• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Egg credit card agreement terminated

toymaker1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think the whole thing is weird! I know what Egg did, why they did it and how they did it.

That is a good argument that they must have been aware of the correct way to do this, i.e. restrict the credit limit. I can only think they made one humdinger of a cockup or it was deliberate.

I keep wondering how long before this gets in front of a judge. I just hope it isn't because some dumbass CMC decides to make a name for itself and ballses it up for everyone with poor legal argument. Like seems to be happening a lot just recently !

I agree, we were advised to let Egg make the claim first, then defend on this basis.

The legal team are long established, and wouldn't normally do this type of work.

However, one has personal contacts.

I was told initially that they would look it over, but to expect that they would not touch it.

However, after looking at the termination letter, it suddenly became very interesting to them.

Like you say, it could have been deliberate. A disgruntled senior employee who was not happy with the purchase, just as a hypothetical example. Otherwise, it was the textbook schoolboy error.

With Egg up for sale again, two things will be revealing:

1. If it sells.

2. Assuming that it does, what the sale price is.

We should then be able to get a handle on what the write-offs are at this point, and make a guess at how hard they will take things through the court.

Furthermore, say a sale does go ahead, if they close down UK operations and purely run it as an Internet service from another (cheaper) location. That would suggest that they have valued the brand and the good customers and are likely to have written-off the bad stuff.

And let's face it, most of the people who have been going the enforceability route are more likely to be can't pay rather than won't pay. If people have fallen on hard times, then there is no money to be recovered and no point in wasting resource chasing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The mecahnics of money does explain that there is no hard cash involved. However, it would not stand up as an argument in court, in my opinion.

Several of my contacts have with-held payment from Egg after termination, have been served default notices, and are awaiting Egg to issue a court claim, which will then be defended on the basis that there is no contract in place, having been ended by Egg's free choice.

They went quiet after defaults and a couple of court threats, too soon to PT's case to see if that had any bearing. Unlikely though, as this is completely separate from enforeceability, and - again in my opinion - a much stronger case.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Mistermind is putting over some fair points to balance things up here.

He is not another Peter Bard, as far as I can see.

I never really thought that "approved limit" would prove a legal loophole, and - if we are being honest - the Judge applied common sense to the case. It was fair enough.

However, I disagree with Mistermind that the Egg termination letter was ambiguous.

On the contrary, it was very clear.

They chose to end the agreement. It is very different from restricting an account, it is also very different from closing an account.

It was ending the agreement, that is the contract that governed the creditor-debtor transactions.

Once the agreement is brought to an end, there can be no account, and there can be no debt.

There really is nothing anyone can do to change this, other than the two parties agree a new contract.

One thing I am sure about is that we are not 100% sure. I wouldn't even like to put a percentage on how sure we are. All I can say is that it is a lot more sure than we were on the approved limit approach.

I think some on here do take what is posted as definitive, that is one of the dangers of the Internet, it is far from it.

As you say, it is a good place for debate, and discussion.

In my view, the banks run countries, not parliament. What has happened over the past 18 months is clear proof of that.

It is a tough win for us. What I can say that is once defaults have been served, there is little point in the banks going any further. So, if you can live with a default...

• 1 month later...

Indeed it can Peter, and Egg choose to end the agreement.

Thus nothing is in place to govern any facility, therefore end of debt.

They could, of course, have stipulated a time-scale that included a full payback of any debts.

Which would also have been perfectly above board. It would then have been up to the debtor to find the balance, or then negotiate with Egg.

Egg did not do this, the lawfully ended the agreement, and any related serviced.

Very clearly.

But, as we have seen, only a judge will truly decide...

I have no disagreements with your points in this post either Peter.

I, personally, think that it is a grey area whether or not what Egg did was lawful. I would not want to test that in court.

Our standpoint is that Egg have acted within their rights, have terminated the accounts, therefore everything is complete.

I have to say I am becoming very uneasy about this argument.

Much as it pains me to say it, as I am one of the thousands with a 'termination' letter and have disputed the account on the strength of it.

Unfortunately in the same way as the judge in Slater ruled that 'Approved Limit' was readily seen to be the credit limit, I have to see that a judge could easily say that the manner of terminating the agreement in the way Egg did was readily understandable by an average debtor.

I am not sure that I disagree with what Egg have done.

However, I do think that it means they decided to write-off the debt.

To the layman, that seems to be a perfectly clear interpretation.

Although, there is certainly a case against the way that they did it.

It's the only logical interpretation I can arrive at.

Why else would they have worded in such a way?

For example, if they have merely wished to stop further lending, then they would surely have said that and left agreement in place.

Businesses sometimes choose not to continue relationships - for whatever reason - and in this case it appears that Egg just did not want to deal with a specific set of customers.

Fair enough, they end the agreement, consumers ends payments.

• 1 month later...
I've been called a great deal of things in my life, toymaker, but charmingly naive is a new one. I've seen so many people destroyed at court over the years, either through overconfidence or a belief that the law is so certain that it defies intepretation, that I've come to the conclusion that being a lawyer is more to do with risk - assessment than legal nous. I daresay that nobody believes that Carey is an accurate statement of statute, but it has now become - by dint of the way in which the County Court system works - the dominant precedent on CCA construction.

I stand by what I said - if a company fails to go through the proper legal procedure, then it's open to the judge to say that the cancellation and / or termination was not properly executed. It would be a brave man to guess what the consequence of such a failure might be. My guess is that Egg aren't brave enough to test the waters and hopefully no-one will push the case into Court a la the Rankins. One thing I can express with absolute certainty about the County Court system is that it operates on the level of realpolitik. You can argue your case, but don't expect your judge to be a CC expert or take a great deal of time with your case. I'm not sure also that you understand the level of discretion that the CPR has given judges. If it gets kicked up to the COA, then you can expect a better level of judge, but by that time your legal costs risk is more than enough to bankrupt most people. That's the real problem. You have an arguable case, but how far do you want to risk your livelihood?

I hope you're right, toymaker, as I'm one of the many people who have Egg - shaped debts. Genuinely hope you're right, and I'll leave it at that, as I think this thread has exhausted all possible interpretations of the statute in question.

Good luck, all,

GL

Really can't argue agianst such a graceful reply.

I think your point about risk-assessment is the absolute key to this.

This is why my advice - not legally qualified, I may add - is to not take the initiative, but to let Egg take the action.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think questioning their right to terminate is a dead end, just as I though eforceability would be.

I have accepted Egg's termination and have, therefore, ceased to trade with them.

A few threatening letters responded to by stating "I no longer have an agreement with you." and referred them to the termination letter.

It ended with, well be should agree to disagree, only a court can decided.

Not a peep, for over a year now, but sure they will come back to the few of us who did this.

Acceptance of termination is the only possible logical explanation, CCA route doesn't hold much strength to me.

Personally, I still don't think challenging their right to terminate will hold any credence in court, even though I can see Toymaker's point.

The way in which the termination was worded, however, makes it quite clear that there was to be no further contractual agreement, therefore end of the business relationship, at a given time.

They did it the wrong way, have subsequently changed their process as they realised so.

They will not take to court for the reasons that Peter has mentioned, and also that if defended in a robust and akileed way could very well be left at, the contract was legally terminated on given date, with the balance not demanded within that given timescale, the matter has come to and end (in layman's terms of course).

In answer to your earlier question Toymaker, we have all not paid for well over a year, all had defaults served, all heard nothing for several months thereafter.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4834 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks