• Tweets

• Include that in your witness statement along with that letter as an exhibit.
    • Yup, well so far they have lied to me about responding to a CCA,  are threatening me with a default notice that they don't have, produced a knocked up version of my NOA, sent me 29 pages of spew for an agreement. No wonder they pay 5 p in the pound for that crap.
    • Paragraph 2. I think there should be further down and also you should make the point that the payment to was made unilaterally and without the imposition of any conditions. Paragraph 3 – this is unnecessary because you are not claiming as an entitled third-party. This worries me because it makes me feel that you haven't fully read around because this is a paragraph which you would include where you were suing EVRi as a beneficial third party because you had actually made your contract with Packlink or some other broker. I think you need to revisit and do some more reading. I'm afraid I have a sense that you have simply copied this from somebody else's witness statement without understanding that it wasn't necessary. Please can you post the amended draft. Other than the suggestions above, it looks okay – but let's see it again for a further appraisal. In terms of the evidence, parties bundle, I think it might be an idea to start off with the correspondence with EVRi and then go onto the other evidence. You will have to amend the index page accordingly. You could shorten this bit. Take 19 is pretty well blank and you may as well miss it out also, there seems to be some repetition of emails and the email chain. I think will be worth going through and getting rid of duplicates if you can. 49 pages is a bit long and it would be a good idea to try and reduce the number. I have a feeling that 50 pages as the County Court limit anyway. The judge will be happier with you if the bundle is smaller. Maybe you could reduce the size of some of the images or messages et cetera. You have got several messages which straddle onto a second page so that things like sign off information and standard confidentiality information become orphans. A bit of manipulation and they could be joined to their parents I think. Page 31 as an example. So is page 19. You may only be up to shorten the whole thing by 56 pages – but I think it would be a good idea. 56 pages is, after all, 10%. If you can do more then so much the better
    • Investment by Dutch brewing giant will create 1,000 new jobs and reopen dozens of closed pubsView the full article
    • Qantas agrees to pay millions to settle lawsuit accusing it of selling tickets to cancelled flights.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nottsdave/Capquest-Court date soon.

Nottsdave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ND,

Right, youve filed a defence?

you need to file a witness statement and also trial bundle so dont let that fall by the way side just because they havent complied with the order

have you made any applications to strike out their claim at all?

have you started thinking about a skeleton argument that the judge can read prior to the hearing so that he will see the main points of your arguments?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you look at my thread on CPR 31.16 you will see how a witness statement should be set out Dave, the document you have produced is not a witness statement and sadly i do not have time to draft one up from scratch

Hi Dave,

Right, its not a strike out is it? you need to put in your witness statement, the statement of the facts, its not a defence, so you need to put it in in your own words so to speak

the format of a wit statement is set out on the thread i posted a link to, the first three paras need to set out who you are etc as i have set it out on the linked thread

i really dont have any more time available mate, sorry

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

an application to strike is to be submitted on N244 if it is to be considered by the court,

you may get away with it by simple written request if the judge decides to exercise his wide discretion under the CPR but i must say, its very unlikely

• Haha 1

Can someone quickly explain in laymans terms what the para below actually means

The courts powers of enforcement where agreements are improperly executed by way of section 65 CCA 1974 are themselves subject to certain qualifying factors. Under section 127 (3) Consumer Credit Act 1974 the requirements are laid out clearly what is required for the court to be able to enforce the agreement where section 65(1) has not been complied with 127(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).

Notts

Dave, im not sure how you can say in laymens terms what s127(3) means, other than saying, if the agreement doesnt conform to s61(1) (a) CCA 1974 it is improperly executed.

an improperly executed is only enforceable by order of the court see s65(1)CCA

but s127(3) says if its not containing the prescribed terms the court cant do diddly with it

the DJ is wrong, Credit Tokens, of which credit cards are, fall clearly under the scope of the CCA, simply point the judge to s 14 and that confirms this point.

seems like once again, you are in the judge lottery.

it goes to show there aint no substitute for legal assistance

It seems bizzare that the judge is unwilling to listen to the relevant quoted law however correctly presented unless its actually given by someone in the legal profession.

and there is me thinking justice was for all and not a select few who could afford it :-(

S.

Well, the trouble is, advocacy is a skill in itself, and in many cases, it is not the law thats the problem but the way its presented to the judge.

people seem to read and reproduce parrot fashion from the forums, thats ok of course until someone slings a spanner in the works and departs from the script

im not saying thats what happened here but that does happen alot

you should NOT pay anything

there are good CCA lawyers out there that can do the job on a CFA which is no win no fee

anyone who asks for upfront fees can whistle

Sadly, i cannot recommend anyone as i am restrained from doing so under the rules i have to abide by, but there will be others who can assist in that department

can i ask, who was the judge you had?

I know a few in the notts area , ive aslo attended Derby and Mansfield courts so i know many on that circuit

• 2 weeks later...
So................

Statement of Evidence to be in next week, any ideas anyone ?

Notts

Dave i wouldnt worry too much about that as things are likely to change in this matter shortly.

i will bung you over an email to explain fully;)

Regards

Paul

• 2 months later...
So just a couple of days to go before Im back in front of the mighty legal system.

My arguement is still that a application form cant be a agreement (not even by magic) and that I asked for a copy of the agreement and I still have only received a copy of the application form.

Also I have never received a default notice.

So let see how it goes this time round, I just hope I get a DJ who knows the law.

Not feeling to confident though I must admit.

Notts

you will fail with that argument

your argument should be that the agreement is improperly executed and as a result of the improper execution it is unenforceable and this is un-remediable as it is in breach of s61(1)(a) and s127(3) which has not been repealled for agreements entered into prior to 6th April 07

the application can be an enforceable agreement, the act says so clearly within s127(3)