• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Very Troubled versus RBS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am concerned that having asked for interest alongside my charges last year, using moneysavingexpert calculator, of I think statutory interest (judicial interest in Scotland), this may land me in a difficult situation if my reclaim case goes to the courts here in Scotland.

RBS have offered me half of what I have claimed in charges. When on the phone with customer relations trying to strike a deal before my Rejection/Letter Before Action is sent in the next days, the women I spoke to seemed unmoved totally by the fact that I will move to take court action.

Is this because I have claimed interest when I shouldn't have, and as such, the judge will throw it out because I have been claiming interest in the preliminary letter, and Rejection/LBA, when statutory or judicial interest can only be claimed in court? Am I likely to lose because I have claimed too much than is fair; so my case is not a solid one? CAG says I can only claim such interest when raising my claim in court!!!

Consumer Action Group in all the templates says do not claim stat/jud interest before court, the RBS customer relations women said they didn't pay back interest, only money saving expert (MSE) last year encouraged people to do so in their templates letters and even provided a calculator for such a task!!

If my case is unstable, then should I?

1) Ask for only my charges in my Rejection/LBA - so move the goal posts because my original position is not legal

2) Continue to ask for charges plus judicial interest (if it's enforceable in law)

I will do number 2 if I am on the right ground here.

I've been through this website loads, but apologies if this has been asked before!

Thank you all

I would send them a new request just for the charges, then after 14 days send an L.B.A just for the charges then on the 28th day issue the court claim for all the charges + the 8% interest.

It may take you slightly longer, but it would clear your feet and get you back on track.

This is just my humble opinion though, and someone with more experience may know better.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice stevokenevo,

Just listened to the podcast on interest charges and it was quite helpful. I'd advise others to give that a shot too: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/podcast/cagcast1.mp3

So Stevo you reckon it's quite okay, to change what I'm asking for and just ask for the charges? Then after do as I should do and ask for the judicial interest 8% on day 28 according to the schedule? Means I'll ask now for less, then ask for more later.

Or,

If it is okay to change what I'm asking for I wonder if I should just go all out and follow the advice exactly on the podcast, and calculate my charges, calculate the contractual rate of interest, then finally add the judicial rate after 28 days? This would mean i'd be asking for more than I'm asking at present, as unauthorised borrowing (contractual rate) is higher than 8% for me?

So totally shifting the amounts I'm asking for; maybe this would be seen as the start of another claim, if I'm raising my amounts?

But,

The legal advice on the podcast did say that advisers used to advise people to claim 8% on their charges (which is what I've done) with the prelim letter for reclaim, and as that probably means asking for a lower final amount than I would have asked for if i'd chased contractual + judicial, then maybe I'm just as well to carry on with how I've done it so far. Meaning I just carry on with my LBA? The RBS might be more happy actually, because it means if it goes to court they will be forced to pay less.

So, means doing what I'm doing, and assuming as it was advice before it'll still hold water now?!

But as I said before, if this does not still hold strong legally then I'll look at

1) Doing exactly as you've told me to do

2) Taking my charges, working out contractual then sending prelim letter, then asking judicial interest 8% on day 28 in court papers?

My preferred option is no.2 if this could all be done and seen as the continuation of my claim, just with a new prelim letter.

I appreciate anyone's help on this

cheers stevokenevo and all.

hey,

sorry just meant to reiterate your advice "then on the 28th day issue the court claim for all the charges + the 8% interest."

Not thinking of sending 8% interest claim any earlier than when you said I should - just after new prelim letter with charges and contractual interest, and after LBA and all deadlines etc.

Anybody else with advice to help too?

cheers S,

thanks dollymop,

Adding 8% interest from the start is the way you're told to do it at money saving expert, and people seem to have had a lot of success this way. I just got a bit confused because the advice at CAG was outlining a different way to calculate interest.

But it seems both ways are successful - CAG and MSE - just the 8% interest from the start way is not going to see you with such a high total amount being claimed as the way CAG says you should do it.

So did you even have to send an LBA to RBS before you got your money?

Well done by the way, that's a decent amount you got back!

I'm in a real conundrum because the RBS have said I've 8 weeks to respond to their offer called "full and final settlement" (FSA timeframe the RBS say so I have to respond within 8 weeks or the case is dropped). And because I've been busy I've had no time to get back to them before now. Well that deadline looms soon, and I want to say I'm not accepting your offer, but I really don't think I'll be in Scotland for long enough if this goes the whole way through LBA, sheriff courts etc, given the time I've got to allow for each stage.

I just want to take what they've offered and get the rest back later when I'll be back in scotland for longer if the whole things going to be protracted. But not sure Ican just stop at this stage and start again later.

Any advice massively welcomed!

I'd also love to know if whether if I start again, I can recalculate interest using the CAG calculator and system, because that will give me a higher total, than the MSE system.

One more thing, the deadline RBS have given for me to respond is thursday 29th. If this is binding it's make my mind up tonight!!!!!!!!!

Cheers everyone, thanks dollymop

Hi lonepigeon,

I only sent one letter stating that we considered the charges to be illegal. I enclosed a print out of all charges (£3300 including 8% interest) and mailed it off on 2 March giving them a deadline of 14 days. Sixteen days later we received a letter from RBS stating that they did not consider the charges illegal, however, as a goodwill gesture they were prepared to offer £2,800. I know we could probably have pushed for more but my son was happy to accept the £2,800. I think that we were quite lucky - there was no other correspondence or telephone calls - just the one letter!

Regards,

Dollymop