• Tweets

• Hi All, I've just had the inevitable N24 and other paperwork arrive. I've read other examples on here and I think I understand the steps to follow. I have until the 28th May to return the N180 Small Claims Direction Questionnaire, I also have an N244 Application notice copy. I read an update on a case you kindly put a link in for me to read. Turns out they lost in court and are now struggling. I really don't want to get to that stage and am thinking mediation may be the way forward? Thoughts please? Pretty sure I've missed the 7 days to have the order set aside.  For reference, this is what I received: Dated 8th May Before Deputy District Judge Baker sitting at the Civil National Business Centre, 4th Floor St Katharine's House, 21-27 St Katharine's Street, Northampton, NN1 2LH   The Court will deal with the application to lift the stay without hearing under CPR 23.8(c)   It is ordered that:   The Application to lift the stay and for direction questionnaires to be issued is granted.   Because this Order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the Order set aside, varied or stayed. A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this Order. If the application is one which requires a hearing, and   a) the party making the application is the Defendant; and b) the Defendant is an individual,   then upon the filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the Defendant's home court. In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.  
    • no ftmdave ive not emailed at ceo level..i did not know you could do that....but i will do now, thanks. ive just been wasting time emailing to customer complaints department
    • Dx, I've now blocked out and attached a copy of the letter that I'm responding tonight.
    • You mention that Iceland have been useless, and that has been our experience too in other cases. However, have you escalated to CEO level?  https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9061&c=Iceland Foods-Chief Executive If not, it has to be worth an e-mail.  Mention immediately, first line, that you are disabled and have been a victim of disability discrimination on the part of the shop's agents. The idea may fail miserably, but nothing ventured ...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Tilly V mortgage express repo

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When renting a property in the private sector in England, it is common to initially be given an Assured Shorthold Tenancy of 6 months only.

...After this time the Tenancy reverts to being a Periodic Tenancy.

It HAS been known for some unscrupulous Buy 'n' Rent Back firms to evict Tennants after the initial 6 months has elapsed.

...This is despite promising 'the world' to them prior to the sale of the house.

While not suggesting that this is an industry-wide practice, it is nethertheless something to bear in mind that COULD happen.

...:)

...Got hold of shelter eventually, but they said they have no office's near me and

to get in touch or go see cab...

Your nearest SHELTER offices...

Shelter: Advice services directory

Other helpful links near to U...

Your local CAB...

It's a secret...U have to guess

...Just to keep U on your toes!...:p

P.S. ...ALL the links ARE different btw...They just came out to show the same...:confused:

...Any chance we can see the N244 you are going to submit, please?
I'm sure that it may also help other peeps who are/will face similar difficulties that U are currently facing at the moment Bill.

...Has anything been paid towards the mortgage since the possesion order?
It would certainly help peeps see/understand the depth of the arrears payment history Bill.

...A sugestion of the last 12months Mortgage Statements would suffice methinks.

This would enable peeps to be able to give U more specific/correct advice...;)

Patience is a virtue KTC.

...I'm sure Bill will be able to Post 12months worth of Mortgage Statements soon enough.

This would enable peeps to advise on the BIGGER picture, both before + after her hubby's unfortunate accident.

It would also allow peeps to see by how much this has effected their financial predicament + how a Judge MAY also see it like that + be MORE sympathetic.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

IIIUMINATI

The property no longer legally belongs to Bill.

...A Possession Order has already been issued.

This PO has NOT been 'Stayed' as of yet.

...It is just a matter of time before an Eviction Notice is applied for by the Mortgage Company.

But what are the TOTAL Arrears??...:confused:

There are financial thresholds to be met re: IVA/Bankruptcy.

The sooner U confront your TOTAL debt

...The sooner peeps will be able to offer U the appropriate advice.

Peeps are perhaps overloading U with conflicting well meant advice, cos even after 626 Posts, U don't seem to be helping them to help U.

Although U weren't actually present in Court when the Possession Order was made, U MUST have known approx what the arrears were + for how long the mortgage has NOT been fully paid??...:confused:

It is NOT important how U have got into this sorry state of financial chaos

...But what IS important, is to realise what U have to do to get out of it.

How about a lodger to help with the rent for six months then you may not need plan A

If plan b comes off you wont need a lodger

Plan B = Lodger...;)

Perhaps a small ad in your local paper/newsagents may facilitate, Bill??

Do any of your kids know of someone (...with rich parents;)) who may need 'temporary' lodgings, so as to attend local Colleges/Uni's??...:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Something to also bear in mind Bill...

