• Tweets

• Please read the following thread very carefully. It is extremely relevant where you are suing Evri on the basis of a contract which you originally made with Packlink who are domiciled in Spain. A judgement has been obtained and we have applied for transcript and it will be put up on this thread as soon as we receive it probably about the end of July. In the meanwhile, read this thread, see what has been discovered about the Packlink/Evri/customer relationship and look at the witness statement very carefully. It's a long thread but don't give up. Once you have the transcript of the judgement, then I will do a more careful and explanatory post here   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/459707-evri-lost-my-ebay-parcel-£844-court-claim-issued-judgment/
    • So if the breach occurred say Dec 2017 (first missed payment) and the default notice was issued Sept 2018 and the claim was issued 7th June 24 the claimant will of course be arguing it is within the limitation period (by 3 months)
    • Yep, I would  have brought up the other things like asking for their contract and receiving no response etc. but the mediation phone calls were rather short. Evri just said the contract was not with them (i said 1999 act response etc.) and the goodwill offer thing. Whole process took about 10 minutes in total. Seems like they don't even want to negotate in mediations anymore. "they're only given a certain amount that they can agree to in mediation per day" I mean its hard for me to say if thats the mediator paraphrasing or aa direct quote from evri I will look through that thread and share what I find, also for what its worth I also have everything I made for the previous claim WS and bundles etc. that I can tweak for this parcel, since it did go almost all the way to court and is a virtually identical case. that + this new stuff you shared above should be helpful to me
    • If I haven't referred to it before then please check out this thread another case where the claimant contracted directly with Packlink for a courier delivery service carried out by Evri. Please read this thread very carefully and eventually you will get to a point where the claimant – our OP – discovered some interesting terms and conditions and has referred to them in his case. He incorporated these into his witness statement and was given judgement – not on the basis of rights of third parties but on the basis of direct responsibility. I would suggest that use the witness statement as a model although we will want to see it before you file it off. When you find the particular post with the witness statement, please can you post a link to it here as well as a copy of the witness statement because I don't have the time to look for it at the moment and the thread is rather long. However it is very important to you and you should go through it very carefully indeed. We have applied for a transcript of the judgement and hopefully it will be along in six weeks or so. As soon as we receive it we will make it available on this sub- forum.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Redundancy Question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning

I have just been advised that my company is closing and we are all being made redundant. I started with the company on May 9th 2011 and my last day of work is 8th May 2013. I've been advised that I am not entitled to any redundancy money as I am one day short of the entitlement period:mad2:. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Many thanks

Assuming those dates to be correct, sadly you will be just shy of the redundancy entitlement period. What is the notice period that your contract entitles you to - statutory 1 week, or does the contract entitle you to more?

I have moved your thread into the Employment forum

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks - sorry but a further question which I should have asked is whether your contract entitles the employer to make a payment in lieu of notice - a PILON clause?

Obviously you will be paid for your three months notice period as per contract, even though you will only be working for one month of that, but as far as I am aware, whether the notice period counts towards length of service, therefore taking you past the threshold to qualify for a further two weeks wages by way of redundancy depends on whether PILON is permitted by contract. If not, then the employer may have to take the effective date of termination as the day on which your notice expires, therefor you will have completed two years service.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

There is nothing in my contract with reference to PILON. It just says that I am entitled to three months written notice and any unused holiday entitlement (as per the employees handbook), which I have never seen a copy of !

If your last day is in May then I presume that means you are currently working your notice? If so you are one day short. It would be worth a couple of weeks' gross pay if not though. Pretty rotten of them to time it the way they have, though...

In which case, I would say that your effective date of termination would be the date on which your three months notice expires. Where the employer requires you to leave earlier than this, the absence of a PILON clause creates a breach of contract, for which damages are payable. In this case, the breach of contract leads to a shortening of your length of service, and therefore a loss of a statutory redundancy payment in addition to the remainder of the notice period also being payable.

The other potentially advantageous point is that where there is no PILON clause, any pay in lieu of notice would generally be payable tax free (subject to certain thresholds), as damages are not subject to income tax or National Insurance.

Worth putting this in writing and challenging the assertion that you are not entitled to a redundancy payment.

DONATE HERE

Yes it is pretty rotten and we are only a small company - 30 employees in total - being closed down by our multi national owners. We are currently in consultation so my notice period starts on 9th May

If your last day is in May then I presume that means you are currently working your notice? If so you are one day short. It would be worth a couple of weeks' gross pay if not though. Pretty rotten of them to time it the way they have, though...

