• Tweets

• Thanks dx for your kind words. I plan to renew my season ticket and write a new begging letter as following, can I ask for any suggestion about it?   Dear Investigator/Prosecutor,   Thank you for your reply. I deeply regret my actions and the inconvenience they have caused.   I’m extremely remorseful for my crime. and regret it everyday. I often ask myself ‘’how can I do that thing just because I felt it is interesting. There are a lot of crimes in the world, but feeling it’s interesting is certainly not a reason to crime. I should not crime with any reason.’’ I think about these things every day, and I understand that I can’t blame anyone but myself.   I thanks to the staff who stopped me, as this is a valuable lesson in my life. I told myself that I should never ever repeat such a thing again, and never ever do anything which is possible to be in breach of any law. As a result, I carefully tap my oyster card every time before I enter the station now. I remind myself that I did a wrong thing before, and I should never let it happen again.   Although my monthly travel expenses do not warrant a season ticket, but I just renew my season ticket (please see the attachment). I understand that a crime cannot be truly compensated for, but purchasing a season ticket offers me a small measure of comfort, knowing that my actions caused a loss to the public interest.   I received an email which ask me to negotiate being class teacher in this summer (please see the attachment). I hope that I could teach the lovely students again, which may not be allowed with a criminal record. I would please ask that you would please provide me a single opportunity to settle all outstanding sums owed outside of court without the need for legal proceedings which would have a determinantal impact on my teaching career.   I sincerely apologise again for my crime. If you need anything further from me to help you please let me know.    Yours sincerely,
    • You did what??? You asked them to send you the documents that without them you had  a 100% ironclad win in Court. Why on earth would you do that? As it happens in this case, there is still enough mistakes in their PCNs and the NTH to have your case cancelled. Amd it may be that not sending those documents in the first place along with the ICO complaint and the letters from Alliance themselves which would confirm by the dates on the letters may be enough to cancel it anyway. I hope you have kept their letters as evidence? The chances are that Alliance will not actually take you to Court because of their errors but you never know.  You have made so much extra work for yourself in your WS if they decide to push their luck.though. Can you please post up their letter where they give the reason why I wasn't sent with the NTH.
    • I'm not sure that I fully agree with my site team colleague above.  My understanding is that there is nothing to stop you recording but it is strictly for your own personal use.   
    • I live in a student house, with 5 tenants, unihomes is our utilities provider, who we each have a direct debit set up with and have paid each bill every month. Two letters were sent in my name by BWLegal saying I had two outstanding payments due adding up to over £3500, I have tried to contact british gas (as that is apparently our houses provider) as well as Unihomes. Nothing has helped and BWlegal are pursuing legal action if these debts are not resolved by the 1st May. What do I do? I've called Bwlegal when i bring up that the debt isnt for me and for unihomes they hang up on me. so I am stressed and do not know what to do
    • cant do either if its not in a public place or on your land. dx  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Reply by Egg to "Approved Limit" point

FightToTheEnd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5174 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Another point is that this is perhaps a "standard" reply as at one point their letter refers to "your client" as if perhaps replying to a solicitor when my complaint has only been dealt with by me?

Spot on - I got practically the same letter just this morning. It related to a letter that I sent to them in July, so it has taken them the best part of 4 months to reply. Waving or drowning :roll:

I see the point about strength DD and AC, but I have replied restating my opinion. I have always been of the view that if you seem to know your position they are going to be that wee bit wary of you.

Agree fully with all the other points - just noising us up (or trying to!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is the view that if you reply to them all the time, you are just continuing a game of letter ping pong. I tend more to your view Exasperated. I think if they raise a new point then there is always a need to respond to it in as effective a way as we are able to in order to rebut it. However, if all we are doing is repeating the same point over and over, then i think its best to make clear to them that we are repeating and after repeating the point once (maybe twice) to leave it at that.

But otherwise I would agree with you - these are rubber people - they will not lie down and admit they are defeated. Even when they are wrong they are still right.

• 1 month later...

you might want to advise them that NOWHERE in either the Act or the Regs is the phrase "approved limit" used - indeed they havent used it since 2005 (you might want to ask them why they changed their practice?)

Also a reference to the Regs (1983/1553 - Agreements regs) specifically part 2 para 4, which deals with how information is to be ordered/ sequenced, could be useful. For instance the LAST item is supposed to be the signature.

I had drafted this reply which answers some of those points:

I refer to your letter of 13th January and, as ever, I still consider the account to be in serious dispute.

As you correctly state, schedule 6 does indeed state the requirement of a term “to state the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined”. Surely one would assume that this statement would, as a bare minimum, require the use of the phase “credit limit”? Completely agree.

As I have already mentioned, your agreement refers only to “approved limits” and “individual limits” which are in no way deemed to be credit limits. I will once again state that I consider this makes your agreement unenforceable due to a missing prescribed term. Good

Your comments concerning the Hurstanger case are also interesting and looking at this case again, it was stated in relation to the core prescribed terms that: “they cannot be orally agreed; they cannot be found in another document; they cannot be implied; and above all they cannot be in the slightest mis-stated. As a matter of policy, the lender is denied any room for manoeuvre in respect of them”. Very good

With the above points in mind, I cannot agree with you that the basic requirements are satisfied.

