• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Denbighshire Council Ignoring the Law - In Writing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6473 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I took my young kids to ride on Thomas the Tank on the Llangollen railway last weekend. All the Pay & Display car parks were full so I parked in a free parking pay. I did not know the train journey would take two hours (I thought it was only round the station and back - assumed 30 minutes tops). Anyway, when I got back to the car there was a parking ticket.

I wrote a letter of appeal, explaining I did not know the duration of the train journey etc. I also cited the 1689 Bill of Rights Act etc.

Got the reply today and I am absolutely stunned. Naturally I am expected to pay, but what really gets me is they what they state about the Bill of Rights:

"The Bill applies to criminal proceedings not civil ones as is the case with Decriminalised Parking Enforcement (DPE). Moreover the Road Traffic Act is so specific in its laying down of the procedures to be used that it must take precedence over the old legislation. The 1689 Act is relevent, but there is no conflict between it and the Decriminalised Parking Scheme brought by the Road Traffic Act 1991 "

This is totally incorrect, factually misleading and legally it is a total bunch of crap. The Bill of Rights makes no distinction between criminal or civil proceedings. Since when has it become lawful for any new later ACT to take precendence over old legislation without implicitly stating the legislation it is repealing? Even the Bill of Rights states which legislation it deems illegal (Certain acts of James II were specifically named and declared illegal on this basis). The Bill of Rights forms the very basis of English Common Law and has been cited in many CIVIL cases.

It seems Denbighshire County Council not only are happy to disregard centuries of English Common Law, they appear to be rewriting the Law to suit themselves without having to go through Parliament.

I will be contacting Neil Herron from the Metric Martyrs for his input on this one and also how best to get a response.

Thoughts anyone?

I will be contacting Neil Herron from the Metric Martyrs for his input on this one and also how best to get a response.

Thoughts anyone?

Well Neil certainly takes pride in getting up the back of councils.

Have you checked your PCN? Is it lawful? Has it got 2 dates on, one the date of the contravention and the other being the date of issue.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Yeah - checked the PCN and it has a date of issue and date of contravention. The only thing it does not have which I could possibly hang my hat on is it does not state the time that the vehicle was first seen - only the time it was actually booked.

I can post images of the PCN and also of their reply to my appeal if anyone is interested ;)

Jim

The bill of rights argument was recently thrown out of high court by a judicial review which decided that parking penalties were in fact civil responsibilities and not fines so the bill of rights was not relevant.

Therefor the council may have a point of sorts.

Have a good look at the ticket there are loads more possible faults apart from the date of issue problem.

I have had a few tickets recently and most of the faults are with the Notice to owners and charge certificates so dont give up hope yet.

Rog

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing I can see on the ticket which may be an error on their part is the missing time when the vehicle was first seen. It has the time of the alleged contravention, but not when the vehicle was first seen.

Will this be enough to argue the ticket is incorrectly structured?

The only thing I can see on the ticket which may be an error on their part is the missing time when the vehicle was first seen. It has the time of the alleged contravention, but not when the vehicle was first seen.

Will this be enough to argue the ticket is incorrectly structured?

To be honest thats unlikely to invalid it as it is not one of the must haves under the RTA 1991

If it is a council parking ticket have a look at this link

http://www.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk/user_documents/Als.pdf

Its got about all the faults in it. Most are with the wording on how and when to pay and not the time of issue.

If that fails wait for the NTO. Ive had three of them lately and every one has had the start date as date of notice instead of date of service which the Adjudicators have said makes it uneforcable.

Which council is it

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

I got the NTO this morning. Where should I look for the invalid date of Notice?

The council is Denbighshire County Council. The NTO has in the top right:

Penalty Charge Notice: (ticket number here)

PCN Issue Date: (date ticket was issued here)

NTO Issue Date: As Postmark

If you would like to see scans of the ticket and the NTO please let me know and I will upload them to my hosting space.

Thanks

Jim

Go over the ticket with a fine toothed comb, any mistake and I mean the slightest error will render it invalid, incorrect registration (includes crossings out) name etc anything!! You could get it cancelled on appeal, i did it once, parked in a disabled bay with my partners blue badge showing (and partner in tow so legal) in Denbighshire (loggerheads national park) and was ticketed and got it over turned, I know that is completely different to your case but Denbighshire council cancelled it, some hope that they do (rarely) cancel tickets.

Surely they would have noted your arrival time at the bay in order to issue a ticket? (just proves my point that they randomly issue tickets) If not how could they know that you had overstayed?

NatWest Credit Card - All charges refunded (£350.41) after first request sent :D

HSBC - 1st Approach Letter sent (£62.41) 12/09/2006. LBA sent recorded delivery 26/09/2006.

6/10/2006 - We believe that if this went to court etc we would win letter, but we are refunding you the charges made, we accept no liability - LOL I think by refundng me you accept that you are wrong!! I win :D

Capital One - 1st Approach Letter sent (£40) 20/09/2006. 29/09/2006 Full refund offered, letter dated 25/09/2006.

Barclaycard - £235 charges - Pending Action. WON!!

Halifax - Prepairing letters for £125 in charges on closed account. WON!!

Natwest Creditcard again

£12 late payment charge 13/11/2006 - LBA sent 17/11/2006. WON!!

Fight the power, you owe the banks nothing and they owe you everything!!

Now it's 3-0 to me :D