Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I repeat, the seller has the right under the CRA to repair. That is exactly what they have offered.   The OP doesn’t even know what the fault is, you cannot simply reject if a light has appeared. OP is being completely unreasonable.   The CRA is designed to be fair to both parties, it is not one sided.         
    • I only got the car 3 weeks ago, had the car serviced as it was coming up to the service date and was advised by the garage that the Tyres were illegal so I think it’s cut and dry really. The fact is I was allowed to drive a car off the forecourt with 2 bald tyres and I was told by dealer the car had been checked and surely Tyres should have been part of the check.
    • Less than 100 miles not enough miles or time to wear the Tyres enough according to the garage. I’m more angry I could have got up to a £5000 fine and 6 points, what would the dealership responsibilities be then? 
    • If the OP follows king’s advice and then the neighbour’s roof leaks, who do you think the neighbour will blame? a) the dodgy “roofers” (who will be long gone), b) the OP for “damaging a perfectly good repair” (even if they don’t damage it, and it wasn’t a good repair!), or c) someone else   King may be technically correct, but the OP following their advice isn’t likely to end well if the neighbour is already ‘difficult’. 
    • I sent a SAR. which also provided a copy of proof of ID, last month to Northumbrian Water, and received no reply whatsoever.   After the 30 day deadline passed i sent off a complaint form to the ICO and sent a letter of claim to NW for breach of statutory duty. (As up until today they had failed to respond in any way to the request that was made)   Today i received a reply saying the my ID wasn't in the standard format and they could not accept it,   (The exact same copy of ID has not been an issue before and the exact same image was accepted perfectly fine by a previous energy company i SAR'd), and that they required i give them 2 forms of I.D, 1 from list A and from List B Along with questioning the alternative address like i mentioned above.   I wanted the request to be sent to the alternate address, as i work full time and i'm not always at my home address, i'd most likely not be in at a time when it can be delivered and can't get to the delivery office easily enough before it would be returned back undelivered. (Which i wanted to avoid happening again as this happened to the last SAR i made.) The address is my partner's address, where i regularly go and who also works from home and wouldn't have issues receiving/collecting mail.
  • Our picks

    • My personal experiences of Future Comms 
      Don't touch them owe me £500 since January 2019 make excuse after excuse. Seem they always have software problems sending money out. Keep saying they will call back or email nothing been chasing it now for 6 mths the phone staff always have the same banter we will chase it up and get back to you then nothing!
      • 0 replies
    • Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
        • Like
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.
      I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2026 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

What is bankruptcy?


Bankruptcy is a way of dealing with provable debts that outstrip your assets and that you have no realistic hope of paying. A court order is may be made which writes off your debts. This ends your liability to your creditors. Whilst you are bankrupt any assets that you have might be used to pay off your debts. After a period of time (usually one year but can be as long as 15), you will be discharged. Most of your outstanding debts are written off and you can make a fresh start.


How much does it cost?


The cost for bankruptcy is £525 (the deposit) plus £180 (the court fee). If you are on a low income or in receipt of certain state benefits you may be able to claim a discount of up to 100% of the court fee. There are no discounts possible for the deposit.


Do I have to attend court?


There is a court hearing, and generally you would need to go along. The court is a civil court, not a criminal one. It is usually the case that you would visit the judge in his or her chamber. This is a small room, the process is relatively informal. The judge does not wear a wig or a gown. The hearing usually lasts a few minutes.


What happens next?


An ‘official receiver’ is appointed to handle the administration of the bankruptcy. You are likely to be interviewed over the telephone. It is the official receiver’s job to deal with your creditors. In certain circumstances (for example if you own a lot of valuable items) a separate insolvency practitioner may be appointed to deal with your assets. The person who deals with your assets in bankruptcy is known as the ‘trustee’. If you would like to read more about assets in bankruptcy you can find out more via our fact sheet, here.


Goods are not seized, but if you refuse to use any assets to clear debt then bankruptcy will probably be refused.


I own my home, what would happen to it?


If you own property then this might be sold depending on whether it has any equity in it. If your partner and children live there then there are rules about how quickly this can happen. You share of the equity is called your ‘beneficial interest’. Once you have gone bankrupt, your beneficial interest in your home is transferred to the official receiver or trustee. If you are the sole owner then the whole of the value in the property is transferred to the official receiver or trustee.



With jointly owned property the official receiver or trustee is usually only entitled to the bankrupt person's share of the equity (that is their ‘beneficial interest’). Depending on your circumstances, you may be considered to have a beneficial interest even if you are not named on the mortgage. It may be possible for the joint owner or family and friends to make an offer to the official receiver or trustee to buy out your share of the equity. This can be particularly helpful if there is little or no equity. If you have no equity in the property, or if it is in negative equity, you may be able to keep the property. You would need to keep paying the mortgage and any secured loans, these do not get written-off as part of a bankruptcy order. If you would like to read more about the home in bankruptcy you can find out more via our fact sheet, here.


What if I rent my home?


