Civil law; criminal law

Sparkles1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My energy company are threatening to install a prepayment meter and obtaining a warrant to do this. I understand the only access they are allowed, is to the actual meter. My meter is outside my property. If they obtain a warrant, they would bring a policeman/woman I assume to avoid a breach of the peace - is this correct?I am confused as to how they can mix civil and criminal law, and wonder if anyone knows whether they are acting illegally.They have already sent some heavy-duty threats about obtaining a warrant etc. and I'm really scared. Does anyone have any advice please.I have an ongoing dispute about the amount of the bill. I am currently paying small amounts but do not believe the meter is working correctly as the bills are now very excessive. I can't get any sense out of them, and am trying to establish the legal position so I know where I stand.Thanks in advance.

which legal position? meter is their property, and they would have a right to access it either voluntarily (with permission) or with authority. check their terms re when a prepaid meter would be justified and challenge that if appropriate/required. a civil matter would only involve criminal law if re a criminal offence becomes involved eg public order/breach of peace, but only re the criminal matter. they should only involve the police if they seriously think there would be any jip when going to install the prepay. don't be scared. re dispute, try to come to some arrangement. make an official complaint to them, and the ombudsman. otherwise, just let them put in a prepay under complaint and continue complaint therafter? they can always change it back after.

Edited by Ford