• Tweets

• Bookmakers use betting on political events to entice new customers, and say it is growing.View the full article
    • nope  and  neither dx
    • Ok Thank you DX will do just that . will keep you up dated.
    • dispute it with whichever cra provider is now showing it. simply state the a/c is from 2015 and was defaulted (date) and should not have re appeared. probably getting ready to sell it on. dx
    • Hi Caught Shoplifting at John Lewis - Retail loss Prevention/Other shoplifting allegations. - Consumer Action Group Thanks a lot for commenting this experience of yours. I do understand this might be something that you are not willing to talk about anymore but the same exact scenario happened with me today at John Lewis. They took my name/ address/ a picture of me holding a signed banned letter. the only questions I've got are... will I be contacted by the police will this be recorded as police caution or criminal record?  I would really really appreciate if you could let me know how it went.  I am so so so ashamed of myself and am really making changes in my life I feel like I've lost myself for a period of my life but anyways it would be really great to hear back. Thanks 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Late charges

wiggins
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6239 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can anyone tell me if i can claim back late fees from a credit card account?? Surely if the payment is made does it really matter when they receive it??

Any advise please.

Lloyds TSB £816.67 ***WON***

:D

Abbey Bank £705.00 ***WON***

Mbna Europe £365.00 ***WON***

Halifax a/c 1 £335... ***WON***

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE, YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO DO IT!!!

My claim was all about late charges, sent the prem lim letter and got 60% back without doing anything else ! Your get a standard letter back claiming they did nothing wrong and they will offer u some money to shut u up. Read the posts it will give u some encouragement to go all the way to the full amount.

• 9 months later...

Hello to all.Just a quick one about late charges.I have got on the phone to the Halifax about late credit card charges,to ask for statements for the past six years,and they told me that if its for puting a claim in for charges it is only for current bank accounts not credit cards or late payments is this right.Then he stoped what he was telling me and says he should not be telling me this and told me there was a fee of £10.00 for the statements for credit cards and i have to send a letter to them for the statements and went of the phone ? with no address to send to.Ajk

Hello ajk,

It sounds like the person who you spoke to may well be using delaying tactics, or just hoping that you won't pursue a claim at all.

You can claim for credit cards, bank accounts, building society accounts or any type of account where charges are considered to be excessive, unlawful and unfair!!!

You will need to send them a letter & a £10 fee in order to get your account statements, but don't worry, you can claim this back too, that is if they don't send this payment back to you as some banks have.

The link below will give you a letter template you can use to request your statement/breakdown of charges

1. Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request letter - List of charges

Here is a link for the contact details of the banks, hopefully what you need is here.

Contact Details For Banks

There only appears to be one address for the Halifax, I don't know if this address is for bank accounts and credit cards. It might be worth while phoning them on the number listed on your credit card statement just to make sure.

Alternatively, if Halifax credit cards are managed by MBNA then it will be a different address from the one shown in the contact details link.

Best of luck

Hedgerow

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Hedgerow vbmenu_register("postmenu_762752", true); thanks for your email sorry for the delay i sent a letter to the halifax with the dates ect of the charges,and was waiting to get a reply before coming back to you.Well today i got a letter back from them saying that they have carried out an investigation of my complaint and they are satisfied that the charges have been correctly applied to my account.They say i opend the account and agreed to there terms and conditions which explained that charges would be applied if you did not keep to the termss of the account.We apply these charges because when customers have insufficient funds in their account to cover a payment this means additional work for them as a result they feel it is reasonable to charge for this service.I would not mind but i have been short by pence for a direct debit can i still claim or is it not worth the effort i worked out its only around £280.00 and all for up to 4p short in my account thanks Ajk

Hello ajk,

The response you have received from halifax is a standard reply, I have had letters with similar replies from my banks to.

Don't be put off by this, they will try anything they can to deter you from making a claim.

It's a pain when they apply charges for the sake of a few pence, I've had this happen, but they have to draw the line somewhere.

I would claim for everything you can, although £280 is a smaller amount it is better off in your pocket than theirs. The fact of the matter remains that they are in breach of the 'unfair terms and conditions act' with their excessive charges.

Best of luck

Hedgerow ;)

Hi thanks for your reply should i send another letter to them saying i do not agree and i would like to take more actions against them or what would be the best action to take now thanks Ajk

ajk

I agree with Hedgerow, ignore the standard letter stuff and go for it! - you need to start with the prelim letter.

In my own experience of claiming against 3 banks, Halifax have proved to be the easiest to deal with and offer a little xtra. On the bank side, they settled in full to the tune of £4200 after initially offering £2500 after prelim. On the credit card side, they offered £300 after prelim on my claim of £600 for repayment of late fees - this is now on LBA for the full amount and I expect settlement soon in line with their banking brothers.

Of the other 2, Lloyds TSB are the most stubborn and will go all the way to a court date before coughing up - no offers made and currently in court action for £3800.

Finally at the bottom of the pile there is the nightmare that is MBNA administration - say no more! After waiiting 80 days for my SAR to come back, this is now on LBA for £800.

Hi ajk,

I would start the ball rolling now with the preliminary letter (link below) and just keep to your timescales. They have to reply to you.

2. Letter - Preliminary approach for repayment.

The 14 days will soon slip by then you can send the LBA

3. Letter before action - Consumer version - asking for it back

After that, it's showtime! :)

Hedgerow