Advice Please Anyone?

annmarie18676
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there! I have just come across this site and wondered if anyone could help. I noticed everyone elses bank charges they were trying to get back but mine is only small, £35! I know its not much to some people but this is a weeks money for me. They have taken it from my bank because a direct debit was claimed a week early, which obviously is not my fault, should i try the letter in the library here or just grin and bear it? They say i should claim back from company that took d.d out but they tell me otherwise! HELP!!!!! :)

Annie

Hi.

Well, have you tried contacting them direct to ask nicely for it to be refunded? If you're not a habitual culprit, they might.

If not, obviously, you need to decide. If it's a week money to you, surely, it's worth it?

As for "grin and bear it", well, sure, some people enjoy that sort of things, and pay good money for that! :p Who am I to judge... On the other hand, if you DON'T enjoy it, what is there to think about?

Thanks so much for your reply! I called them a couple of times and tried, very nicely, for a refund as its the first time its happened, but to no avail, im gonna try the letter and see if that has the desired effect!! lol Until then i will sit in the dark and without heat as they have taken all my money!!!! :)

RESULT!!! Thought i'd give it one last chance and call them again, have been given a 50% refund for the time being and told to take the rest up in writing, hence the letter from the library section! lol Fantastic! Another kick in the teeth for the banks!!!! Every penny counts!

Why did they authorise a direct debit a week early without instruction from you? Whilst there could be mileage in speaking to the company concerned, it is the bank who levied the £35 against you, and therefore it is to them that your enquiry is aimed.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The terms of direct debit agreements are such that you are actually entitled to an immediate refund of any debit taken in error. Point that out to the bank, and demand that they refund the payment to you, plus the charge, then contact the beneficiary of the debit and ask why they took the payment so early, and indicate that in future if they do the same, you will have to refer them to the ombudsman for abuse of the direct debit system.

Yes - the direct debit guarantee is actually very good, and believe it or not is drummed into contact centre monkeys like there is no tomorrow.

WHOEVER you speak to, mentioning the DDG will guarantee their attention and appropriate action (although this usually means an escalation to someone more senior...) - a good result I believe. :idea:

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks