• Tweets

• good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
    • The clock is ticking for savings providers. They now have just a few weeks left to get their act together and start offering loyal customers a good deal.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Cap1 & CCA return

tamadus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also it is not possibe to include the prescribed terms in the agreement so it is unenforceable anyway since they wil not have allocated your credit limit.

Hi all

Not really wanting to put a spanner in the works but with regard to the credit limit on a regulated running-account agreement, the OFT information doc. on form and content states:

Financial and related particulars

The following information must be shown together as a whole and not interspersed with any other information, apart from cross-references to terms of the agreement and subtotals of the total amount.

3 The amount of credit to be provided under a fixed-sum agreement (for example, a cash loan) or particulars of the credit limit under a running-account agreement (for

example, a credit card).

The credit limit can be expressed as:

a a sum of money, or

b a statement that the trader will, under the agreement, periodically determine the credit limit and notify the customer, or

c a sum of money together with a statement that the trader may, under the agreement, periodically vary the credit limit and notify the customer, or

d if (a) (b) or © above are not appropriate either a statement indicating how the credit limit will be determined and notified to the customer or a statement that there is no credit limit.

Office of Fair Trading 9

I believe that this can be shown in the T&C doc. provided that the copy of the T&Cs is given to the debtor at the start and is referred to in the main agreement document.

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o....l#post53879 9

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Peter

The OFT doc. has an explanation of definitions of some terms in the Act and agreement is defined as:

the agreement is the document embodying the credit agreement.

‘Embodying’ is defined in the Consumer Credit Act:

‘A document embodies a provision if the provision is set

out either in the document itself or in another document

referred to in it’.

Regards, Pam

VITAL - IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE ABOUT THE INCREASED BAILIFFS' POWERS TO BREAK INTO YOUR HOME AND USE FORCE IN ORDER TO GET YOUR GOODS THEN JOIN THE PETITION HERE:

Anyone seeing this who wants to help by copying it to their signature please do.

As far as s59 is concerned, I don't think that would apply to an application form for a credit card in the sense that you are suggesting.

An application for a card involves the issuer doing a credit check before accepting the application but in my opinion this is no different than a scenario where a customer signs an agreement in a trader's store (for example) and the agreement is then sent to a separate finance provider. The lender will still do a credit check etc. so the agreement will still be dependant on the lender's acceptance.

The main issue I see with application forms is whether or not they contain (or refer to) all of the prescribed terms and whether copies have been given in accordance with s63:

63 Duty to supply copy of executed agreement

(1) If the unexecuted agreement is presented personally to the debtor or hirer for his signature, and on the occasion when he signs it the document becomes an executed agreement, a copy of the executed agreement, and of any other document referred to in it, must be there and then delivered to him.

(2) A copy of the executed agreement, and of any other document referred to in it, must be given to the debtor or hirer within the seven days following the making of the agreement unless—

(a) subsection (1) applies, or

(b) the unexecuted agreement was sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature and, on the occasion of his signing it, the document became an executed agreement.

I can't remember if any of my application forms where pre-signed by the creditor or not so I'm not sure which part of this applies.

Regards, Pam

Conclusion

We invite further submissions from the Secretary of State on the form of the declaration of incompatibility to be made. It may be of assistance, however, if we indicate our present view. We think that it would be appropriate to declare that, having regard to the terms prescribed by regulation 6(1) of, and schedule 6 to, the 1983 Regulations (S.I. 1983/1553), the provisions of section 127(3) of the 1974 Act, in so far as they prevent the court from making an enforcement order under section 65(1) of that Act unless a document containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement has been signed by the debtor or hirer, are incompatible with the rights guaranteed to the creditor or hirer by article 6(1) of the Convention and article 1 of the First Protocol.

We allow the appeal against the order made on 24 September 1999 for the reasons given in our interim judgments of 23 November 2000.

The story continues

Hi Terminator

The judgement you have just quoted is that of the Court of Appeal in relation to Wilson v FCT. This was later overturned by the House of Lords where it was declared that the relevant sections of the Act are not incompatible to the HRA and remain in force at present. This is why the new CCA 2006 has repealed some of s127 because it was nevertheless felt to be unjust in some circumstances. This comes into effect in 2008 I believe.

Regards, Pam

The difference is th creditor does the credit check then you sign at the momoent you sign it, it becomes executed

I have signed agreements on trade premises in the past where the agreement was not pre-signed by the creditor. It was then sent to the credit provider for approval who signed it after me. This is when those agreements became 'executed' which is similar to the credit card application process.

