Can we argue this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

DD started new job on Tuesday and after much discussion about where to park, DS suggested a nearby road which had parking restrictions on one side, but nothing on the other side so she parked there for over 6 hours.

Got back to find parking ticket as she was clocked there for over 2 hours. (Obviously this was DS fault:roll:).

I've been and examined the scene of the crime to check things out. It's a wide tree lined avenue with a dead end, and with signs as described by DS on one side. These signs are on every lampost stating that there's parking for residents with a permit or 2 hours with no return within 4 hours. The posts also have numbers just beneath them and are clear and prominent.

On the side where DD parked the lampposts are obscured by mature trees with full foliage, and no signs, but they do have numbers similar to those on the opposite side. I walked to the dead end, and some distance the other way and not one single sign saying there was any restriction on parking.

Would the signs on the opposite side of the road cover both sides, and would the numbers on the lampposts have any bearing on this?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

You make no mention of road markings. What were they? Can you get pictures?

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

I need to go and get pictures, but the only markings are zig zag lines outside a school entrance, and the rest of the road has parking bays on both sides at right angles to the pavement (I think).

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The chances are there's a TMO for the street, banning general parking, with an order to permit the creation of Resident's Bays on one side. (I'm assuming this is an urban area?). It is often folly to assume that because there is no signage visible when you stop, it's OK to park - that would be like being in a time-warp and finding the only street in town with no restrictions... if it was that good, everybody else would be there.... :(

Depends what you call an urban area. It's no city and just that little bit of a walk out of the town centre on the outskirts. It has a large school (recently closed), and huge converted houses, one of which is a hostel for homeless kids, a few flats/bedsits, offices etc.

If there is no signage how are people supposed to know if they can park there or not? It is a place where a lot of people park to avoid paying, although I was only really aware of this for people shopping. Certainly a similar avenue which runs parralel, and is in fact closer to the town doesn't have restrictions so it tends to fill up quite early with workers looking to avoid parking charges.

We are talking about a town that only introduced meters about 3 years ago and at the same time changed from having 3 traffic wardens to 30 parking attendants.

:) you woulnt have thought at that increase in PAs would have resulted in a deluge of TMOs to give them something to enforce and profit from?

Councils often create a CPZ and only require to signpost roads that enter the CPZ - there being no requirement to signpost each and every street.

I'm not familiar with the terms TMO or CPZ.

I was never in any doubt that there would be an increase in fines with all those meters everywhere. Must admit it's incredibly easy to park there now, and it's worth 20p for half an hour if I need to pop to town in my lunch break and probably cheaper than all the petrol I used to use driving round and round looking for a space.