Firstly, many thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. Here is an update and followed by a checklist if anyone has similar issues.
The engineers visit last Friday ( bet 7 am and 7pm) was cancelled, with no reason as to why, at around 11am, and I was simply told there would come on Tuesday,
not even bothering to ask if this was convenient.
I refused, as I had cancelled everything in my diary last week in order to resolve the matter, and rescheduled for this week!
I went into the Comet branch yesterday, and refused to be put off without speaking with the manager.
I stood by the service desk, and when asked what the problem was simply stated quite calmly that I had no intention of repeating the whole story again
as both Comet and Panasonic were fully aware of the problem.
The manager eventually came to speak with me.
I had all the paper work with me, but stated that there should be no need for me to go into details ( I was asked!) as he should be fully aware of the issue.
He took some considerable time to read the letter that I had sent both by recorded delivery and through Comets website, and eventually mumbled that they would exchange it!
This I refused and simply stated that I wanted a full refund.
The FF will be collected tomorrow.
I requested compensation for the food I had lost, and was told that I would have to take this up with head office, which I will do after the fridge has been collected tomorrow.
This morning I received my first call from Panasonic apart from the cancellation of the engineer!
They had been notified from Roumania (!!!) that I had issues.
They asked how much food compensation I was looking at and offered me half, as "a goodwill gesture'.
I suggested that they should increase that as I have spent at least 3 full days trying to get the problem dealt with. They are thinking about it.
Yesterday, I ordered a FF from John Lewis, own brand with servicing from AEG. They deliver on Wednesday in the same delivery slot as Comet!
My suggestions to anyone having similar issues is as follows.
1. Write EVERYTHING down, with time and date of the call, to whom etc etc.
2. Advise your bank or credit card company if you have paid by CC or cheque, and ask to speak to the disputes team.
Ask them to explain to you what the procedure is, and whether you will incur any charges on your account by not settling it.
If you have paid by CC, both the retailer and the CC company are jointly liable under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.
3. Contact your local Trading Standards, who will give you the appropriate information with regard to putting your complaint in writing to the company, in this case COMET.
4. Write that letter! Send it recorded delivery, and keep/save a copy. I even sent a second letter, with a copy of the first, when the engineer cancelled
5. BE PERSISTANT. I do think that is why I have eventually got my problem resolved. I spoke with Comet and Panasonic every day, and visited the store on 2 occasions, making my presence felt in a firm and calm way, despite being very angry and upset.
6. Once you are certain that both companies have ALL the information they need, when asked to explain what the problem is, DO NOT explain.
Tell them that everything has been sent by recorded delivery, you have called on numerous occasions and therefore they should know what the problem is.
If they dont, ask them to contact Head Office!
In other words use their time and energy, not yours.
Finally, thank goodness for sites like this.
It really helped last week when I felt very victimised by a giant retailer and manufacturer.