Regards, Pam

I'm aware that it was overturned by the House of Lords in 2003 on appeal by the SOS.It was brought back to the COA in 2005 and again they allowed Wilson's appeal.I personally think that Lords decesion was wrong because it would have started an uprising similar to what's happening now.

Hi again

I think you may have got your wires crossed here a little. :-)

The COA initially allowed Wilson's appeal but made a declaration that the part of the CCA that had allowed her to win was incompatible with the Human Rights of the Lender because a small technicality had taken all his rights under the agreement away.

This then went to the HL in 2003 who declared that the requirements of the CCA did not impinge on the lender's human rights and that the CCA regulations (s127, s61) that had protected Mrs Wilson were necessary (albeit harsh on the lender) in order to give borrower's protection against unscrupulous lenders.

The HL judgement was the end of the matter and was in favour of the borrower.

The COA cannot override a HL decision.

However, the repeal of some of s127 in the 2006 version of the CCA has now removed that perceived 'harshness' to the lender and has given the court's the power to allow (in some circumstances) enforcement of an improperly executed agreement.

The HL judgement did however bind the courts to interpreting the legislation within the main objective of the CCA, which is the protection of borrowers not the lenders.

Regards, Pam

Surely as the T&C's are referred to in the document, they make up the executed agreement and the fact the have been omitted means they have not yet complied with your request?!

Hi

If the T&Cs are a separate document but make up part of the agreement then they must be sent as well. This should be the T&Cs that were in force at the time the agreement was executed.

Regards, Pam

Well the CCA states in s78

78 Duty to give information to debtor under running-account credit agreement

(1) The creditor under a regulated agreement for running-account credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of £1, shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it.

So if the agreement refers to T&Cs then they are required to send that part too!

Regards, Pam

hi

The agreement is enforceable albeit with a court order with only the debtors signature and the prescribed term. Section 127(3)

Yes, this is yet another grey area that needs clarifying!

Regards, Pam

Yeah, I know what you mean. :)

The only worrying thing stemming from this judgement in my opinion is the fact that it took so much judicial input to interpret just one aspect of the CCA!

If the judicial system has to comb through it like a forensic investigation then what chance do we poor mortals have of understanding what it really means! :confused:

Regards, Pam

ISection 55

55 Disclosure of information

(1) Regulations may require specified information to be disclosed in the

prescribed manner to the debtor or hirer before a regulated agreement is made.

(2) A regulated agreement is not properly executed unless regulations under

subsection (1) were complied with before the making of the agreement

Makes sense realy otherwise they could legaly alter the document after you had signed it.

This is also mentioned in the oft regs quoted earlier

Regards

Peter

Peter

I think this refers to prescribed information that may (for one reason or another) not be included in the main document. It doesn't say that the creditor must sign it before the borrower does. Different situations dictate who gets to sign it first and either way is okay.

I think section 62 was included to cover the risk of tampering:

62 Duty to supply copy of unexecuted agreement

(1) If the unexecuted agreement is presented personally to the debtor or hirer for his signature, but on the occasion when he signs it the document does not become an executed agreement, (i.e. creditor has not yet signed) a copy of it, and of any other document referred to in it, must be there and then delivered to him.

(2) If the unexecuted agreement (not yet signed by creditor)is sent to the debtor or hirer for his signature, a copy of it, and of any other document referred to in it, must be sent to him at the same time.

(3) A regulated agreement is not properly executed if the requirements of this section are not observed.

Regards, Pam

The COA cannot override a HL decision.

Sorry the ternminator was right the COA did overturn the judjes decision.

The judge rejected Wilson’s first claim but reopened the agreement and

substituted a lower rate of interest, and Wilson subsequently redeemed her car on payment of £6,900. However, she then successfully appealed against the judge’s decision as to the enforceability of the agreement, the Court of Appeal holding that s 127(3) clearly and undoubtedly had the effect of preventing the enforcement of the

original agreement and Wilson was entitled to the repayment of the money she had paid to redeem her car

Hi Peter

The COA allowed Wilson's appeal against the judgement of the 1st instance judge (who had declared the agreement enforceable).

However, the COA also made a Declaration of Incompatabiity between s127(3) and the Human Rights Act because the lenders rights were effectively extinguished by the application of that section.

