• Tweets

• Appreciate input Andy, updated: IN THE ******** County Court Claim No. [***] BETWEEN: LC Asset 2 S.A.R.L CLAIMANT AND [***] DEFENDANT ************ _________________________ ________ WITNESS STATEMENT OF [***] _________________________ ________ I, [***], being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;     I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in this claim.   1. I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much-reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already written off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimant’s witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment. As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party. 2. The Claim relates to an alleged Credit Card agreement between the Defendant and Bank of Scotland plc. Save insofar of any admittance it is accepted that the Defendant has had contractual agreements with Bank of Scotland plc in the past, the Defendant is unaware as to what alleged debt the Claimant refers. The Defendant has not entered any contract with the Claimant. 3. The Defendant requested a copy of the CCA on the 24/12/2022 along with the standard fee of £1.00 postal order, to which the defendant received a reply from the Claimant dated 06/02/2023. To this date, the Claimant has failed to disclose a valid agreement and proof as per their claim that this is enforceable, that Default Notice and Notice of Assignment were sent to and received by the Defendant, on which their claim relies. The Claimant is put to strict proof to verify and confirm that the exhibit *** is a true copy of the agreement and are the true Terms and Conditions as issued at the time of inception of the online application and execution of the agreement. 4. Point 3 is noted. The Claimant pleads that a default notice has been served upon the defendant as evidenced by Exhibit [***]. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 5. Point 6 is noted and disputed. The Defendant cannot recall ever having received the notice of assignment as evidenced in the exhibit marked ***. The claimant is put to strict proof to verify the service of the above in accordance with s136 and s196 Law of Property Act 1925. 6. Point 11 is noted and disputed. See 3. 7. Point 12 is noted, the Defendant doesn’t recall receiving contact where documentation is provided as per the Claimants obligations under CCA. In addition, the Claimant pleads letters were sent on dates given, yet those are not the letters evidenced in their exhibits *** 8. Point 13 is noted and denied. Claimant is put to strict proof to prove allegations. 9. The Claimant did not provide a true copy of the CCA in response to the Defendants request of 21/12/2022. The Claimant further claims that the documents are sufficient to pursue a Judgement and are therefore copies of original documents in their possession. Conclusion 10. Without the Claimant providing a valid true copy of the executed Credit agreement that complies with the CCA, the Claimant has no grounds on which to enforce this alleged debt. 11. The Claimant has been unjustly enriched at the expense of the Defendant by purchasing bulk debt at a greatly reduced cost and subrogating for the original creditor in trying to recuperate the full amount of the original debt 12. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. On receipt of this claim I could not recall the precise details of the agreement or any debt and sought clarity from the claimant by way of a Section 78 request. The Claimant failed to comply. I can only assume as this was due to the Claimant not having any enforceable documentation and issuing a claim in hope of an undefended default judgment.   Statement of Truth I, ********, the Defendant, believe the facts stated within this Witness Statement to be true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in it’s truth. Signed: _________________________ _______ Dated: _____________________
    • Morning,  I am hoping someone can help, I am posting on behalf of my friend so I will try and provide as much info as possible.  Due health reasons, she is currently not working and unable to pay her contractual car finance payments. She emailed 247 Money and asked for a 3 month payment holiday, they refused this straight away with no reasons as to why. They have told her that instead she can make a payment of £200. She is currently getting £400+ a month ssp so this is not acceptable. She went back to them and explained she cannot make this payment and they have not offered an alternative plan. Its £200 or she falls into default.  She is now panicking as she does not want her car to be taken away. What options does she have?  Thank you, 
    • Read these 6 things you can do to be empathetic to other people’s views and perspectives.View the full article
    • Peter Levy says he received a call from someone pretending to be from his bank in February.View the full article
    • Peter Levy says he received a call from someone pretending to be from his bank in February.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Issue with a table saw....damaged

yellowplum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So I treated myself to a table saw that I wanted for quite sometime. However the first one that I ordered finally arrived and was damaged.  It was damaged from the factory as someone had attempted to mask the damage by painting over it in the colour the surface is. 

However, after some back and forth I managed to get them to order a replacement, the replacement also arrived damaged. Now they have no stock to replace it with. They have told me they will refund it and I have to go buy it from somewhere else. 

The issue I have here is that I paid in vouchers so I can't do that. I would prefer to keep the item but I want something knocked off for it being damaged. They have stated they wont do that.  

I wanted to understand fully my position and what I can do?  

The item is from amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RWCCT7P

The original order was placed on the 8 March 2021, this order was cancelled as there was a technical issue with its despatch.

A replacement order was created 27 March 2021, this arrived damaged on the aluminium table top.  A replacement item was ordered, this was placed on 8 April 2021. This also arrived damaged in a similar way, the item has not been returned.  

Amazon still get confused with the first order as they keep stating for me to send it back (courier hasn't been to pick it up yet). As I contact them and ask them to resolve the situation all they do on chat is tell me to send it back to the. They advise they will escalate it to another department but as with today the latest reply was please use the label to return the item for a refund. 

Yet I have repeatedly stated in the chat this doesn't concern the original item which you have not collected yet, but the replacement. Which they state they will escalate. I just seem to go round in circles. 

The item was purchased at the time for £272.00

It was paid entirely in vouchers. 

They tell me that I can buy it again from another seller but I can't go elsewhere as it is in vouchers.  

I did attempt to contact Bosch and explain the situation, they did state they should be able to collect it and replace the top.  However, they haven't come back to me, I did chase them today but no response as yet. 

To be honest I am frustrated and at this stage the effort and time I have spent I would prefer to get my money back (as cash) and go buy a Dewalt one!

What is more frustrating is that Amazon (trying to be the most customer focused company as they keep telling me) are abysmal at handling anything other than the support from the idiots on the chat/phone.  There is no formal complaints process to escalate the issue. 

How best should I approach this?

The second one?  The first one they haven't collected it is still sitting here waiting for Hermes to pick it up. 

The second they didn't offer a returns label yet, to be honest they have done nothing with it. 

If I stick with the same model around £320 ish at the moment, if I change to the Dewalt (amazon don't sell it) £500 ish but it is a completely different model and better. 

However in either instance I have to be given cash to put towards it not amazon vouchers.

Yes, I have two of these currently at home - the first one they have still not collected and the second one that was the replacement that also arrived damaged but they haven't arranged a collection or done anything with. 

The vouchers were redeemed through a third party - they were just payment for participation in something - I had a choice of what to convert them to. 

Thanks for the very thorough response. 

To be honest, I didn't think it was going to be easy, never is and especially not with a company like Amazon who as you state don't have the process in place to escalate to a human to understand this. Merely having a 'bod' on chat who seemingly just regurgitates what the computer tells them to say. 

(Side note) - I also noticed we are no longer included in ADR schemes on the amazon web pages for the UK. 

To also clarify amazon have issued a returns label on the first damaged table saw, but this has not been collected by Hermes yet. It is currently sitting downstairs occupying 'space' along with the second one.

I would be happy to settle for a Bosch table saw.  They told me they can't order a new one as it is out of stock.  I think it is more prudent to stick to getting a Bosch Table saw in this instance and for amazon to supply it one way or another. 

Also I wanted to add something, I have spoken to Bosch themselves and they criticised amazons behaviour in this, they said they are looking at picking up the table saw and replacing the top that is damaged under warranty.  However this will take around 4-6 weeks (at the moment this is an option Bosch are looking into themselves independent of amazon).  If I do go down this option can I get any discount legally from amazon for the hassle?  Or is it still better to peruse them directly and not do this?

Thanks in advance

I didn't manage to speak to Bosch again, however I tried yesterday and they didn't call back.  I will call them again tomorrow.  I can also complete an online form to ask for a repair to the item.  However I will hold off on this and get them to do it verbally by calling tomorrow if I can, of course I will update. 

In the instance about the card, yes there is a card on the account. The only one on the account is an Amex which they can charge, I can remove it for the moment. 

In regards to the collection I spoke to them on chat and they have arranged another collection, however I did on this occasion take screen shots of the chat. 

In regards to the two letters, I will send the first tomorrow - I have drafted this....is this ok? 

