• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Beckett v Lloyds TSB - Going Back More than 6 Years

TBeckett100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had an account that was closed with Lloyds 5.5 years ago and i settled via the debt agency on a full and final basis (at a discount)

I am worried that I may be hauled up in court for writing cheques that would be guaranteed running up a large overdraft?

should i leave this well alone?

Halifax WON X 2, Northern Rock WON, Capital One WON, Marbles WON, HSBC WON

On the 25th october I will be filing a claim for £175.00 Citicards. Just watch it!

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My a/c was closed with them over 6 years ago however in the 18 months running up to it, i was hammered for hundreds of pounds of charges. anyone advice?

On the 25th october I will be filing a claim for £175.00 Citicards. Just watch it!

• 3 weeks later...

My request for statements last June was ignored so I went into local branch on 22/March and handed them the letter and cheque. I asked for a copy of the letter with a date stamp as evidence of request.

It is now nearly 2 weeks later and I have heard nothing. I can feel a case coming on to take them to court for non compliance. My request goes back to 1999.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

I gave in my request, cheque and ID showing my address to the bank clerk on 22 March. I got the bank to copy and stamp it so I know they had it and could prove so.

We are now day 30 something and nothing, absolutly nothing.

I dropped through the same branch a letter on Monday threatening court action for non complaince and absolutly nothing.

The account was closed 6 years ago and I wanted statements back to 1998. Can I take Lloyds to court for non compliance?

Well after a long battle I got a call from the branch and my statements were ready. Just to give you all the info, the account was closed Oct 2006 and passed to a Debt Agency. I paid off a % to close the account.

I have gone through the charges and they took £1,085 between this period. My first request letter will be hand delivered today. If this goes to MCOL stage they owe another £848 in stat 8% interest!

Has anyone succeded in going back this far yet?

funny you should ask. I sent my requests via the branch and heard nothing for nearly 40 days. as the deadline approached i sent them strong letters. i got a call out of the blue from the branch manager to collect my statements and they went right back to 1998. from microfiche

i wondered why lloyds didnt bank the £10 cheque until today when i got a letter from the copy statement unit informing me that they dont hold the information requested.

confused, I was.

yes it was when i hit 18 and the problems really started.

is anyone geared up to help me with this when i get to MCOL stage in 2 and a bit weeks?

• 2 weeks later...

I am going back 1999-2001, is it worth contuing my claim as my barclaycard defence mentioned limitation act and given the lloyds win, i think i should give up? any thoughts?

In 2000-2001 I went over my od limit monthly.

However I am not sure anyone can remember but you account upon exceeding the OD limit was transferred to the collections department which took 2 weeks. whereby I couldnt deal with the branch because it had been transferred and i couldnt speak to collections because they hadnt received it. this caused me to run up further charges because nothing could get agreed.

Of course i got paid and the account went back to the branch which took 2 weeks. Mid way through the month I got hard up again and the account was transferred back.

I am sure there is a defence to be put here about

1) No-one was taking responsibility for the account as it was in cyberspace between 1 dept and another

2) I couldnt agree anything with anyone because the account kept getting moved.

Any thoughts on this?

to be honest this board, helpful though it was is starting to resemble very long threads hijacked by unrelated questions. I want to know and I think there should be a post to newcomers stating whether

a) we should continue

b) have people won since the lloyds win

c) whats the state of play now.

my message really looks at the banks management of my account in a different light.

The success threads are becoming a little hijacked and i cant see any wins since the victory.

I am about to relaim 1998-2000 next week so need to be sure this is still a goer as the court fee will be quite a bit.

thanks I am still lost. can i just start the ball rolling with the template mcol claim>

why did MCOl refer back?? i cant really get to the court so will have to be done.. i am surprised no-one can lend me a line to insert to allow the case to be issued,

however the threads on here are mindblowing, if someone knows of a thread that deals with statute barring this would be really helpful. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

OK i have done the MCOL requesting back just over £2k from 1998 to 2000. My local judge seems to be throwing out defences now from banks and in my claim i ststed that LTSB on 2 occassions told me they have no data byt then came up with it, so more evidence, i will send copies of the letters to MCOL with a schedule of charges. LTSB has notr responded to either my request for charges or the LBA.

my MCOL has been accepted this morning and issued. I have written to the court outlining the charges and proof that LTSB have twice fobbed me off about not having the data which i stated on my claim.

Hopefully they may wish to settle this one early in view of the embarrasing nature of their fobbing off. Also the local Judge through out the b'card defence as it was an abuse so you never know.

acknowledged today. just awaiting for the defence to say there is no way can i have the money cos its time barred.

• 2 weeks later...

defence registed with MCOL today (they seem to be acting fast!)

I am going to need help with this one as they will, I am sure try and rubbish my claim given the age (1998-2000) of the fees. fingers crossed for their response.

could one argue the visit by lloyds collections to strip me of my card could be used as an argument point when stating that if my bahavoiur was in the t&c's, then why would Lloyds come for my card at my home address?

Lloyds were served the claim on the 11th, they acknowledged on the 16th and defended today, my claim is going back to 98-01. should i be worried?

also realised that when calculating 8% i listed all charges and refunded charges by didnt knock off the interest on the charges that wew refunded (though it isnt clear from the statements which charges these relate to

have i fouled up?

afterall why would the bank take the cards back when i am within the t&c's