• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Monkeh v Smile ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I forget to post these threads when i make my claims, but my previous successes are in my signature.

Posted off my prelim for my old Smile bank account and loan on the 17th Oct.

Im going for contractual interest, current figure is £2902.17

I also filed a MCOL on Wednesday the 18th against Smile Credit card for £308.01.

These claims in particular are very important.

Im trying to get 3 defaults removed (one for each account, credit card/loan/bank) and also 3 CCJ's set aside.

Presently im trying to get them to grant permission to the set asides, im including it as part of my claims. This is the ideal route in my opinion, failing that i will have to apply to the courts.

All of the judgements are satisfied, but im trying to get them set aside on the grounds that i no longer agree with the full amount.

Oh and i will also mention that they took the whole 40 days to produce the SAR docs. :p

How do you calculate the contractural interest - it completely baffles me! :(

However, all my claims are done now, so guess I'm bu@@erd?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

crap

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

That would be great! I'll PM you my address!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Well my claim was issued on the 18th Oct, still no acknowledgement :/

My MCOL was issued on the 18th too, and also no acknowledgement. However on Monday (23rd October) Smile refunded just short of the LBA amount into my account. Emailed them to say too late - you now owe me the court fees plus interest.

Wonder what will happen next?

Haha, that's actually quite funny - make sure you do get the costs back!!

At the end of the day, if they breached your timescale, then thyy'll have to pay them!!

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Still no acknowledgement.

Strange really. Maybe this one slipped under the radar.

I still haven't received an acknowledgement either, although Smile paid me the LBA sum the day the MCOL would have deemed to have been received by them (23 October)! Strange co-incidence?

I emailed smile to inform them they were now legally obliged to pay me the section 69 interest plus court fees as they had not settled within my timescales. Got a 'will forward the papers to our legal team' type response on 24 October. Nothing since.

Only a week to go until you can request a judgement. I will have to check my position as Smile have obviously masde a part payment to me.

I still haven't received an acknowledgement either, although Smile paid me the LBA sum the day the MCOL would have deemed to have been received by them (23 October)! Strange co-incidence?

I emailed smile to inform them they were now legally obliged to pay me the section 69 interest plus court fees as they had not settled within my timescales. Got a 'will forward the papers to our legal team' type response on 24 October. Nothing since.

Only a week to go until you can request a judgement. I will have to check my position as Smile have obviously masde a part payment to me.

Smile have acknowledged today.

Smile have acknowledged today.

Well, you'll probably get a letter advising you of a full refund in the next few days then!! Well done....

My charges claims:

Default removals:

I was in a similar position on the timing and Smile paid all charges plus costs eventually. A defence was filed and they notified the court of full payment shortly after

22nd Sept MCOL filed vs smile bank :!:

27th Sept LBA amount paid by smile

6th Oct Full MCOL amount paid by smile

Result = :D

I was in a similar position on the timing and Smile paid all charges plus costs eventually. A defence was filed and they notified the court of full payment shortly after

Smile paid the o/s balance on my claim today.:D

Fantatic- well done! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Maybe ill have something in the post when i get home :)

Fingers crossed.

I have also posted two additional LBA's to smile today for the loan and bank account.

Hope you do have something in the post waiting for you.

I've got MCOL set up, ready to go next Monday, for my smile visa if the bank can't be asked to respond to my lba-within MY timescales.

Well i had the following in my post today.

"I write further to recent correspondence in relation to the charges that have been applied to your above number account.

I understand that Smile have been in the process of investigating your claim, but you have now taken the step to register the same through the Northampton County court for an amount of £308.01.

Although in our opinion we believe our charges are fair and transparent I enclose the Banks cheque in the sum of £308.01 in settlement of your claim"

It goes on to say that they will not be removing the default and not granting consent for a CCJ set aside.

Im about to fire a letter of to them accepting this as part settlement, and re-iterating my request for the default removed and CCJ set aside.

Fingers crossed.

To be honest, im more interested in the CCJ set aside than the money.

Did you out the default and ccj removals in your POC?

If you did, then accept the cash as part settlement, but advise them that the claim will stay in the court until the Default and CCJ are removed, as the balance included unlawful charges.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

yes i did.

This is what im sending them, any suggestions or improvements ?

Thank you for enclosing the cheque for £308.01 in relation to the unlawful charges imposed on my account, and my subsequent claim through the Northampton County Court.

I am informing you that I will not yet be advising the courts that my claim has been settled, as the payment itself is only partial settlement.

For my claim to be settled in full I require the following;

• Removal of any and all related defaults from all Credit reference agencies used by Smile, The Co-Operative Bank.

This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosities caused directly by the taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

• I require a letter from you granting your consent to have the Judgement registered against me set aside.

There are few circumstances in which a Judgement can be set aside, however I now only agree with part of the Judgement total as the majority was made up of unlawful charges. I was also unable to defend the Judgement due to work commitments.

Should you still decline to act on this, I will continue to pursue my claim and may also include a claim for compensation due to the negative effect this Judgement has had on my livelihood.

I am confident that a Judge will agree with my comments.

Good for you. Settlement cannot be conditional and they are in no position to dictate terms. I take it the default was for less than the amount of the charges,

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Caro said it all! :)

My charges claims:

Default removals: