• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Buttercup79 v Woolwich

buttercup79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there :)

I recently started a claim for the Woolwich, to which I calculated £8351 charges (inc interest) and have sent my LBA, to which they offered £4492.

This is a fairly reduced sum and I would like to fight for a closer figure! I have been reading up on the court section and get the impression that it is better to fill an N1 form in than go through MCOL? Is this correct? Also I can't seem to find an address to send this N1 form to and how do I find my local court? (Its something I havent had to do before!!!;) )

Hope all you helpful people out there can help me,

Thanks in advance,

Buttercup79 :D

Hi buttercup and welcome to CAG!

Well that's a pretty rotten offer by The Woolwich and quite rightly you can, if you follow all the steps on this site, have the full amount of your charges (and any interest thereon) refunded, so a closer figure would be £8,351.

You will get all the advice and support you need on this site buttercup so don't panic about the thought of court or that it's a bank - in basic speak, it's your money so you're going to get it back.

Okay, just so we know you've got it all right before you file an N1, can you let us know;

1) What sort of account is it and how far back are you re-claiming?

2) Did you send off the Preliminary Request and then the Letter Before Action at least 14 days later?

3) When you say you included interest, as long as it was interest occuring as a result of the unlawful charges you are fine. At this point you cannot have included the 8% Statutory Interest. That gets added only once you file a claim.

4) Have you calculated your charges and interest using the spreadsheet from this site? If not, I would recommend you download it and put in your figures as it is self updating and calculates accumulating 8% Stat Interest which you will need once you file.

This link http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/HMCSCourtFinder/ will help you find your local county court. If you are still unsure, let us know where you live and I'll look it up for you.

Definitely the N1 route from now on as MCOL is snowed under and will certainly delay your claim.

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Hi Welshcakes and thanks for the friendly welcome.

Okay - so in answer to your questions...

1) It a OpenPlan account from the Woolwich - and I have claimed back for the last six years

2) Yes I sent the Prel Request ( which they actually £4492) and then I sent the LBA to which they replied with the same offer of £4492.

3) This bit I am confused on and now scared I have done the wrong thing:o I used the spreadsheet from this site and added the 8% on (which is what the £8351 includes) was this not the correct interest to use? This is what I used for my Pre Request and LBA - I am really scared now that I have messed this all up:eek:

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it - just a little scared I've done the wrong thing now.

Hi buttercup

Ok, stop panicing - you haven't filed at court so you're fine. what you need to do is 'hide' the 8% APR column and print off the spreadsheet (because what you are legally allowed to ask back for at this stage is just the charges but not the 8%).

I presume the total of your claim is significantly more that the offer, even without the 8% - if it is pretty much on the mark, you should obviously consider accepting their offer.

So, assuming you still want to reject their offer as being way off the mark of what's due, what you will do now is take your amended spreadsheet (not showing 8%) and enclose it with a further letter to Barclays. The letter you will send is Letter No. 4 from http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html. BUT you will need to make a few alterations.

Here is my offer of the altered letter:

YOUR Street

Town

City

Postcode

Date

BANK NAME

Address

Address

Postcode

Re: Account number XXXXXXXX

Response to settlement offer.

Dear [named sender or Sirs]

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/xx

I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling £xxxx as per the enclosed Schedule of Charges.

In order to avoid Litigation against you, I am prepared to temporarily accept the sum offered as partial settlement on the clear understanding that the remainder is paid within the next 10 days, namely £ [put in the difference between £4492 and your new spreadsheet figure]. Failure to comply with this request will result in legal action against you for full recovery.

*If you do not accept my conditions for acceptance, or you do not respond within 10 days, I shall return any the payment to you OR *If you do not accept my conditions for acceptance, or you do not respond within 10 days, the money transfered to my account should not be viewed as my acceptance and I hereby authorise you to remove this sum accordingly.

For the avoidance of doubt, I wish to stress that I do not accept your offer under the terms stated in your letter.

*(Only put this is if they send you a cheque for the £4492)

*(Only put this is if the bank have credited your account)

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

[signature]

[print name]

Enc: Schedule of Charges

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

3 Wins :

Hi again

Thank you so much for your patience and help! but..... I'm a little confused by the astericks sections?!?? how do I know which one to put when they havent sent me any money yet?

Sorry if this is really simple - I think I am having a blonde moment....sorry!

Thanks so much again for your help - I really appreciate it.

hi Buttercup

If at the point of sending the letter, you haven't received it in any shape or form, you delete both (green and brown). How much £ is your claim without the 8% APR?

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

What is your claim without the 8%?

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

Hi buttercup

Okay, well you must pursue this through court and get your full settlement offered. They've tried to pay you off quick with just over 70% of your entitlement.

Get the letter off today registered post then on 30th July you can submit a hardcopy claim to your local county court.

Have you found the address of your court now?

Any worries you have about filling in the forms or your Schedules calculations, drop me a PM and I'll run through all the figures and wording with you :)

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

An update on my case....

Sent partial offer letter off and they replied with the same £4492 offer. I was about to start the court proceedings.... but with the new info released at the end of last week about the banks and the courts I am a little unsure of what to do? Is there a chance i could loose the £4492 if i start court proceedings?

Please help

Thanks in advance

Buttercup

Hi buttercup

Well if you start court proceedings, the bank will almost certainly withdraw its offer which is packaged up as "a goodwill gesture" in full and final settlement to prevent the need for court litigation. You would have to sign an agreement to accept £4492 as F&F settlement so you would therefore have no case with which to go to court - it's one or the other I'm afraid.

Their offer is still open to you and they wll honour it.

If you decide to hold out for the full amount + 8%, you will likely be waiting another 12 months+ for the cheque (though it will be a whole lot bigger).

This is a decision only you can make :)

• Haha 1

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

• 1 month later...

Hi there

Just after a little advice...... I sent my letter accepting there offer at the beginning of AUgust but they still havent paid me the money.... even tho it said on the letter it would be in my bank account within 10 days??

Can anyone help please??

thanks in advance

Hi buttercup

I am helping one of my friends who is in a similar stage with the Woolwich. I have printed off a simple letter on their behalf FAO of the Woolly signatory of the offer letter. It is short and to the point requesting a timely settlement for the agreed amount of £xx so that the matter may be concluded.

It sometimes accelerates things when you address correspondence/emails to a particular person and 'hound' them.

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

We did the same thing - accepted their offer when the OFT case was announced. Our money was paid within 5 days, I think due to the fact that I included a letter telling them I still felt that the charges were wrong and I sent it by recorded delivery, so they HAD to acknowledge it existed.

Also, I kept calling them daily to check if the money was transferred yet, so I guess they accepted we meant business!