that offshore finance and credit companies may not operate in England without registering and filing returns/accounts.

6) The contract (CCA agreement) would be rescinded under English Law at the point of sale to HFOC

Think that pretty much covers it. They are trying to keep their assets offshore and their collection activities only in the UK. Unfortunately offshore assets are..., well offshore

• Haha 1

This is terrific. I have long wondered about this scenario. Am hanging on to every word. Have encountered this before as (some) MBNA and Cabot accounts were assigned by MBNA via Dublin to Cabot Financial (Euope) Ltd but Cabot (UK) Ltd administered the account.

I have seen the sales document and it is assigned offshore and I know of 3/4 court cases which Cabot dropped when the sales doc (or deed of assignment) appeared on the scene. Unfortunately (for this reason) none of these actually went to court so the issues were never examined.

BA your Judge needed a good shake!

take a look at Companies Act 2006 c46 part 34 s1050. Part 34 is all about offshore companies and what they cannot do in the UK. s1050 specifically prohibits acting in credit and finance in endland and wales without registration at companies house. And of course without this they cannot get a CCL either

You sure HB? I thought you mentioned another section earlier on regarding this?

Here's a link to the statute:

Companies Act 2006 (c. 46)

I may have quoted 1045/6 before in some contexts.

1050 is specific to credit and financial and 1050(6) says that you have to unless you prove otherwise.

as with all statute, it's good for insomnia

HFO Capital in Ireland and Cayman have CC licences in the UK.

Agreed and all three come up as current on the database.

but how come the dublin one says its for a 'Body Corporate (incorporated inside UK)'

and for cayman islands, how do does the CCL registration sit with this - their CCL pre dates this:

Companies Act 2006

1050 Accounts and reports: credit or financial institutions

(1) This section applies to a credit or financial institution—

(a) that is incorporated or otherwise formed outside the United Kingdom and Gibraltar,

(b) whose head office is outside the United Kingdom and Gibraltar, and

© that has a branch in the United Kingdom.

(2) In subsection (1) “branch” means a place of business that forms a legally dependent part of the institution and conducts directly all or some of the operations inherent in its business.

(3) The Secretary of State may make provision by regulations requiring an institution to which this section applies—

(a) to prepare the like accounts and directors' report, and

(b) to cause to be prepared such an auditor’s report,

as would be required if the institution were a company formed and registered under this Act.

(4) The regulations may for this purpose apply, with or without modifications, all or any of the provisions of—

• Part 15 (accounts and reports), and
  • Part 16 (audit).

(5) The Secretary of State may make provision by regulations requiring an institution to which this section applies to deliver to the registrar copies of—

(a) accounts and reports prepared in accordance with the regulations, or

(b) accounts and reports that it is required to prepare and have audited under the law of the country in which the institution has its head office.

(6) Regulations under this section are subject to negative resolution procedure.

BA if you look at 4 in cpr 19.4:

Procedure for adding and substituting parties

(1) The court’s permission is required to remove, add or substitute a party, unless the claim form has not been served.

(2) An application for permission under paragraph (1) may be made by –

(a) an existing party; or

(b) a person who wishes to become a party.

(3) An application for an order under rule 19.2(4) (substitution of a new party where existing party’s interest or liability has passed) –

(a) may be made without notice; and

(b) must be supported by evidence.

(4) Nobody may be added or substituted as a claimant unless –

(a) he has given his consent in writing; and

(b) that consent has been filed with the court.

(4A) The Commissioners for HM Revenue and Customs may be added as a party to proceedings only if they consent in writing.

(5) An order for the removal, addition or substitution of a party must be served on –

(a) all parties to the proceedings; and

(b) any other person affected by the order.

(6) When the court makes an order for the removal, addition or substitution of a party, it may give consequential directions about –

(a) filing and serving the claim form on any new defendant;

(b) serving relevant documents on the new party; and

© the management of the proceedings.

So it cannot be done on a whim?

• 2 weeks later...
TR is not a real person for obvious reasons... I'm not sure where the law stands on that.

Where's the WS from them?

CPR is quite clear that court documents must be signed by a real person and if on behalf of a company that person must at least have the title and capacity of manager. This is specifically stated for anything that requires a statement of truth.

CPR 22 is I think the right bit and there may be a bit in 5 as well

I think it says also something like 'the person who signs must print their name clearly below the signature' as well. But it is specific in CPR that a statement of truth must be signed by a person - how can the court direct or ask 'TR - paralegal'?

Therefore I would say that the 'statement of truth' cannot be relied on and that it is not a legitimate document.