• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bailiffs have taken my van off my driveway, do i have a leg to stand on ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5703 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Initially the bills amounted to approximately £1200, but by the time they added their ridiculous fees it soon rocketed up to £1800.

Well lets just start there:

Do you know how much you owed the council, you can ring or visit them, they've got to tell you.

Have the bailiffs ever been inside your property

So if I've got this right, they have only visited once to put a letter through, and once to take your van away.

And for this they have charged way too much it seems to me.

The first thing you need is the names of the bailiffs involved - don't post their names on the site.

You then need to check that they have a current certificate to collect for B&S, there's a central register but you may have to phone a couple of county courts to check - don't be fobbed off, it's your legal right to check, that's why HMCS post a phone number on the internet.

• Haha 1

Then you must calculate the correct fees that the bailiff is permitted to charge, now that's easy for the letter visits, because you've only had one £24.50.

The levy is a bit easier, but removal isn't so easy.

Was the van sign written, is it on finance?

The van was also full of all my tools as it was used for storage as i had no where to store my tools.

You will need to make a police complaint then - they definitely aren't allowed to seize tools - and overcharging is fraudulent.

Do you know what tools were in the van and how much it will cost to replace them?

Dear Sirs,

Re: XXXXXXXX Client reference XXXXXXXX

The purpose of this letter is to make a Subject Access Request pursuant to Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998, as I wish to query both the level of fees that have been applied to my particular case and clarification on your bailiff’s certification.

Accordingly, could you please provide me with a full and detailed breakdown of the actual costs that have been applied to my account, together with the reason for these charges. If any charges relate to van fees and attendance fees, please state the date and precise time of the attendance and the type of vehicle used.

Turning to the matter of certification of your company’s bailiffs.

From information provided by your company, it would appear that both Mr XXXXXX and Mr XXXXXXXX have been allocated my account.

I require as a matter of urgency that you provide me with the date and court details where they were granted their certificates and confirmation also that the certificates provide from them to work for your company.

I wish to put your company on notice that I if I do not receive this information within 7 days of the date of this letter then I will be writing to the Head of Revenue at (council) to investigate this matter on my behalf.

Due to the seriousness of the above, I have taken this opportunity to write this letter by both e-mail and registered post and I would like to request that you acknowledge safe receipt by return.

Yours faithfully,

Now what is interesting is that the bailiffs are employed by the council, who are also liable for their misdeeds.

That means that you can sue the council for the fees that have been unlawfully charged, and for the tools that they have unlawfully seized.

You must send copies to the Council tax office, and make sure you find the email address of the head of the department, director of revenues, what ever it's called and send him/her one too.

as far as i am aware, the bailiffs have called round about four times and left letters each time stating 'removal of goods'. If they have called round besides these times then i are unaware of this as they have left no letter or sign that they had been.

I've been through this myself - they can legally drive around in an Abrams tank if they want to, visit you as many times as they want to - but they can only charge for two visits. 1st £24.50 2nd £18.00. Doesn't matter how many accounts they're dealing with either.

They can only levy if the levy is lawful and carried out correctly and by bailiffs holding current certificates, and then the permissable charge is on the back of the notice they're supposed to leave you.

That's it in a nutshell.

i dont want to sound daft, but i have no idea who the bailiff was who removed the van as there is just a scribble on the page where he signed it.

Not daft at all, it might suggest they didn't want to put their names, cos just maybe they didn't have certificates.

You won't know for sure until you get a written response from B&S

What I did was simple, I rang the bailiff using a telephone recorder and asked him to repeat his name clearly - found out his certificate wasn't valid - oh he had one for his previous employer, just not for the firm he was collecting for - that was enough, actually he didn't behave badly at all.

Anyway the law is very clear, you've either got one or you haven't, and if you haven't you're a crim!.

hi, can you tell me whether it makes any difference at all, that on the inventory form that has the details of my van that the bailiff removed, this form has not been signed by me or anyone else. It just has the reference no. Date, my address and the van details on it ?

No, first they levied upon what they believed to be your goods because it was on your property - they took Walking Possession of it, and because you didn't pay or challenge them in any other way, they took the van.

They had no right to take the tools as well, they should have given you notice of the removal so you could remove personal items and exempt items from it.

You must complain, you can use email backed up by hard copy sent recorded delivery.

1)It's never too late to pay bailiffs, that's all they care about so, no it's not.

2)If the levy took place before the sale yes, if the sale took place before the levy no.

3)Pleading for mercy won't help - they don't do mercy. Paying the council in full at this point won't stop the bailiffs selling the van, but it would stop them adding any further charges.

4)That's impossible to say - you might well get a result within the 5 days, but there is no guarantee

Edited by chris600uk
missed out the timescale

What that means is you should ring the council and ask them if they have given b&s permission in their contract to charge a levy twice, as well as asking them for the amount stated on the liability order.

They've only levied upon your van, they can't do it twice if that's the case, overcharging is fraud and grounds for a form 4 complaint.

The Regulation 46 complaint to the Magistrates court might get you your van back much quicker, you do need to get it done.

The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 in connection with distress

46.—(1) A person aggrieved by the levy of, or an attempt to levy, a distress may appeal to a magistrates' court.

(2) The appeal shall be instituted by making complaint to a justice of the peace, and requesting the issue of a summons directed to the authority which levied or attempted to levy the distress to appear before the court to answer to the matter by which the person is aggrieved.

(3) If the court is satisfied that a levy was irregular, it may order the goods distrained to be discharged if they are in the possession of the authority; and it may by order award compensation in respect of any goods distrained and sold of an amount equal to the amount which, in the opinion of the court, would be awarded by way of special damages in respect of the goods if proceedings were brought in trespass or otherwise in connection with the irregularity under regulation 45(7).

(4) If the court is satisfied that an attempted levy was irregular, it may by order require the authority to desist from levying in the manner giving rise to the irregularity.

The appellant makes a complaint to a justice of the peace and requests the issue of a summons requiring the authority whichlevied, or attempted to levy, the distress to appear before the court to answer to the matter bywhich the person is aggrieved. It is the local authority, and not the person who levied thedistress on their behalf, who must answer such a complaint in the magistrates’ court.

I think that means an N244 application which you can download here

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n244_e.pdf

TT, any comment?

SUGGESTED LETTER

The Chief Clerk

Anytown Magistrates Court

Address

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to request that you issue a Summons against --Enter name of City Council-- by virtue of Regulation 46 Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regs 1992.

I am aggrieved by the levy carried out by ......... on ......... because the levy clearly fails to meet the requirements set out in the case of Ann Ambrose -v- Nottingham City Council.

I enclose a copy of the inventory that was left by ......... following the levy.

I trust this will be sufficient and please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further information.

Yours faithfully

I can't take the credit for finding that one - it looks great!