Social Housing 6 year waiting list for repossessed families

Soz for the reality check...It's important that U are under NO illusions though...:(

Although I would imagine that certain Councils throughout the country couldn't persuade peeps to move into some estates, even if they paid them to...:rolleyes:

Now's the time for U to step up a gear + give it your 110% for the next couple of months Bill.

Sugarcoating doesn't always help peeps get focused when they REALLY need to...:wink:

The difference between what he asset raises and what Tilly owes is her responsibility, the only way to challenge the amount would be if ME sold the property way below market value with no reasonable explanation.
Methinks it is a responsibility equally shared between the OP + her husband gizmo111...:wink:

Just because ME take possesion of the property the debt doesnt stop at that day. Interest, legal fees etc will still be the responsibility of the borrower. This is about debt, not title to the property.

Agreed.

But the 12yrs in which the Mortgagae Lender has to recover any debt begins from when the OP last makes ANY acknowledgement of the debt...i.e. A £1 token payment, NOT from when the Possession Order was granted.

Given that each + EVERY payment to the Mortgage Lender re-starts the 12yr period + that a bankrupcy pettion is seeming more likey every day the OP's house (...which is now owned by the Mortgage Lender btw) remains unsold, ANY further payment by the OP would appear to be 'Dead Money'??...:confused:

Would it be MORE advantagous to the OP, if NO further payments on the Mortgage were made + the monies kept to go towards future Bond/Deposit/Rent payments on private rental property??...:confused:

If the answer to the above is YES, the longer the OP remains in the current property, until an Eviction Notice is served, the longer the OP is able to enjoy RENT FREE accomodation, IF bankrupcy is sought + obtained??...:confused:

To simplify, if you sent your credit card back to the credit company you would still owe the amount borrowed and interest accruing, until you paid it off, even though you no longer have the card.

Methinks an over simplification gizmo111.

A Credit Card is just a token + remains the property of the Credit Card Company even though it has been issued to the Card Holder.

A house becomes the property of the Mortgage Lender ONLY when a Possession Order is obtained.

As I have said until the house is sold, by either Tilly or ME we do not now what the shortfall will be and it is pointless speculating or worrying until the final figures are known.

Methinks that it IS important for the OP, that ALL options are explored for ALL scenarios + for EACH stage.

To clarify...

A Joint Mortgage is held by the OP + her husband.

The Mortgage is of a normal Repayment type.

Arrears have accrued on the Mortgage.

(...3months arrears allows the Mortgage Lender to instigate Court proceedings to recover possession btw)

The OP's husband has suffered a disabilitaing accident + is unlikely to be able to regain the level of income that he previously enjoyed through employment.

The OP alone can NOT afford to service the current Mortgage, let alone be in a position to make arrangements to enter into an agreement to 'catch up' with the arrears.

The above would signify the OP would either have to Re-mortgage or consider 'downsizing'.

The OP has stated that the level of her current Mortgage means that there is NO equity.

Therefore selling the house is the ONLY feasible option.

The Mortgage Lender has ALREADY obtained an intially undefended Possession Order.

IMHO, to try to have the Possession Order suspended serves NO purpose to the OP...

The OP would just be delaying the enevitable given her expected income levels.

The general housing market is in freefall + has yet to reach its bottom.

It would appear prudent, for the OP, to discharge her obligation to the debt asap.

It has been acknowledged that there going to be a shortfall regardless of who sells the OP's house.

If the Mortgage Lender does it, the shortfall would be expected to be ££zillions.

If the OP retains the right to be able to sell her house the shortfall COULD be limited.

If the shortfall is limited to such a minimal extent, the OP's financial position could be recovered, over a period of time, without the need to enter into bankrupcy.

Methinks the OP would be best advised by realistic options about what her 'cut-off' point should be.

If the OP were to enter into bankrupcy, ££zillions as opposed to ££thousands is neither here nor there IMHO.

The following questions also NEED to be addressed...

1/ The level of the OP's other debts + what type of debt they are.

2/ What level of repayment the OP realistically feels that she could comfortably afford to repay to recover her financial position if bankruptcy was NOT to be considered.

(...This enables the 'cut-off' point to be fixed)

3/ How bankrupcy could be successfully achieved.

4/ What being a bankrupt person would actually mean for the OP, during the period of bankruptcy.

5/ How + when the bankruptcy period could be ended.

6/ What the long term ramification of having been bankrupt would there be for the OP.

7/ Although NOT specifically mentioned by the OP, methinks that it is also important to consider the OP's husband's position...e.g. Would a JOINT bankruptcy application be a possible option?

...Or would a complete severance of financial ties asap be better for BOTH the OP + her husband + seperate applications made?

• Haha 1

12yrs in which the Mortgage Lender has to recover any debt begins from when the OP last makes ANY acknowledgement of the debt...i.e. A £1 token payment, NOT from when the Possession Order was granted.

Any acknowledgement in writing also, but not really relevant as it is doubtful that they would leave it for 12 years to chase them for what looks is going to be a large sum

???????????????????????????

U ARE kidding aren't U gizmo111??...:confused:

The WHOLE of the CAG website is riddled with Threads about peeps being chased by Original Creditors/DCA's etc, well into the period in which they are legally entitled to start Court Claim against....:eek::eek::-o

Indeed, janus even refers to this types of DELAY in her Post preceding yours...:rolleyes:

If a person has JUST been re-possessed, it will 99.99% of the time be cos of LACK of income.

It therefore makes MORE sense for the Creditor to wait as long as possible before attempting to regain the monies owed, surely?

A/ Interest etc could have accrued on the original outstanding balance, thus increasing the debt.

B/ The Debtor would hopefully have recovered from their financial setback + be back on their feet enough to repay the debt.

I myself am facing impending legal action on an 'alleged' Mortgage Shortfall from 11yrs ago.

From MY own personal experience, MY Mortgage Lender has had more than ample opportunity to take me to Court, but has chosen NOT to do so, so far...:cool:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Errrm...I know it may sound daft, but what has BR got to do with Bill's Repossession??...:?

BR hasn't existed in it's original legal form since 1993.

...Or am I completely on the wrong track here??...:confused:

...:D

Tills, best to take a small loss now, than a big one later!! Good luck
That would all depend on if Bill has received a ridiculously LOW offer, or NOT methinks.

...Perhaps U should try to remain objective TT??...;)

As I previously Posted...

Bill will have to work out what her OWN 'Cut Off' figure is, for her to realistically be able to repay ANY shortfall, without having to enter into Bankruptcy.

...I'm sure it's not RIDICULOUSLY low, else Bill would not be considering it.

Not like you to throw your toys out of your pram eh! Bad day?

Far from it TT, but U weren't privy to the tearfilled call that Bill made earlier today...:(

The offer that WAS made, was ONLY approx 2/3 of the advertised selling price, which itself was already quite a few grand BELOW the outstanding mortgage!

To ME, that is a RIDICULOUSLY LOW offer + is tantatamount to 'profiteering' through another person's misery...:mad:

I am aware that Bill knows that there WILL be a shortfall.

What she NEEDS advice on is WHAT her 'Cut Off' figure should be.

She can budget herself what her income/out goings will be for the next few years.

I believe that she is EXTREMELY fearful of what Bankruptcy entails + would like advice on it's implications, so that she can work out for herself what is necessary to hopefully + realistically avoid it.

I'm NOT confident that the Official Receiver would take kindly to someone that has deliberately 'undersold' their main asset + then sought Bankruptcy as a financial refuge btw.

...Hopefully this will be the one to buy.
A very SMALL reminder for peeps...

Bill NO LONGER owns her house.

Mortgage Express has already obtained a Possession Order.

This P.O. has NOT been 'Stayed'.

Even if Bill procures a buyer, ME will be the ones who say 'Yea or Nay' to ANY eventual sale.

Bill needs to write a letter to ME asking to clarify the following...

Permission for her to sell the house + what is the LOWEST acceptable value that she can sell it for, unopposed by ME.

It may be advantageous for Bill to stress the generally declining housing market to ME, plus adding that a private sale would obtain ME a greater revenue than a sale via auction would, in the present financial climate.

IMHO...

If ME comeback + say that they expect a sale to the value of the outstanding mortgage, they have shot themselves in the foot.

Bill could just withdraw from the selling process + let ME do the selling.

This would probably be done by auction + by having already 'valued' Bill's house at the outstanding mortgage value, they would have deliberately 'undersold' the house + an argument against having to make good the shortfall can be legitimately made.

If ME comeback + say a figure LESS than the current mortgage value, this gives Bill the opportunity to price the house realistically (...if it can be ABOVE the figure stated by ME) + know what her 'cut-off' figure would have to be, to possibly avoid Bankruptcy.

Bill could then be in a position to negotiate a settlement figure with ME based on Hardship.

This MAY result in the shortfall either being written off, or reduced.

The advantage to ME in allowing Bill to find a buyer, is that they would get a greater return of their initial capital than they otherwise would + also a lot sooner.

• Haha 1

...A letter is now winging it's way to Me, posted it yesterday :D
Oh yeah...knew I'd mentioned my last Post to someone aaaaaaages ago...just couldn't remember WHO??...:eek::rolleyes:

U trying to say that I type sloooow Bill??...:mad::oops::razz: