HilaryFrances v Yorkshire Bank (Leeds)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No Olden but we are here :D

The one major benefit to most of us there today is that the judge has ordered that the banks are not able to harass, abuse, threaten (via letters or otherwise) or enforce disputed debts (through collection agencies) arising from charges or closure of accounts, in the interim, otherwise we can put in an application to him directly to strike out the defence (stay) on grounds of abuse

vbrep_register("1176457")

I think thats a good result, The courts are currently taking between 6 and 12 weeks to list hearings which means if you won a stay appeal hearing now by the time your case got listed for a hearing it would be late December or January. The test case is due to start in January.

Bl**dy annoying but I think we have to live with it for now. I think we may see a melting in the attitude of the Judges after the first instance judgment in the test case, but we will see.

pete

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all the cases he heard, including mine, have been deferred whilst he considers his judgment.

My judge has done this too I'm pretty sure because he wants to consider how to control the banks during the period of the stay to prevent them pursuing the debt or reporting defaults to the credit agency's

I think he has already made his mind up though because he also said that it the banks want to pursue us for the costs for today we would have to come back to court.

My judge asked in court if the barristers wanted costs and when they said no he said there would be no costs associated with his order. I think you can also look at this as telling the banks if they want costs they will have to face him again and say why.

So we not only may have to pay for the banks cost we all may end up with a county court judgment as well, so be warned.

You wont get a CCJ from an appeal hearing.

He said that there was no guarantee that even if the stays were lifted we would get our money sooner than if we waited for the outcome of the test case. He also said that the banks could argue that the high charges were meant as a deterrent and not just to increase profits as some cynics might suggest.

Err yes otherwise known as a penalty charge :D

Well done Hils it looks like you put up a very good show :)

pete

A number of judges have recognized that problem with the stays, and have either made further directions with the stay to limit the banks actions during the stay of have warned the banks that if they do take any actions during the stay the stay will be lifted immediately and the case will go to hearing.

Notable one of these was Carlisle v Clydesdale (was a Leeds case too) I have a transcript of the judgment in PDF format. If you want a copy PM me your email addy and I will send :).

pete

yes basically they are allowed to add charges to your account but not pursue you for recovery or inform the credit agency's of any supposed defaults.

If your still using your account this doesn't help a lot because the new charges will still just eat up your wages/benefits BUT if you open a parachute account and move all of your finances to that they can do what they like to your old account and they are stuck with it until after the test case :)

pete

its one hell of a penny when it drops isn't it :D you do have to make sure the recovery from your claim will cover the overdraft in your old account when all of this mess is over but basically yes.

If you can get your judge to use the Carlisle v Clydesdale judgment as a template there is nothing stopping you effectively putting the bank on hold too :D.

pete

Hi castle about the banks may ask for costs, I thought if they consider that to have the stay, they won the hearing therby entitling them to costs?

I'm honestly not sure how the costs work on appeals on county court fast track, I believe we have been very lucky to date in that costs haven't been asked for by the banks maybe zoot can shed more light on when costs do / do not apply.

pete

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know of one case where the claimant proved his case for hardship in court and got a court date for his claim only to have the bank appeal against it and the stay put back :rolleyes:

the only comfort are the Carlisle v Clydesdale directions (if you still owe the bank money) and the statutory interest which is building on your claim value :rolleyes:

pete