Dear Sir or Madam,

REFERENCE:  (order No. /amazon.co.uk - Bosch Professional 0601B42070 GTS 635-216 Table Saw

I purchased a Bosch Professional 0601B42070 GTS 635-216 Table Saw  from 
amazon.co.uk. At the point of purchase I paid £271.99.

The Bosch Professional 0601B42070 GTS 635-216 Table Saw is not of satisfactory quality. The item arrived damaged. 

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with 
amazon.co.uk that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality.

As you are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 30 days I am within my statutory rights to ask for a full refund of the original cost paid.

You have issued a returns label for the item but have failed to collect it, I have on numerous occasions requested the item be collected.  If this does not happen within the next seven days then I will begin to charge storage charges of £5 per day.

Yours faithfully,

Better?

Dear Sir or Madam,

REFERENCE:  (order No. /amazon.co.uk - Bosch Professional 0601B42070 GTS 635-216 Table Saw

I purchased a Bosch Professional 0601B42070 GTS 635-216 Table Saw  from 
amazon.co.uk. At the point of purchase I paid £271.99.

The Bosch Professional 0601B42070 GTS 635-216 Table Saw is not of satisfactory quality. The item arrived damaged. 

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that goods should be as described, of a satisfactory quality and fit for the purpose. As Bosch Professional 0601B42070 GTS 635-216 Table Saw is not, you are therefore in breach of contract and I would like to reject the goods and request that you issue me with a full refund as I am notifying you of my short-term right to reject within 30 days of receiving the good

You have issued a returns label for the item but have failed to collect it, I have on numerous occasions requested the item be collected. Although you issued a return label for the item on XXX date, it has still not been collected. As you are aware, this is an extremely large and heavy item.
If you do not collect the item by XXX date then I shall start to impose a storage charge of not happen within the next seven days then I will begin to charge storage charges of £5 per day and the item will not be released to you until you have provided me with written agreement that you will pay the charge.

Yours faithfully,

Edited by BankFodder
Amendments

Update - Contacted amazon again and they have booked another collection and sent me an email to state the same that it will be collected within three days.  I have today issued the letter also regarding this first order rejecting it and requiring collection within 7 days. 

In regards to the second/replacement order, Bosch confirmed they will collect the item and check it hasn't been damaged.  They stated they may or may not replace the top part as it is cosmetic and may not restrict the functionality or use of the appliance. However, they stated that they will test it regardless and if found further faults they will replace it under warranty. 

I will wait and see what they do

They did highlight the fact that amazon should if it is only cosmetic and I am willing to accept this then refund part of it as damaged goods. 

I will send the second letter out over the weekend so as not to 'confuse' amazon as they seem to get very confused regarding the second order and rejecting that one however I saw your amendments, do I reject this replacement order in the same way and demand they refund it or alter the text to demand a replacement that is undamaged?

You said in a previous post to reject both of them as they are under the 30 days. To send two letters to amazon rejecting the goods under the act. 

The first letter I have sent regarding the initial saw that amazon are going to collect (for a second time). 

Bosch today agreed to collect the saw but haven't categorically agreed to repair it if the damage is only cosmetic and the part to replace is expensive.

So as I am within the 30 day period you advised I should send another letter to amazon regarding this replacement table saw stating it is also damaged and rejecting it. 

Is that not the case?

Unfortunately I sent the original letter yesterday before I saw your post last night.  No matter, I'll modify another letter based on the same and specify the second order number on it. 

One question here, do I mention compensation if they repair it?  Or leave that out at the moment and concentrate only on rejection if they don't do anything with it. 

The reason is that Bosch may not repair it and just say it works fine with the damage. 

Thanks 

The second letter was sent, needless to say currently no response from the first letter either.  Amazon still haven't collected the first saw it is currently sitting in the living room awaiting collection.  To mitigate circumstances I have contacted them on three occasions on chat to advise the item hasn't been collected. Taken screen shots of the chat, all they do is tell me they have requested another collection and to wait 48 hours, nothing else they can do. 