If you rent your home, your tenancy agreement may allow your landlord to evict you if you go bankrupt. Check the terms and conditions of your tenancy carefully to see if your landlord can do this. If you have rent arrears from before the date of your bankruptcy order, your landlord can still take court action to evict you from your home. However, they cannot get the arrears back from you because they are a debt that will be included in your bankruptcy. If you build up any rent arrears after the date of your bankruptcy order, your landlord can take action to evict you and get the arrears back.


Will I have to pay anything from my wages?


If you have spare income (or ‘surplus income’) after paying ordinary household expenses, you may be asked to pay this money in to the bankruptcy for three years. This is known as an ‘income payments agreement’. You would still be discharged from the bankruptcy after twelve months. When looking at how much you could pay the official receiver will take into account essential expenses such as your mortgage, rent, household bills and housekeeping.



If your circumstances change then you need to tell the official receiver, as the agreement can be looked at again. If you do not pay, the official receiver can ask the court to order you to pay the instalments. This is called an ‘income payments order’. If you do not make a voluntary agreement then the official receiver can ask the court to make an ‘income payments order’. This will run for three years from the date of the order. You can ask the court to look at this order again if your circumstances change.


What are the effects of bankruptcy?


• You will usually have to close your bank or building society account when you are made bankrupt. You may be able to open another one as long as the bank or building society allows you to. You must tell the bank or building society that you are bankrupt. It is important to wait to open the account until after you have gone bankrupt. It is up to the bank to decide if you can open an account with them.


• Gas, electricity and telephone companies usually want you to pay in such a way that involves you not having credit. If you live with a partner you could transfer the account into their name. Sometimes a deposit is also asked for as security.


• In general, a business with little or no assets may be able to continue trading. A business with assets is likely to be forced to close if the official receiver decides that the assets should be sold to repay your creditors. You may be able to continue to be self-employed, but you may find it difficult if your type of work involves using credit of £500 or more. Credit can include being given time to settle bills, such as 30-day invoices.


• Depending on the type of job that you do, your employment may be affected. Always check your contract of employment to see if bankruptcy is mentioned. You can also ask your staff welfare officer or trade union if you are uncertain. If you belong to a professional body which does not allow you to be bankrupt, you could be struck off. For example, this may affect solicitors and accountants.


• Under the rules in the Consumer Credit Act 1974, your creditors will usually have to keep sending you annual statements, as well as arrears and default notices in a set format. This will happen even when you are bankrupt but should stop once you are discharged. Don’t worry; this does not mean that there is a problem with your bankruptcy. If you receive other letters demanding payment, you should take this up with the official receiver.


• Even after the bankruptcy period you may find it difficult to obtain credit. The bankruptcy order will be registered with credit reference agencies for at least six years. Even after this time you may be asked whether you have ever been bankrupt, when applying for some credit, particularly a mortgage. Details of your bankruptcy are also kept on the Individual Insolvency Register for three months after the date of your discharge from bankruptcy.


• Details of your bankruptcy are usually published in a trade paper called ‘The London Gazette’. Your bankruptcy details will not usually appear in your local paper. The official receiver may decide to advertise in exceptional circumstances if, for example, they think you have not told them about all your assets.


Whilst you are bankrupt it is a criminal offence to:


• take out credit of £500 or more without telling the lender you are bankrupt;

• use a new business name without revealing the name you were made bankrupt under;

• act as a director of a limited company without permission; or

• act as an insolvency practitioner.


What debts are excluded from bankruptcy?


Although your liability for most debts will be written off once you are discharged, there are exceptions to this. Even after discharge you will still be personally liable for:


• magistrates’ court fines;

• student loans;

• arrears of maintenance or maintenance payments ordered by a court;

• Child Support Agency arrears;

• debts you built up through fraud; and

• debts you owe as a result of a personal injury claim against you.


This is not a complete list of the debts that you will still have to pay after your bankruptcy ends


This information only provides a brief overview, it should not be considered as full bankruptcy advice. If you believe that bankruptcy is likely to be the best option to help you with your debts it would be vital to seek impartial advice from one of the debt advice charities such as the Citizens Advice Bureau , Stepchange, Christians Against Poverty or National Debtline .



It is important that you take note if you use the website of the above charities, there are look-a-like sites designed to fool you into thinking you have the real site but will charge.

Never ever give any payment details to anyone over the phone or on a website.


Further information:

The National Debtline bankruptcy fact sheet - NEEDS NEW LINK

How to petition for your bankruptcy - the Insolvency Service - NEEDS NEW LINK

A guide to bankruptcy - The Insolvency Service - NEEDS NEW LINK

What happens to my home in bankruptcy - The Insolvency Service - NEEDS NEW LINK

All bankruptcy-related Insolvency Service publications can be found here



Never pay for advice or use a company that asks for a fee. All required advice can be obtained without having to pay.

Edited by citizenB

For Free, Confidential and Independent advice: 0808 808 4000

Monday - Friday 9am to 9pm // Saturday 9.30am to 1pm // 24-hour voicemail. Please leave a message to request an information pack. http://www.nationaldebtline.org // http://www.mymoneysteps.org

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2026 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...