• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CCA's and Dave against the world !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

this could be bigger than Wilson itself!!!!!

please give a great deal of consideration to the legal arguments and also i urge you to fully research this first before jumping in with both feet

Hi

I’ve seen quite a few comments about the Wilson v FCT case but nothing about the other Wilson cases that, to my mind, seem just as relevant to Dave’s case, if not more so.

In the Robertson case:-

Wilson v Robertsons (London) Ltd [2006] EWCA Civ 1088

She was trying it on (sorry – perhaps shouldn’t say that!) in the same way that she was in the previous pawnbrokers case:-

Wilson v Pawnbrokers [2005] EWCA Civ 147

She was trying to say that when she renewed each agreement, because they were unenforceable, that she should get the principal amount back for each renewal of the agreement. The court decided that this wasn’t right (big surprise). However, what is important is that it was held that there was no dispute that she was entitled to keep the principal amount of the loan, have her security returned and to have all the interest paid by her returned. There was no comment on return of payments she made towards the principal amount as she hadn’t made any, she was just paying off the interest.

The issue

15 Mrs Wilson claims that, on its true legal analysis, each renewal was a "novation", involving repayment of the original loan followed by the making of a new agreement for a loan of the same amount, secured by the redeposit of the same item.

16 The consequence, according to her argument, can be best seen from an example:

i) Mrs Wilson enters into agreement 1 under which she pawns the watch for £400, and receives a loan of £400.

ii) At the end of the period, she enters into agreement 2 under which the same item is stated to be pawned for the same £400 amount. She pays the interest due on agreement 1. No further money changes hands, but her liability to pay the sum of £400 is treated as a liability under agreement 2.

iii) This process is repeated with agreement 3 replacing agreement 2, and then agreement 4 replacing agreement 3. Again she pays interest due on each agreement, but no money changes hands in respect of principal, her liability being transferred to the new agreement.

17 At the end of this process, because the agreements were unenforceable under the Act, it is not in dispute that she is able to retain the £400 loan, to recover the watch, and to receive back all the interest payments actually made. However, in addition, she claims that she is entitled to payment (in this example) of a further sum of £1200 (£400 x 3), on the footing that, even though no new money changed hands, on a true legal analysis she had paid £400 to discharge each of the agreements. This, she argues, was "an amount received by the creditor… on realisation of the security…" within the meaning of section 106(d) of the Act, and therefore is repayable to her.

The interesting bit here is from p17:-

At the end of this process, because the agreements were unenforceable under the Act, it is not in dispute that she is able to retain the £400 loan, to recover the watch, and to receive back all the interest payments actually made

And also here from p3:-

3 Following that decision, the stay on the present proceedings was lifted in November 2003, and the case came for hearing on April 2005 before HH Judge Rose. His judgment in turn was subject to an appeal before Laddie J in June 2005. The combined effect of those decisions was that the agreements were held to be both defective and extortionate. There was no dispute that Mrs Wilson was entitled in principle not only to retain the amount of the loans to her, but also to return of the pawned goods, and to repayment of interest previously paid by her.

I hope that this is of some help.

Regards

Nicklea

• Haha 1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. I'd be interested to hear how things go with you. In my case, I'm looking to use this as part of a counterclaim that I'm putting together against Goldfish.

Regards

nick

• 4 months later...

There are quite a few points in that judgement which specifically go against what is presumed (on here) to be correct:-

s77/s78 request.

The judge said at [12] that it was not necessary for the terms and conditions to be sent in reply to a s77/78 request:-

"Mr and Mrs Rankine also sought to contend as a new thought at trial that as only the front page was scanned in, therefore the entire agreement had not been sent. The back only contained the standard conditions which were sent separate anyway so that is a very bad point an perhaps it was not surprising that it had not emerged until then.

He said at [16] that a s77/78 request was invalid after the agreement had been terminated so s78(6) could not be used to halt enforcement.

He then went on to say that in any case "enforce" is not descriptive of bringing proceedings (so a creditor can commence a court case even if they haven't responded to a s77/78 request). Doing this is merely a step taken with a view to enforcement and so is ok. The only recourse the debtor has is to seek an injunction under s170

Cancellation Rights

I have seen a couple of defences/witness statments from Tomtem8 that refer to notice of cancellation rights not having been given.

What the judge has said here (at [18] - [27]) is that in the case of credit cards for example that voluntarily give cancellation rights then they don't have to abide by all the procedures for giving notice of those rights.

Default notice

He said at [41] and [43] that if there is anything wrong with the default notice then it does not bar the creditor bringing a court action, but a debtor can only seek an injunction under s170.

He also said at [45] that if the default notice was overstated by only a small amount then that does not matter (in this case it was overstated by £10 when she had arrears of £347 and a total debt of about £6k. He then went on to refer to Woodchester Lease v Swaine as support of his position.

So, he is saying that a default notice does not have to be entirely accurate.

Kiriri Cotton Co Ltd v Dewani [1960] AC 192

This was about two parties being "in pari delicto" ie both equally at fault - or rather they weren't both equally at fault.

That was a case involving a landlord and tenant where the duty of observing the law was firmly placed by the relevant legislation on the landlord, on whom alone a penalty was imposed if he disobeyed the law. Accordingly the tenant was held not to be in pari delicto.