Ok the first letter was to amazon rejecting the first saw and advising them to collect it (still haven't even though to mitigate I have been on chat four times already to mention this and taken screen shots). 

The second letter (also to amazon) was regarding the replacement order, also reserving the right to reject if Bosch do not fix the table saw and deem it to be amazons fault for the damage.  - To remind you Bosch has collected the second one to see about fixing it. 

I have had the first saw sitting around since it was delivered,  around 1 April

Ok - sure - I wrote to amazon on the 21 April (recorded) and gave them until the 28th to collect it, have also been on chat twice to give them the opportunity to collect it.  They haven't, still sitting here - I did advise a £5 levy per day - so I'll start the clock - but as you say I will send another letter copy that first one in advising I am charging, if they do collect it ASAP then I will let that slide, if they don't then I will proceed as you suggest. 

In regards to the bosch (possibility to repair) have sent that letter also reserving the right to reject as you suggest.  

Oh I agree, I wrote on the 21 giving them until the 28, no response, no collection. 

I am going to write again tonight and enclose a copy of the first letter also and advise that I am now charging them (try to see if they get to pick it up sooner). 

Was thinking something like this....

I wrote to you on the 21 April 2021 (copy enclosed) rejecting my Bosch Professional 0601B42070 GTS 635-216 that I purchased from you at amazon.co.uk. 

I advised that after numerous attempts to have you collect this item that if it was not collected by the 28 April 2021 I would levy a charge of five pounds per day storage.

As you have failed to collect the item this levy is now being enforced.  I shall not be communicating again to ask you to collect this item. I advise you to collect the goods in order to mitigate the costs you will incur. 

(please feel free to alter). 

Interestingly this evening I’ve just had an email from Bosch to advise they will not be repairing the tablesaw but replacing it. I should receive it within 5 working days. 

fingers crossed this one is ok!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am back....with the update....

After two letters to Amazon no one has bothered to get in contact or collect the faulty table saw (as of the time of writing this). 

In regards to the one Bosch took back, they agreed to replace it - didn't have any stock and said that wouldn't be possible until June, however today I have an email saying they have decided to upgrade it to the slightly 'better model' and have sent that out,  fingers crossed that is good. 

As Bosch took the initiative and replaced the faulty unit with a new one that now leaves only the issue of the original unit from amazon that they never bothered to collect. 

How best to proceed from this point?

The first letter was dated 21.4.2021 and sent to them advising £5 charge, the second letter went 05.05.2021, on the original letter gave them until the 28.04 to collect it and they didn't. 

So if we count 28.04 until writing this 18 days @ £5 per day = £90

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have an update - today I received an email from amazon saying they have charged the card that was paid for the saw (even though I deleted it from the account). I have logged in and seen that a Pending charge is on my card. 

Needless to say they have no responded to any of the correspondence or collected the saw. 

I can't raise a dispute until the transaction gets posted to my statement at the present it has been authorised but only as pending, amazon haven't claimed the funds.  Once they claim it will appear and I can automatically go into my accountant raise the dispute uploading all the correspondence. 

I will not write to amazon (as the charge will probably show on the card fully in the next could of days) however I will go on amazon chat and also get a chat recording. Once the charge shows and I have raised a dispute then I will contact amazon again in writing as I will have the dispute reference number. 

Do I leave it as a dispute or do I issue proceedings after that?

I have now stored it since the 21 April since I rejected it - 28 April was the final date I gave before charing them £5 storage per day. 

Ok so a bit of a twist, I spoke to amazon on the chat, wrote everything that happened failed to collect blah blah, letter of x date, charges from this date etc. Now you have failed to collect and charged me. 

The response....

Sorry - have issued a refund and arranged another collection. It will be collected within 4 days. 

I went on to complaint that I was letting them have the saw back but they still have to pay the storage fees. 

Furthermore....we will pay the storage fees once it has been collected. 

• 1 month later...

I am back after so long, so the update here is that they STILL have not collected the other table saw. Secondly the charge they placed on my card was credited a few days later. 

My stance if you agree is to write to them one last time then advising I will dispose of the saw as they have failed to collect it.  Sell it and keep the money as they have to pay the storage fee.