This then went to the House of Lords where the Secretary of State was joined to the proceedings. The House of Lords declared that s127(3) was not incompatible with the HRA and that Wilson was entitled to the judgment made by the COA.

The Terminator said:

I'm aware that it was overturned by the House of Lords in 2003 on appeal by the SOS.It was brought back to the COA in 2005 and again they allowed Wilson's appeal.

This is not correct. The HL did not overturn the COA judgement. It dealt with the HRA issue and decided this in Wilson's favour.

The HL is the highest judicial court in the UK and could never be overruled by the COA.

The debtor must be the last to sign otherwise how can he/she be sure what they are agreeing to. It's all there in the act and the regulations.

Regards

Peter

The debtor does not have to be the last to sign -many agreements are signed by the debtor first. This is why s62 was included - so that a debtor is always given a copy of the unexecuted agreement before it is signed by the creditor. This is to ensure the debtor holds a copy of the actual agreement he signed.

S63, on the other hand, deals with the situation where a creditor has signed first.

Regards, Pam

many agreements are signed by the debtor first.?

Yes i have had those a blank piese of paper with a sig box at the bottom with a note attached saying just sign we wil fil the rest in later.

Peter

Hi Peter

I really do not want to ruffle anyone's feathers so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

With regard to your post above, no-one in their right mind would sign a blank piece of paper but if they did the CCA covers this by s62/63 - a copy has to be given to the borrower there and then. So if there is any dispute, he has the original!

Regards, Pam

Hi all

Re: credit limits on credit cards:

3.10 How should the credit limit be expressed?

Sch 1 para 8 requires a statement of the credit limit under a running-account credit agreement. This must appear as part of ‘Key Financial Information’.

The credit limit may be expressed as one of the following:

• a sum of money;

• a statement that the credit limit will be determined by the creditor from time to time and notified to the debtor;

• a sum of money together with a statement that the creditor may vary the credit limit from time to time and notify the debtor;

• a statement indicating the manner in which the credit limit will be determined and that notice of it will be given to the debtor; or

• a statement indicating that there is no credit limit.

It does not therefore need to be expressed as a sum of money, although the OFT would encourage this in the interests of transparency.

The Office of Fair Trading Consumer Credit (Agreements etc) Regs draft FAQs 36

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Regards, Pam

Hi Smoothy

The regulations apply to the form and content of the agreement. The card issuer normally notifies you of your initial credit limit when they send the card.

Regards, Pam

I know what your saying Pam, but my point is, if its to be sent on a separate piece of paper, surely its your word against theirs that you received it and if you didnt receive it, they have the opportunity to alter it in their favour. Not that I would dare to assume that these marvelous financial institutions that have put the Great into Britain would stoop so low as to commit fraud........

The credit limit is a variable anyway and the creditor can increase/decrease at any time upon giving of notice.

I think you may be confusing this issue with an agreement for a loan where the money is given to you up front.

The credit limit only determines the total amount that you may spend if you want to. It doesn't indicate that you have committed to paying back that sum.

Regards, Pam

Hi Tamadus

DRAFT 29/4/05

Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 as

amended by the 2004 Amendment Regulations

Consumer Credit (Disclosure of Information) Regulations 2004

Consumer Credit (Early Settlement) Regulations 2004

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

April 2005

OFT786a

Regards, Pam

Hi all

I would not like to think that any members here get the impression that I am siding with the lenders by posting up arguments against your collective thoughts.

I am 100% WITH YOU but would hate to see anyone incur large costs/distress/retaliation by starting a fight with these institutions that is not grounded in fact and law.

I have a worry that the available copy of the 1983 regs (i.e. the amended 2004 version) is being relied upon in the argument that credit limit/apr etc. must be shown on one document. This is now shown in the 'Key Financial Information' box.

Prior to the publishing of the 2004 regs (with amendments) I searched in vain on the internet for the original 1983 regs.

I just have a horrible feeling that in the original regs. (which would govern all agreements entered into before new regs. came in to force) there was no requirement for all the terms to be on one single doc.

Has anyone got a copy of the original regs?

I would like nothing better than to have a bomb-proof case against my creditors but having already been through a three-hearing battle with a creditor over improperly executed agreements (won in the end!) I know that you have to be absolutely certain of your facts.

Regards, Pam

Hi

Overdrafts are covered by the CCA but are exempt from some of the requirements.