Ah - the cavalry has arrived! Becky - is my understanding of this correct?

DONATE HERE

Yes it is pretty rotten and we are only a small company - 30 employees in total - being closed down by our multi national owners. We are currently in consultation so my notice period starts on 9th May

If that's the case then you're entitled to pay in lieu of notice plus your statutory redundancy if you've hit two years by that point!

Hi - have just checked again and there is definitely no PILON clause on my contract - will have to check tomorrow to see if there is one in the employee handbook, but have never seen one so will have to ask for it!

Can I just test my understanding - basically as they are not giving me the opportunity to work my notice, therefore adding to my period of employment, and as there is no PILON clause in my contact my notice period counts towards my total time?

Just had a look at this point.

Section 145(2)(b) ERA 1996 seems to imply that, provided they pay you correct notice, you can't add on statutory notice to take you over two years. However, if they pay you no notice, then you could. Unfortunately therefore it sounds like your employer could be correct, but only if your employment terminates on or before 8 May.

Section 145(2)(b) ERA 1996 seems to imply that, provided they pay you correct notice, you can't add on statutory notice to take you over two years. However, if they pay you no notice, then you could. Unfortunately therefore it sounds like your employer could be correct, but only if your employment terminates on or before 8 May.

Thanks for this - I think I will challenge them based on the PILON clause anyway - at least now it sounds as if I know a little of what I am talking about! We are currently in consultation so I have the chance next week during our individual meetings to bring it up

But if the contractual notice is three months, and the employer only gives one month (as they seem to have here), then surely S.145(2)(a) ERA applies and the termination must occur on the expiry of the notice period? If the employer has not given the notice permitted by contract then surely damages are payable for the breach, which would include rights which would have accrued had the correct notice been given?

Perhaps I am reading or interpreting it the wrong way!!

DONATE HERE

But if the contractual notice is three months, and the employer only gives one month (as they seem to have here), then surely S.145(2)(a) ERA applies and the termination must occur on the expiry of the notice period? If the employer has not given the notice permitted by contract then surely damages are payable for the breach, which would include rights which would have accrued had the correct notice been given?

Perhaps I am reading or interpreting it the wrong way!!

Sorry - maybe I have confused things. Just to clarify. We are currently under consultation (advised April 4th) and our office will close on May 8th - up to that date we are paid normally. My letter from the company states I will be paid my three month notic period (in lieu of notice, although there is no PILON clause in my contract). if I were to work my notice it would take me up to 8th August

But you can't be made redundant or given notice until the consultation process is complete? So, if the consultation is a foregone conclusion and the workplace is closing, you must have already been put on notice that you will be redundant and therefore already working notice?

DONATE HERE

It's been presented as a "proposal" at the moment to close our office on 8th May and my letter tells me I will receive 3 months payment in lieu from then. I also questioned holiday pay and was advised I would get any accrued holiday up to the end of my notice period

I think this is two years continuous service. You worked the day of 9 May 2011, so at the end of 9 May 2011 you had completed one day's work. We also count the day of 8 May 2013 since you will work that day. If we said a year's service ends on 9 May each year then you would have worked 366 days in the first year. Accordingly, I think you have exactly two year's service on 8 May 2013.

A very similar point was litigated in the case of Pacitti Jones v O'Brien in the Employment Appeal Tribunal. In this case the employee started work on 8 April 2002 and her notice period expired on 7 April 2003. There was a dispute about whether the employee had one year's of service needed to make an unfair dismissal claim. The Tribunal decided that the employee had been continuously employed for a period of "not less than one year" as required by Section 108 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 and was able to proceed with her claim. I cannot find an example of a case in which the point was specifically litigated in relation to the two year limit for redundancy, so I accept I could be wrong. However I think the result is very likely to be the same, the language of Section 155 of the Act concerning redundancy is very similar to the language for unfair dismissal, and also the definition of "continuous employment" is the same for both sections.

For this reason, I think you will be entitled to a statutory redundancy payment. No doubt your employer has timed this to avoid making the payment, or so they think, so I imagine they will try and dispute it. If I was in your position I would not mention this until you have finished work. I would then write a letter to the employer asking for a redundancy payment and explaining the case above. I would then start ET proceedings if the payment was not made.

• Haha 1