• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help Please, Im Bankrupt and didnt Know!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4643 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello RC....I apologise I was just informed of this thread in my email box......Have you been to the court to pick up ALL the paperwork in the file ? If not then I would advise you to visit the court, state that you are the litigant and you need copies of ALL the paperwork in the files.....they will charge you a small amount for carrying out the copying. There should be in there the petition and possibly a demand, but crucially there will also be an affadavit which contains the statement from the process server and how they attempted personal service, and obviously failed, and were granted normal service...if there have been any adjournments then these should be here also. Without these you will not be able to potentially give any reasons for them to annul. It seems you have already been for your interview with the Official Receiver....did you state that any of the debts were disputed ? Did you tell them that you would fight to annul the BR ?

Once you have ALL the paperwork, then give me a shout and let me know what is there.....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I correct in assuming that it was Lowells who have made you bankrupt (for those HFC debts ???!!!?) (it will tell you on the bankruptcy petition who was the petitioning creditor)....you seem to have done ok so far, but it is crucial you get ALL the paperwork on file from the hearing first....

Were there any adjournments from earlier hearings when you didn't attend ? (when you didn't know there were hearings !!). Are any of the houses either side of yours empty ? Any problems with the mail around the time of the demand or petition ? How does the affadavit measure up to what they say and where you were ?

OK RC....it seems that they have attempted personal service, what is important is what is said in their affadavit and if it ties up with what you said above (I have unapproved it for obvious reasons). I would check with the court to make sure that there have been no adjournments. It is unusual for a judge to grant a bankruptcy on the first hearing when the defendant isn't there (although it does happen on occasions)

Bear in mind that the official receiver will want to attend the court hearings too, as they have an obvious interest, and will claim their costs for attending. However if you are determined to annul, and a large part of this will depend on the judge on the day.

Your potential reasons for getting it annulled could be.

Not providing any copy of the agreement.

Statute barred debt at the time of the statutory demand

Failure to provide a valid default notice and subsequent termination notice.

Faliure to provide any notices of assignment.

The debt/debts being subject to missold PPI (HFC got into trouble a few years ago - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7191506.stm

Excessive charges

An abuse of the process

What I think you will also have to provide a full breakdown of your income and expenditure to prove that you are not bankrupt also.

You really need the results of the Subject Access Requests and Agreement requests however.

If the original petition, minus any PPI and any charges is below the £750 threshold then this could be used to annul the BR...

Missold PPI could be an issue too. although only statements and the agreement could verify this....

I'm adding this to your thread as you may find it extremely useful...

Judge Boggis QC - RE AWAN - [2000] BPIR 241

Then r 6.15 says:

(1) Service of the petition should be proved by affidavit.

(2) The affidavit shall have exhibited to it -

(a) a sealed copy of the petition, and

(b) if substituted service has been ordered, a sealed copy of the order;

and it should be filed in court immediately after service.

'In my judgment, bankruptcy is one of the most serious forms of execution that can be brought against a debtor. In any bankruptcy proceedings it is, in my view, absolutely clear that the provisions as to service must be followed exactly. The rules provide in terms that the petition must be supported by an affidavit of service showing how the petition was served, and express reference is made to substituted service and the way in which that then is to be proved, which involves the affidavit of service having with it a sealed copy of the order.' - JUDGE BOGGIS QC - SITTING AS A JUDGE OF THE HIGH COURT

The debts claimed by the petitioner are totally disputed

• Confused 1

They have to produce the SAR in 40 days from the date of your request, as for the agreement then they get 14 working days from the date you posted it to produce it. If the 40 calendar days is up then you will need to send a recorded delivery letter to them entitled LETTER BEFORE ACTION enclosing a copy of your original SAR request and giving them 14 days to comply.

Believe me I know what you mean....If it was me in your position I really would wait until the 40 days for the SAR is up, how can you possibly attempt to fight this without any paperwork....I presume you have told the OR that you plan to seek annulment ?

A SAR should come back to you in 40 calendar days...it is the CCA that should be returned in 12+2 working days....no need to worry, you state that you are awaiting several information requests under the data protection act before commencing with the annulment. Make sure that you tell them which alleged debts are disputed too, I know you normally have to put a big 'D' in a circle for these... Are you able to qualify for Legal Aid ?

And the OR, will not assist you at all, they are there to do a specific job....but that's all they are doing....I would suggest that you ask them not to appoint a trustee as yet due to you going through the annulment case.....

OK....well what you must do is send a LETTER BEFORE ACTION giving them a further 14 days in which to send your information..enclose a copy of your original letter too, and a copy of the reocrded delivery slip. If they fail to send it in that 14 days, then that is when you should submit the annulling of the BR. You should not go into this without the information. If you show this to the judge that they have failed to comply with the SAR then it could go in your favour. But you have to be seen to have done everything possible to get the information.

There is a copy of letter before action here - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?178660

Amongst your reasons for annullment will include a number of papers that will potentially be crucial...and the judge may (seeing non compliance with your SAR) allow your annullment on an 'unless' order i.e. unless they produce, the documents you have requested in a time frame the judge gives then you MAY get an annullment on that factor alone...as I said before it could depend on the judge.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello RC...the letter above is used when a DCA or a creditor requests your signature to verify for a credit agreement, this is not to be used for a SAR, they can ask for your signature for a SAR, but you should accompany this with a utility bill or a copy of your council tax request...(something along those lines)....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...