Regards, Pam

Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 as amended by the 2004 Amendment Regulations

1.2 Are any agreements excluded from the Regulations?

S74(1) CCA provides that Part V of the Act (apart from s56) does not apply to:

• a non-commercial agreement – see Q1.3;

a debtor-creditor (d-c) agreement enabling the debtor to overdraw on a current account, insofar as such agreements are covered by an OFT determination under s74(3) – see Q1.4;

The above agreements are therefore excluded from the application of s61(1) relating to the execution of regulated agreements – see Q1.12.

However, by virtue of s74(4) the Agreements Regulations will apply to any term of an agreement (other than a non-commercial agreement) which is expressed in writing. The Regulations will therefore apply to any document embodying such an agreement. In such cases, breach of the Regulations will not render the agreement improperly executed, but may be taken into account in relation to Part 8 EA02 and credit licensing.

1.4 What is covered by the s74 determination?

A determination under s74(3) was made by the OFT with effect from 1 February 1990. It applies to d-c agreements enabling the debtor to overdraw on a current account, under which the creditor is a ‘bank’ as defined in the Bankers’ Books Evidence Act 1879, provided that certain conditions are satisfied – see Q1.5.

1.5 Are all bank overdrafts exempt?

The s74 determination in respect of bank overdrafts (see Q1.4) applies subject to the following conditions:

• the creditor must inform the OFT in writing of his general intention to enter into such agreements;

• the debtor must be informed, at or before the time an agreement is concluded, of the following:

o the credit limit (if any)

o the annual rate of interest and any charges applicable, and the conditions under which these may be varied

o the procedure for terminating the agreement;

• the above information must be confirmed in writing.

Furthermore, where a debtor overdraws a current account with the tacit agreement of the creditor, and the account remains overdrawn for more than three months, the creditor must inform the debtor in writing not later than seven days after the end of that period of the annual rate of interest and any charges applicable.

Regards, Pam

OK guys, I am a bit confused now, sorry......

Are overdrafts covered or not? lol......

Overdrafts are generally covered by the CCA but exempt from part V which covers (amongst other things):

Form and content regs.

Signing of agreements

Duty to supply copies

Duty to give notice of cancellation rights

Consequences of improper execution

Cancellation regs.

HOWEVER - they must supply you with information in writing of the following:

the credit limit (if any)

the annual rate of interest and any charges applicable, and the conditions under which these may be varied

the procedure for terminating the agreement

Regards, Pam

It is not up to debtor to prove he does not owe a debt, it is up to the creditor to prove he does, that is one fact of law you can rely on

Sparkie 1723

Hi,

That is true if it is the creditor who has started the court proceedings. But if the debtor has brought the proceedings, e.g. to claim back payments he thinks he should not have paid for whatever reason, then he has to prove he does not owe that money. The onus of proof is always on the claimant.

Regards, Pam

I

Have OD, but nothing formally in writing, nothing with our signature or A & L signature. nothing qoting interest except statements stating how much interest in pounds we have to pay.

The only notification regarding the OD are the monthly statements.

Hi

Are you sure you did not receive a letter when the OD was first taken up - e.g. we are pleased to offer you an OD of £....., our current interest rate is ...%, if you wish to accept this facility you need do nothing blah blah, you may terminate at any time upon full repayment blah blah (or anything along those lines).

I know I have from my bank! You do not have to sign for an overdraft and there is no agreement as we think of them.

Regards, Pam

HI

To cut through the stuff it means that banks do not have to respond to your cca 77 requestif you opperate an overdraft.I think that is what we all need to know.

Peter

Hi

With an overdraft there is no requirement to have an agreement as we think of them i.e. doc. in prescribed form etc. There just needs to be a letter setting out OD limit, (current)interest rate and procedure for termination.

BUT - I'm not sure that they do not have to comply with s78 as this is in part VI of the Act. I still think there is an obligation to send statement of state of account etc. Unfortunately this doesn't help our cause in any way! :-(

Regards, Pam

Overdrafts are generally covered by the CCA but exempt from part V which covers (amongst other things):

Form and content regs.

Signing of agreements

Duty to supply copies

Duty to give notice of cancellation rights

Consequences of improper execution

Cancellation regs.

Part 5 (V) is the part of the CCA that covers all the requirements for entering into a consumer credit agreement.

Basically the OD exemption from that part means that there is no requirement for an executed agreement, no requirement to send copies (on entering into the agreement) and no requirement for the borrower to sign anything.

Regards, Pam

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks