• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Harrythehawk v Studio Cards

harrythehawk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a copy of the PPI Policy, apparently nothing is signed, it just gets added when you place an order ? The rate for this is 1.95% of the balance. Just waiting for explanation of service charges and then I can trawl back, take out all the charges they have given back and what the PPI should have been, if indeed it was ever agreed to. Also, clock is still ticking on the CCA criminal offence which happens 2nd March, will see what they come back with, still not paying anything and the DCA's silence is deafening !!

• 2 weeks later...

Still no response from Studio to various questions re PPI calculations, service charges and interest, SAR has expired now. The CCA clock is ticking and criminality will ensue shortly.

Got a letter from Legal & Trade today noting the payments made to them as per the SAR and noting the new "balance", still no CCA from them either so I am classing this admission they have collected money without a CCA and thus was illegal.

Not paying anything at all, will just sit back and wait for my response and time will be up before then me thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues and my position strengthens, Legal & Trde have complied with my SAR and blamed Studio for cashing my £10 & £1 fees on to the account, they haven't produced the CCA and have admitted they don't have it .....mmm .... and all those threatening letters from them and payments made to them ...... very naughty !! best bit was the data they hold for which I received printouts of their computer records with an explanation for each, got to go through exactly as I am sure I saw an Admin charge on there, however smile raised when I was described as an unknown third party, man was very rude ! Do I have a case for a slander claim here ... I wonder ? Anyway, still nothing from Studio themselves to explain anything, in the end we all know there is no CCA, will bide time until the "day of reckoning look this is how it is guys" letter and just keep them busy with queries until they actually answer them, money to more than the value of the goods has been paid over the years so conscience is clear !! ....... and of course ...... not a penny more will be paid !!

• 3 weeks later...

Any more updates?

links to my current claims ...

My claim - Yorkshire Bank Visa

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Chezt v RBS Joint Account

chezt v Abbey Credit Card

Settled ...

chezt V Duet Card/Creation Finance

chezt v's Studio Cards

chezt v's Littlewoods Catalogue

Next ...

Abbey Joint a/c & Single a/c

Barclaycard (Mine & Hubby's)

Anyone else I can think of ...! :rolleyes:

Not hijacking your thread but I am dealing with Studio now so I would like to see how this thread goes. I actually sent them a CCA on 6th March and have heard nothing from them at all. Received a statement and they have applied by £1.00 to the account. I shall carry on watching with interest, good luck. With regard to the PPI, I know I didn't tick the box but they applied it anyhow. When I asked who gave them permission they went quiet and they said do you want it cancelled?

Still not settled one way or the other, however Legal & Trade have now passed this back to Studio and are no longer going to be involved "promptly" and returned the £1 CCA request cheque !! (yay!) Studio themselves have written a token letter to say yep service charge equals interest and haven't provided a revised breakdown of the PPI calculation. Keeping my powder dry on the big go away letter as they still haven't come up with the fully executed CCA, nor have they asked me for any more payments, the withdrawal of Legal & Trade is a boost for me in this war, a battle won there and I can only think they have decided it is unwinnable and I am hopeful Studio will take the same view, still not paying anything, will wait to see what they come up with next then when I am ready and when I need to hit them where it hurts !!

Great news! Keep at 'em! :)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2 more months have passed without a sausage from Studio, have gone in with the "debt write off no CCA" letter yesterday so will sit back and see what happens, I am hopeful this will end soon as they appear to have already given up.

Will post next chapter when it happens ..... could be another 2 months who knows !!

Just to let you know what has happened with me. They couldn't provide a signed agreement and as the account was made up of charges I too told them I wasn't paying any more. They don't give up though. keep telling me that the admin fee is fair and OFT have told them they don't have to provide an exact copy of the agreement. I've also told them that they should not be processing data to the CRA's, but they don't seem to understand.

I'm sure this company is not on the same planet.

good luck with your write off, don't hold your breath though.

Might be worth checking your online account with them, I hadnt heard anything, so decided to register and they had credited my account, all i did then was ring em up and ask for a cheque, and it arrived in no time!! keep at em !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

• 3 weeks later...
Well I certainly won't, they don't have a leg to stand on, still not paying them anything though !!

Just wanted to post my support again .. I'm still watching :)

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

Well, I've not paid them anything for about 4 months but I keep getting a monthly statements with £20 admin charge each month. I can't believe these people. The whole of my account is made up of PPI which I didn't ask for, admin charges and service charges. I wrote to them weeks ago and heard nothing. I've quoted OFT's guidelines to them and still they don't get the message. I'm just not going to do anything else about it, they'll get fed up before I do.

Thanks Chezt, haven't heard anything yet but will post as and when it happens !! I did a similar letter to La Redoute and they threatened court action to which I sent a "welcome" letter, please do give me the opportunity to let the judge know about several offences they have comitted, having said that the solictors letter was from an almost identical post code and had a payment slip attached to the bottom so i didn't take it very seriously :)

Thanks Chezt, haven't heard anything yet but will post as and when it happens !! I did a similar letter to La Redoute and they threatened court action to which I sent a "welcome" letter, please do give me the opportunity to let the judge know about several offences they have comitted, having said that the solictors letter was from an almost identical post code and had a payment slip attached to the bottom so i didn't take it very seriously :)

Mmmmm :rolleyes:

chezt V RBS Mastercard

Settled ...

chezt v's Studio Cards

Next ...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Studio have come back, the response is a little desperate I think but basically reads that they won't enforce in court where the CCA non-compliance is a defence (good), they don't write off and consider the debt still payable and will continue to pursue it (so how will you do this then without a CCA or taking me to court ?). They will issue a default against my credit file and how terrible this will be for me. (not exactly a priority for me as it is shot to pieces anyway). Will take my time composing letters re Data Processing etc in due course and getting this removed, have more pressing things to clear up before then, however I think I can cross them off the list now and claim a battle victory in this particular war, a surrender has now been put forward and a peace still needs to be negotiated and final victory is to be claimed !!

Harry - I had the same sort of response. However, I have now complained to the ICO and CRA's. I also noticed a quote from a Laiste on another thread which I thought was useful. So bit the bullet and sent a Letter Before Action, quoting the following, but adapting it to my needs. I have paid hundreds over the years plus Service Charge, plus PPI and Admin charges. I am now awaiting their response with interest.

"QUOTE"

Catalogue debts are legally unenforcable. Your friend could do the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to see what charges have been levied, this could also be used to establish how much has been paid into the a/c over the lifetime of it and if your friend is so minded she could claim the entire amount paid plus the charges and compensation. Where credit is provided there must be a credit agreement, catalogues never provide one for you to sign, therefore the debt cannot be enforced.Your friend needs to do a CCA request, to obtain a copy of the credit agreement.They won't provide one, only excuses as to why they don't need to, which is rubbish!

Tell your friend to get copies of her credit file from experian, equifax and callcredit. They will probably have put something on one of them. This is defamation of character because you cannot record details on the CRA's files for a debt that is legally unenforcable!

I hope this is useful."

Good luck

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Just to let you know, nothing, nothing, nothing ....... have heard nothing since this last post, no letters, no phone calls, no court summons ....... nothing ..... that is so boring, well only another 5 and a half years to go until it drops off my wifes file !! My own file goes in the win box ... now gathering dust !!! :-)

Spooky, you just posting. I've just passing my file to FOS. The balance on my account in March was £1007. I've today received a red letter its now £1,128.87. they've been adding charges every month whilst the account is in dispute. Talk about digging themselves into a hole. I'm also having phone calls. I sent a list of charges to them and its £1285. so more than what I owe them, so I suggested to them to write the balance off and call it quits. Heard nothing from them and deadline passed today. I've passed it to the FOS so that Studio will get to pay another £400.00.:p