• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cabot and Citi Card debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Stonelaughter and my apologies for the delay in reply ( I've been in Germany watching the footy - had tickets to England / Sweden ! Now back to the real action!

Am writing to Cabot again requesting as you suggest.

Interestingly I have just received a letter from them stating that " failure to resolve this outstanding debt would result in commencement of one of the following actions being taken: ( I have a choice? !!)

1) Instruction to an external agent to call on me

2) A warrant of execution

3 A charging Order

4) An attachment of earnings order

5)Order to obtain information.

FAILURE TO RESPOND NOW ENSURES THE COMMENCEMENT OF ONE OF THE ABOVE

Which one should I choose? !!

idjuts!

1) Instruction to an external agent to call on me

2) A warrant of execution

3 A charging Order

4) An attachment of earnings order

5)Order to obtain information.

LMAO... they have just pulled those things out of some random court manual somewhere... Does the letter look like a court letter? If so they're breaking the law anyway...

No it's not an official looking letter at all, just one on their headed paper and the 1-5 points in capitals.

As a matter of interest, I have now sent a DPA / SAR to the Credit Card Company CitiFinancial as there are unlawful charges on the card. I won't know how much until I receive the statements. The total debt is just over £900 and there will be at least half of that in charges I am sure.

There are two points which have conflicting thoughts throughout various threads. Cabot bought the debt from Citi so I was under the impression that Cabot bought warts and all and would be responsible for settling any unlawful charges applied even before CitiFinancial sold it to them. However, some say Cabot ( or the DCA ) are only responsible for any unlawful charges made AFTER they bought the debt and all previous Credit Card charges should be sought from the Credit card company itself.

Have you any consoliodated thoughts yourself or are you aware of any consensus of opinion?

Would you suggest I told Cabot that the account is in dispute with Citi and then deal with Citi over the charges? I think by doing this it will freeze Cabot's involvement until the dispute is resolved if I am correct.

Sorry, but what is LMAO?

LMAO is "Laughing my A$$ off"... Sorry :p

As regards unlawful charges before the debt was sold, I would say that Citi would be responsible for refunding those (if you've subsequently paid them of course; if you haven't then I would suggest that having the debt unenforceable is enough; in which case you won't need the DPA stuff from Citi).

So in summary - if you've paid more than the amount of unlawful charges already then I would suggest claiming them back; if there is a significant proportion of the debt left which could all be attributed to unlawful charges, I would suggest leaving well enough alone until Cabot screw up and don't send you the copies of original paperwork in response to your correctly worded and formatted CCA request and £1 PO. Once they have defaulted (which I've no doubt they will) then you have no case to answer; a complete defence.

Thanks Tom - I've just LMAO at what it meant! This site never fails to amuse me - you learn something every day!

Okay, I'll do as you suggest, but I have already sent my DPA off to Citi - anyway I'll follow the Cabot route first and if you are right, which you probably are the whole thing will die! Thanks then I can LMAO all the more !

I believe this is the template is it not? Does the fact that I have paid them some repayments make any difference to the fact that I do not acknowledge the debt to them - if I didn't why would I be paying them? Anyway take a look and let me know if you think it's okay..

Lindsey Thomas

Recoveries Manager

Cabot Financial

PO Box No.241

West Malling

Kent ME19 4NA

Dear Ms Thomas

Your reference:xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Firstly, I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company. I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, PO Serial Number xxxxx.

2. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

Yours sincerely

Andrew1

By the way, I didn't find this in the Templates thread I found it in the Debt Collection Agency thread. Maybe it could do with going in with the templates.

Just as an additional, the 087 range has enough public recognition that only a particularly stupid DCA would use it (in my opinion).

I brought an 0870 number and use it as my contact number in dealings with all commercial organisations. They get charged national rate and I get 2 pence per minute. It has cut down on the amount of junk phone calls I get no-end!

I brought an 0870 number and use it as my contact number in dealings with all commercial organisations. They get charged national rate and I get 2 pence per minute. It has cut down on the amount of junk phone calls I get no-end!

Sounds like a brilliant idea! May I ask how much they cost & where I can get one please? :D

Sounds like a brilliant idea! May I ask how much they cost & where I can get one please? :D

Google it :)

0870 numbers - Google Search

• Confused 1

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

Be wary though - Ofcom ruled a couple of months ago that they are not happy with people earning money from 0870 numbers and by the end of the year the earning capacity could be gone.

Still - the companies still don't like calling 0870.

I'm happy enough to pay £9-95 for the pleasure of stringing out the conversation as long as I can, hjappy in the knowlege that it is costing the "fatherless ones" an arm & a leg to harrass me! :D

Thanks for the tip about Ofcom but I will take my chances with them!

WOW! Thank you so much!! I just looked & for £9-99 for LIFE I can have an 0870 number that earns 4p a minute!!! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!! :D

Why not get a Premium Rate one and get them paying £1.50/minute ;) that woujld really wind them up :)

Chrismc v Vertex Data Science Ltd

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Won - Settlement Agreed at 11th Hour.

Philips Bailiffs

Lost - Judge changed at last minute, it didn't help!

G-MAC Early Redemption Charges Waived

Won - Early Redemtion Fees Waived in Full.

following on from my posts further up ,I sent a copy of the CCA from here to JD williams(1st Credit ltd) for a £30 debt that has escalated to £200 with charges. a company called reliable collections responded saying"please find enclosed an itemised list of the following details as requested. staements issued, charges applied, goods despatched, returned and payments received. In relation to your request for a copy of the executed agreement under section 78 of the CCA, I would refer you to regulation 3(2)(b) of the Consumer Credit(cancellation notices and copies of documents)Regulations 1983. Init you will see that there is no requirment to provide a photocopy of the agreement bearing your signature; it is sufficient that we supply details of the Terms & conditions to which you have agreed. I am therefor enclosing a copy of the type of Credit Agreement sent to you when you opened your account in 2003. All future correspondence should now be sent to First credit Ltd."

that was where i sent the CCA letter anyway so why reliable are writing(i've never heard of them) i've no idea.

anyway enclosed with letter is a copy of transactions and a copy of a credit agreement with no signature on it. but clearly an agreement that should be sent out and signed.

what does this gobbledegook mean? all the reference to cancellation notices etc?

and why would an agency that i didn't contact, contact me about a letter sent to 1st credit.......my head hurts!!!

Consumer credit (...) regulations 1983. Hmmm. Sounds like flannel to me.

If they have not sent you a copy of the signed credit agreement after 30 days then I would report them to trading standards... simple as. They are trying to flannel you into backing down IMO.

I couldn't find it either... although apparently it DOES exist. I would wait for someone like Bankfodder, RBrears or Don Quixote to answer this; it looks a bit scary for me. However, as far as I'm concerned s.77(1) and s.78(1) have not been amended out of existence... so you should be OK with the normal request. They MAY be allowed to send you "the same type" of agreement which you may or may not have signed; but that does not IMO make you owe them the money... only an agreement signed by YOU is legally binding on YOU.

reliable collections

Thats a joke :D

anyway enclosed with letter is a copy of transactions and a copy of a credit agreement with no signature on it. but clearly an agreement that should be sent out and signed.

Surely if they have sent a copy of a Consumer Credit Agreement which has NO signature it is not legally binding? Otherwise we could have dodgy salesmen filling in agreements willy nilly and just processing them as they see fit.

I have sold finance which comes under and are governed by the CCA 1974 and never ever did the agreement/finance etc get approved unless the documents were signed and every little thing checked out and all the right boxes were ticked. The finance companies were very thorough on these things.

It may be a little different for small priced consumer goods agreements but even then the very least you need is a signature from the consumer to say they agree to the terms and conditions.

I would stick to my guns and tell them in the absence of a signed CCA you do not acknowledge the debt is owed. All likleyhood is they cannot supply one. If they can't it is their tuff luck.

Chris

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

that's what my gut feeling is as well, so thanks. I do want to make sure though so that i get it right when i reply. Incidentally the copy agreement they sent didn't even have my name and address on it, never mind my signature. It was a blank copy with a creditors signature on it. so Bankfodder, Don Qioxote & RBrears et al.........help. What the heck is this Consumer Credit (cancellation notices & copies of documents)regulations 1983 that they refer to and does it supersede the CCA ? If it doesn't what should I say to these liars...cos i don't want them getting off with misrepresentation. also shouldn't i have been told that the debt was with them...which i never was, first i knew of them was the letter. The £30 debt had been passed onto 3 different companies and i wrote to all 3 requesting agreement and copy of deed of assignment, all 3 have replied saying it has been passed back to original creditor(JD Williams/first credit) so where reliable came from i've no idea. anyway i'll wait on your advice. thanks in anticipation.

all 3 have replied saying it has been passed back to original creditor(JD Williams/first credit) so where reliable came from i've no idea. anyway i'll wait on your advice. thanks in anticipation.

In that case why are they still pursuing you?? tell them as clearly stated by them it has been passed back as they have indicated this in writing you, So, you will deal only with the original creditor, unless they can prove to you the debt was sold on (eg copy of the letter stating that) and there was a CCA signed by yourself.

I don't think they can take this much further legally, but that does not mean they won't threaten!!

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6493 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks