• Tweets

• you never use or give an email  2nd class stamp with free proof of posting from any po counter dx
    • Much appreciated for the ammendment. The snottier the better right!   What I am assuming is that this response is to be posted to Gladstones? However, I am seeing some users sending this as an email instead, which is a little confusing.  If we're happy with this response, what would you suggest is the best way to send it over to them (post/email), and is there anything additional I could include (if necessary)?  Thanks again! 
    • Hi I've read through other threads to better inform me of the process from here onwards. When I put in the MoneyClaim it gave me a claim number and it currently says to wait for the defendant to respond, they have until 7 August.   It seems their most likely action is to extend that a further 14 days to about 21 August - this hasn't happened yet, of course, as it is only 27 July but I'm anticipating that may be the case. when the expected defence action is taken by EVRi I will need to submit DQ with these responses A1 - no mediation B - my contact details C1 - yes to the small claims track D1 - No.  If No please state why.  I believe the defence will provide some rebuttal to the particulars of claim and so I need to include details as to why the claim requires a hearing.  Is there some certain templated text I can include here or will it vary depending on what the defendant comes back with? I see on the form it mentions the following: Relevant reasons include that there are factual disputes which will need the judge to hear from witnesses directly or the issues are so complex they need to be argued orally.  Hoping to reach out to see what may be the most effective statements for D1 reasoning. E1-5 are pretty straightforward. I want to get ahead of things and be ready to take the next step so I appreciate what advice you may have about the DQ.   Thanks!  
    • Rachel Reeves is set to reveal a public finances shortfall of billions on pounds after a snap audit.View the full article
    • Hi What they have asked in what you have highlighted isn't unusual at all as Councils have numerous different departments that deal with specific different areas within that council. So if what you are asking in your DSAR is say specific to Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Planning Permission etc then just let them know that specific area. On the other hand if you want every bit of DATA they hold on you then simply tell then ALL DATA they hold on you it's them up to then to go through all depts to check for it. 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Engineer charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi...hoping someone can help with this.

I just got my phone bill from BT and there is a charge on it for an engineer call out. Now there is a long story behind this that would take forever to go through but in a nutshell

I switched from Tiscali back to BT last july....my broadband has been totally awful with many crashes and faults...I've had 10 engineers out to my home and touch wood the fault appears to have finally been fixed two weeks ago. Now if anyone here has ever had to deal with BT tec support, you will know that sometimes you get a great person and sometimes you get a complete *ss for want of a better word! Well on one occasion last december I got one of these who insisted I call BT telephone fault side of things and get that line checked before he would assist me further...I did so and he couldn't detect anything but said he had better arrange for another engineer visit for me and was tomorrow tween 8am and 1pm ok? I said fine and duly cancelled an existing appointment for that date and began the wait for the engineer. Late on in the slot I got a call from the engineer asking what the problem was and I explained the whole situation...he replied that he was at the exchange and couldn't see anything wrong and as this is a broadband fault he couldn't see the point in coming to my house and would close the fault. There is more to this but is basically irrelevant to this particular issue so I won't bore you!

So the charge on my bill is for this engineer, who never came to my house! I phoned 150 and explained all this and argued my case and was passed on to another department who supposedly had the final say in billing but was told "the engineer filed a report saying he had tested the line and could find no fault so the charge stands" Well I obviously argued and said "but he never came!!!!" over and over...round and round:rolleyes:

The end result of the phone call was an angry me and no change in the bill. Surely this can't be allowed? I said if they were to check the phone records for that day they would see that no line test numbers etc had been dialled from my home and surely this would prove I am telling the truth...and got the response "we have to trust our engineers!!"

I'm lost for words to say how angry and frustrated I am...after all the trouble I've had and the unfulfilled (and later denied)promises of compensation from the broadband side of BT and now they've hit me with this!

Is there anything I can do to get this charge removed?

Thanks for any help in advance...and sorry for the essay post

This is another reason why BB over PSTN is such a nonsense. BT's charging structure is based on call-outs, either to fix problems external to your premises (up to the Master Socket) at no cost, or if no fault is found, then at your cost (to pay for the engineers time).

With BB, the service can be tested at the exchange, and the line verified forward and back, often making a site visit redundant - especially if the phone line part of the connection is working fine.

What 'm not clear about, is where this chargeable event sits in your list of service issues. If your BB was not working to the expected standard, then when WAS it fixed...? Before or after the non-visit from the engineer? OR were there other fault visits that resolved the issue?

Most exchanges are unmanned, so sending an engineer to an exchange to run tests would be chargeable if no fault was found - so they are not being perverse in charging. Saying nobody came to your house would not lift the charge, but if a subsequent problem was eventually resolved, then you can point to this as part of the same problem and seek a credit.

Intermittent faults are always a problem, especially when there is no problem found when the engineer calls, but they are pretty good at sorting this if the problem is shown (later) to exist, and they refund accordingly.

Hi Buzby... it really is a very long winded story, beginning as I said in July last year...basically I was told that I should be able to get 2.5-3meg service no problem..thing is there was a fault on the line that kept making the IP profile crash to 135 kbps resulting in an actual throughput of 49-100kbps...the first engineer to visit changed some wiring and gave me a new master socket, got the IP profile raised and said this should resolve the issue...it did, for about 3 days and then the same thing happened again...when this happened I was getting dreadful static and echo on the phone line...always the same routine with BT tec...check the filters unplug everything...etc etc etc...ok call out the engineer. I must point out at this stage that at no time did anyone ever tell me there could be a charge for this and I was only made aware of the possibility when I discovered the forum on BT.com. The wording was always the same "We need to book an engineer visit, we have a free slot (whenever...either between 8am and 1pm or between 1pm and 6pm) will that be suitable?" there was never any advising of any charges at all!!

Well this continued in roughly a 7-10 day cycle for some time and appeared to be fixed eventually...I had a decent connection with no dropouts for about 14 days...then it rained heavily. Back to square one although this time the fault seemed different to me, it was showing slightly different symptoms but with the same end result of the IP dropping to 135 making the connection virtually unusable. The engineers have ALWAYS found there to be a fault, they just haven't been able to pinpoint it and it has been a process of elimination, new lines in various stages, new sockets...moving the socket,switching cables, switching (Pairs?) you name it. It was only the final engineer, god love him, who was determined to get to the bottom of it all and actually really knew what he was on with he came to my house once and then when it crashed again within the week he requested the job when he saw it . He tested and retested at my house then went up the pole , then to the cab up the road and then to the exchange and back to my house again. End verdict? Faulty equipment at the exchange and also a previous engineer had switched me to the worst possible (unbalanced?) cable from the exchange. So fingers crossed the fault is now 100% cured... 18 days and counting! The engineer visit in question was 8th December, the fault finally fixed approx 18 days ago