I also note that you have not advised where the term “approved limit” has been shown to be a “well established point of law” and wonder if this was just an oversight on your part. Or ask them what their legal authorities (eg previous judgements/ OFT guidance etc) are in support of this claim

Turning to your points about your collection procedures, I did not state that I felt you were breaching any rules, I simply advised that I found your actions to be disingenuous when I had heard nothing from you for months and then started to receive several emails and telephone calls a day once you have replied to my letter without giving me chance to respond.

May I once again reiterate that I will only deal with this matter in writing? I feel this is sensible as it gives us both time to consider our responses and also means there is a written record of anything agreed. I would therefore be grateful if you stop your (twice daily!) attempts to contact me by telephone with immediate effect. dont justify this - just tell them that in writing is the only way you will deal with them. Otherwise you are giving them the basis of an argument imo

Once again, I trust this letter makes my position perfectly clear and I look forward to hearing that you will not be perusing this matter further. May I also respectfully remind you of the restrictions placed upon Egg being as this account is still in serious dispute?

See comments - hope they are helpful

SFU

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
Hi

Ok Lets talk about law and contracts. Firstly there is no reason why a creditor cannot terminate an agreement for running account credit any tie he wants.

He can terminate it in total in part reinstate it terminate it again why cant he.

The notion that because it doesn’t say he can in the ac he cannot terminate is absurd,

The act does not work like that, in fact no act works like that. Law doesn’t work like that.

Legislation isn’t a list of things that you can do, it is a list of things you cannot.

The reason section 98 is significant is because it states that the creditor has to give notice prior to termination under certain conditions.

This then acknowledges that the creditor can terminate under all other conditions.

If there was a law saying you can’t walk your dog on Saturdays, wouldn’t it be sensible to assume that it was safe to walk it on the other days of the week.

To difficult

The OFT don’t seem to think so.

Peter

Peter, in relation to this letter that FTE has just received, this troubles me somewhat. I fully take your point that if something isnt specifically ruled out that doesnt mean its unlawful.

However, lets look at the letter that FTE has just received, and consider what termination means. My problem is

1. Egg themselves have made use of the word termination - in other words this is their description, not ours
  2. The fact is they seem to have terminated it twice - first in 2008 and then again in 2010 (they admit this in the letter) - which sounds a bit to me like killing someone, digging them up and shooting/knifing them again, but lets allow that to pass for now at least
  3. where i have real problems is that they say that the only difference the termination would make is that the card couldnt be used for further borrowing. However, Chambers online dicitionary defines termination as "termination noun 1 someone or something that terminates. 2 an abortion (sense 1). 3 the ending or a result of something." Thus termination has a finality to it - sort of "that's that" which leaving the remaining balance as repayment only does not seem to me to be consistent with. Leaving the remaining balance as repayment only just doesnt seem to me to be consistent with any meaning of termination that I can think of. if we focus on the second definition above, the phrase that comes to my mind is "you cant be a little bit pregnant". So what is it they have done?
  4. I think that a better description of what they did in 2008, casting various people adrift by cancelling their cards, was not a termination - in the sense above (or I suspect in the sense intended in the CCA) - but actually a variation of terms such that the credit limit (which I think I am right in saying was the description they used by that time rather than approved limit ) would always be equal to the balance of the account. So for instance, if my account showed a debit balance of £1000 and I repaid £100 in any month, then the new credit limit would be £900 + the interest charged that month - the effect being of course that I couldnt spend anything on the card, only make repayments. But what they did was not a termination. That it seems to me is a serious misuse of English.
  5. Lastly, as others have pointed out, how can you terminate something twice. As I said above its a bit like you knifed someone to death in 2008, and then you dig them up in 2010 and stick the knife in again. I am not sure what description one would give the second act (necrohomicide?) but it sure as hell cant be murder. Same thing?
  6. But what does the Act say, I hear you cry. Well lets follow this through. Section 87 makes it clear that "87.—(1) Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a "default notice ") is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—
    (a) to terminate the agreement," But we could I think all agree that not everyone who got roped in to the 2008 termination was in default. I can remember letters to the press at the time from people screaming holy hell because they had been terminated because they didnt, in Egg's view, use the card enough. It wasnt that they were "delinquent" - Egg just werent making enough money out of them. So that cant be right.
  7. But there is a further problem for Egg, I think, because s88 requires the default notice to be in the prescribed form - "88.—(1) The default notice must be in the prescribed form and specify—
    (a) the nature of the alleged breach;
    (b) if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date before which that action is to be taken;
    © if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach, and the date before which it is to be paid." But as already pointed out, many whose cards were "terminated" had not committed a breach at all, or if they had in the past, werent in breach at the time that the account was terminated. Moreover, as I recall, there was no "get out" possibility as required by paragraphs b and c. It was "card terminated. End" - though it wasnt if you were still in debt. It was a variation of terms, wasnt it? But they didnt use that description and it seems to me that its quite legitimate for them to have to bear the consequences of that action.

Eddie, I have a friend who used to work in the credit card trade (but he's got changed jobs, so he's alright now), and I was asking him how it could be that the credit card industry could have made such a horlicks of all this - I mean the 74 Act and Regs are, if anything, overly determined and certainly not vague about what lenders must do. He said "oh, but that's all down to Legal, and no one ever listens to Legal". :eek: